May 31, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Thank you sir, may I have another.
“Jack Mac” is on fire, and the whole country is recognizing it. The 20-year-old striker cashed three more goals in five matches in May, earning him the North American Soccer Reporters Player of the Month award for the second straight month.
That gives him nine on the season in just 13 matches for the Philadelphia Union, tied for the MLS Golden Boot lead with Marco Di Viao.
McInerney’s three goals this month came in three different ways – a free kick, a header, and right-footed far post strike.
Two of those goals were the only goal of the match in 1-0 Philadelphia wins over Chicago. That gives him 6 game-winning goals in the last two months.
It doesn’t count for the voting technically, but McInerney also scored the opening goal in Philly’s much-more-difficult-than-it-should-have-been win over Ocean City in the U.S. Open Cup.
The May vote was a little closer than April. He nudged out Portland goalkeeper Donovon Ricketts by just one vote, and Tim Cahill and Di Viao were both two votes back of that.
- Jose Mourinho, once again, wins tactical battle against Arsene Wenger 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 8
- Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea: Organized Blues defending effectively ends title race 0
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 4
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0