Jun 1, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
Will someone please tell Jack Mac it’s not May anymore? Or April?
Having won the Player of the Month the last two months, McInerney scored early into stoppage time to level the match for Philadelphia at 1-1 against Toronto, snatching a point for the Union on the road. He was left surprisingly open and unmarked on the backside of a corner and hit far post.
This is the second time McInerney has undone Toronto late. He scored his fourth goal of the season in the 93rd minute back in April to grab a 1-1 draw in that match as well. He’d had a goal disallowed just two minutes before that.
Today’s 91st minute equalizer gives McInerney 10 goals on the season, good enough for sole possession of first place on the chart with second place Marco Di Viao yet to play tonight.
The draw gives Philadelphia a three-point cushion in the last playoff spot in the East, although every team below them has at least one game in hand.
The 20-year-old sensation was also selected yesterday for the preliminary Gold Cup roster for the U.S. Men’s National Team, hoping to grab his first cap at the senior level.
Is there anything Jack Mac can’t do at the moment?
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 1
- Angel Di Maria wants to leave Real Madrid, rejects new contract 0
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 11
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 0
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 2