Jun 1, 2013, 7:36 PM EST
Having just won the European treble in dominating fashion, Bayern Munich can add one more title to their cabinet.
In an absolutely fascinating, well-written report done yearly by British brand analysis company BrandFinance, the Bavarian giants have leapfrogged Manchester United to take over the title of most valuable brand in the world of soccer.
Thanks to the spectacular season, Bayern is now valued at $860 million, which is “driven by on-field success and backed by off-field stability and scale” according to the report. That’s a 9% jump from last year’s $786 million.
Manchester United, thanks to their Champions League disappointment and the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson, saw a drop of 2% to $837 million, down from last year’s $853 million.
Real Madrid are a distant third at $621 million, although they are one of just two clubs along with United to receive a AAA+ brand rating from the report.
The report also details the growing reliance and wealth drawn from sponsorships, as well touching on on the growth of the Bundesliga and a mention of the Manchester United owners, the Glazer family.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 4
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)