Jun 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
What German goalkeeper Marc Andre ter-Stegen could have been thinking, attempting a fancy ball fake so close to his own goal, only he could say.
(German manager Joachim Low certainly couldn’t figure it out!)
It really was a sensationally ridiculous goal to concede. And for a German! Those guys are known for pragmatism off the field and for soccer made simple on it. Yes, they have loosened up under the last two managers, Jurgen Kinsmann and Joachim Low … but hijinks? Who expected hijinks?
Here is the second goal in the United States’ 4-3 upset win Sunday at sold-out RFK Stadium:
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0
- Chelsea confirm season-long loan deal for Radamel Falcao 2
- MLS preview: Timbers vs. Earthquakes, Galaxy vs. Toronto FC headline Week 18 0
- US Vice President Joe Biden to attend USWNT’s World Cup final vs. Japan 2
- USA vs. Guatemala preview: USMNT’s final tune-up before 2015 Gold Cup 0