Jun 3, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
Cruz Azul drawn with LA Galaxy?
Club Tijuana grouped with Houston Dynamo?
Ah, man. Sucks for the Galaxy and Dynamo — that’s a tough draw — but they have a chance. Besides, they’ll get two really good games. Their gans will get a marquee match at home. Who knows when CONCACAF changed the rules preventing Major League Soccer entrants from being group with Liga MX’s, but it must have happened. After all, these clubs were drawn together.
Thing is, the rules hadn’t changed, and it was only after the initial draw of 24 teams into eight, three-team groups that CONCACAF realized they’d screwed up. So after doing it all over again, the Mexican and U.S.-based MLS clubs finally knew who they’ll face first in 2013-14′s Champions League:
Arabe Unido (Panama)
Houston Dynamo (United States)
W Connection (Caribbean/Trinidad & Tobago)
Sporting Kansas City (United States)
Real Esteli (Nicaragua)
Herediano (Costa Rica)
Cruz Azul (Mexico)
Alajuelense (Costa Rica)
Sporting San Miguelito (Panama)
San Jose Earthquakes (United States)
Montreal Impact (Canada)
To be determined Guatemalan team
Caledonia FC (Caribbean/Trinidad & Tobago)
Club Tijuana (Mexico)
Luis Angel Firpo (El Salvador)
LA Galaxy (United States)
Isidro Metapan (El Salvador)
Cartagines (Costa Rica)
For MLS fans, it’s always interesting to see where Canada’s representative is drawn. This year, a struggling San Jose team has the misfortune of being put in the same group as the surging impact.
Houston appears to have a manageable (read: easy) draw in Group A, Olimpia is tricky but manageable for Sporting in Group B, while LA gets Isidro Metapan for the second straight year.
I’m not picking the Salvadorians this time.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 5
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)