Jun 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
What German goalkeeper Marc Andre ter-Stegen could have been thinking, attempting a fancy ball fake so close to his own goal, only he could say.
(German manager Joachim Low certainly couldn’t figure it out!)
It really was a sensationally ridiculous goal to concede. And for a German! Those guys are known for pragmatism off the field and for soccer made simple on it. Yes, they have loosened up under the last two managers, Jurgen Kinsmann and Joachim Low … but hijinks? Who expected hijinks?
Here is the second goal in the United States’ 4-3 upset win Sunday at sold-out RFK Stadium:
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 1
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 2
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6
- Ahead of Atlanta’s expected MLS entry, are NFL stadium shares the way to go? 12
- Premier League Preview: Man City host Sunderland, Everton face Palace 0