May 31, 2013, 5:50 PM EST
Headed out the door at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea’s Yossi Benayoun has made it clear he wishes to play in the United States as soon as possible.
“I finish my contract on 30th June” Benayoun told Sky Sports. “At the moment I’m in talks with several European teams. I’m checking my options but, to tell you the truth, America is one of my favourite options. I’m trying to do everything I can to come to America and play in the MLS, and hopefully it works out in the next few weeks.”
The Israeli international said he was very close to signing a deal with the New York Red Bulls last summer, but now he’s “checking his options” says agent Ronen Katzav.
Katzav says the idea to come to Major League Soccer stems from Benayoun’s desire for a new challenge. “We also have options in Europe – Spain, Germany and, of course, England a few clubs, top leagues” Katzav said. “But we’re trying to change a little bit the mentality of life a little bit from Europe. You know when you are a football player, one of the things is to test. To test things and maybe to change some things to another country, another mentality, another way of life and another football.”
New York have been on the lookout for a fit to be their third Designated Player – a slot which lies empty at the moment. Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh quieted talks of a move for Kaka or Eric Abidal, but it appears Benayoun would be willing to make the switch.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 4
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)