About MLS Player of the Week Diego Fagundez. The answer to your question is, “No, he’s not an American citizen.”
Jun 3, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
The newest “It kids” of Major League Soccer keep getting younger, don’t they?
First it was Jack McInerney, the Philadelphia Union striker who pretty much scores a goal every time somebody asks, “What time is kickoff on Saturday?” He’s 20 years old.
Now, it’s Diego Fagundez, the wonder boy from New England, who just hit a goal in his fourth consecutive MLS match. No wonder he’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week.
Now, with U.S. national team material so fresh in everyone’s mind (Wassup, Germany!), and with important World Cup qualifiers ahead, here’s where everyone is leaning on young Fagundez and his burst into prominence.
They want to know if he’s U.S. national team eligible.
The answer is “no.” Not yet, at least.
Fagundez was born in Uruguay, but moved to a Boston suburb at age 5. He grew up through the American soccer system and signed with the Revs as a Homegrown Player at age 15.
He has appeared for Uruguay’s under-20 team, but that won’t bind him to the South American nation. On the other hand, Fagundez cannot appear for the U.S. national team until he gains citizenship.
He talks about all that a little bit here. Meanwhile, we all wait to see which way this one goes.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes