Jun 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
What German goalkeeper Marc Andre ter-Stegen could have been thinking, attempting a fancy ball fake so close to his own goal, only he could say.
(German manager Joachim Low certainly couldn’t figure it out!)
It really was a sensationally ridiculous goal to concede. And for a German! Those guys are known for pragmatism off the field and for soccer made simple on it. Yes, they have loosened up under the last two managers, Jurgen Kinsmann and Joachim Low … but hijinks? Who expected hijinks?
Here is the second goal in the United States’ 4-3 upset win Sunday at sold-out RFK Stadium:
- MLS weekend preview: Conference leaders, surging Galaxy take to NBC, NBCSN 0
- Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history 0
- Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million? 8
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 6
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 2