Jun 2, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
What German goalkeeper Marc Andre ter-Stegen could have been thinking, attempting a fancy ball fake so close to his own goal, only he could say.
(German manager Joachim Low certainly couldn’t figure it out!)
It really was a sensationally ridiculous goal to concede. And for a German! Those guys are known for pragmatism off the field and for soccer made simple on it. Yes, they have loosened up under the last two managers, Jurgen Kinsmann and Joachim Low … but hijinks? Who expected hijinks?
Here is the second goal in the United States’ 4-3 upset win Sunday at sold-out RFK Stadium:
- WATCH: Men In Blazers recap derby weekend, visit with Brandon McCarthy 0
- MLS salaries released, showing Kaka nets MLS-record $7.1 million 4
- Report: Chivas USA to suspend operations for at least 2 years 3
- Stoke City 1-0 Newcastle: Crouch’s header sinks Newcastle, Pardew deeper (video) 0
- Report: Minnesota United’s Miguel Ibarra to get US national team call-up 2
- Premier League Playback: Can Chelsea stay unbeaten throughout 2014-15? 0