Jun 4, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
Credit to Joshua Mayers of The Seattle Times for a good little nugget today, that ticket sales for Saturday’s Cascadia Cup contest at CenturyLink Field against Vancouver have already topped 50,000. That’s with four days to sell a few more seats.
As Mayers points out, that already positions this one as a Top Five for the Sounders, who have had some amazing crowds inside their downtown facility. He’s got the list here.
The all-time record (66,452) came just a few months back in a resounding 3-0 win over, yep, that other Pacific Northwest rival, the Portland Timbers. That one, in fact, was the the second-largest crowd in league history for a stand-alone game. (That is, an MLS match that isn’t partnered with an international contest. That ain’t fightin’ fair, attendance comparison-wise.)
But also credit Mayers for picking up on this little gem:
When the crowd at CenturyLink does top 50,000, the Sounders are a perfect 4-0 with a goal margin of 11-1. You know, one or two results might be passed off as flukes or just statistically insignificant. But we’re getting closer to a significant sample here.
Or, if you think four qualifies, well, holler at me. I know a guy.
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 0
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 5
- Premier League Playback: Looking back at a memorable 2014-15 season 0
- Didier Drogba open to Major League Soccer move after leaving Chelsea 8
- Real Madrid president asked what’s wrong with Carlo Ancelotti: “I don’t know” 2
- In a career full of blunders, firing Carlo Ancelotti is Florentino Perez’s worst mistake yet 7