Jun 2, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
Crap morning for footie news, folks. Some days are gonna be like that. Can’t worry about it.
So here’s the deal. I figure if you’re reading this blog now, you’re probably an American dude/gal who likes U.S. Soccer. (I mean, I’d like to think us studs at Pro Soccer Talk have regulars from outside the U.S., but honestly, I have no freaking clue.)
Anyway, quick question –
If the U.S. gets pumped by two or three goals today – would journos be justified in calling for Jurgen Klinsmann’s head?
I could see it happening.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of them.
No, my friends, I, personally, would not call for Klinsy’s firing or discuss how guys like Bruce Arena, or, dare I say it, Sir Alex Ferguson, could be the USMNT’s white knight guide into the World Cup. I won’t do that.
But some journos might.
They might say something like – ‘Look we’ve got 12 months until Brazil. We look like crap, we need to qualify, and it appears Klinsmann may have lost the dressing room‘.
Would they be justified?
POST-MATCH UPDATE: That’s called the reverse jinx, guys. Happy to write it anytime if it will result in a win like that. Fantastic victory for the U.S. on its 100th birthday.
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 0
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- Update: Storm in Istanbul sees Galatasaray-Juventus abandoned in UEFA Champions League 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014