Jun 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
What German goalkeeper Marc Andre ter-Stegen could have been thinking, attempting a fancy ball fake so close to his own goal, only he could say.
(German manager Joachim Low certainly couldn’t figure it out!)
It really was a sensationally ridiculous goal to concede. And for a German! Those guys are known for pragmatism off the field and for soccer made simple on it. Yes, they have loosened up under the last two managers, Jurgen Kinsmann and Joachim Low … but hijinks? Who expected hijinks?
Here is the second goal in the United States’ 4-3 upset win Sunday at sold-out RFK Stadium:
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 10
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 6
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0