May 31, 2013, 5:50 PM EST
Headed out the door at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea’s Yossi Benayoun has made it clear he wishes to play in the United States as soon as possible.
“I finish my contract on 30th June” Benayoun told Sky Sports. “At the moment I’m in talks with several European teams. I’m checking my options but, to tell you the truth, America is one of my favourite options. I’m trying to do everything I can to come to America and play in the MLS, and hopefully it works out in the next few weeks.”
The Israeli international said he was very close to signing a deal with the New York Red Bulls last summer, but now he’s “checking his options” says agent Ronen Katzav.
Katzav says the idea to come to Major League Soccer stems from Benayoun’s desire for a new challenge. “We also have options in Europe – Spain, Germany and, of course, England a few clubs, top leagues” Katzav said. “But we’re trying to change a little bit the mentality of life a little bit from Europe. You know when you are a football player, one of the things is to test. To test things and maybe to change some things to another country, another mentality, another way of life and another football.”
New York have been on the lookout for a fit to be their third Designated Player – a slot which lies empty at the moment. Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh quieted talks of a move for Kaka or Eric Abidal, but it appears Benayoun would be willing to make the switch.
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 5
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire
- Report: Man City Prepare $278 Million Offer for Lionel Messi
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit