Jun 6, 2013, 6:56 PM EST
We mentioned about a month ago how silly Marouane Fellaini’s £23 million release clause is and why it will keep him from returning to Everton next season.
It was rumored David Moyes would be using his new resources at Manchester United to bring his Belgian star with him to Old Trafford.
Now, it seems instead Arsene Wenger may be jumping on the value and doing his best to bring the fro to The Emirates. Word is Arsenal have triggered Fellaini’s release clause and are confident of tying up a deal for the midfielder in the next week or two.
Arsenal are often seen as a break-even club when it comes to transfer policy, but just today Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis told the media Arsenal are prepared to spend.
“We could do that, we could do more than that,” Gazidis said when asked about possible transfers at the top level, with Wayne Rooney cited by the media as a benchmark. “We have a certain amount which we’ve held in reserve and we also have new revenue streams coming on board. All of these things mean we can do some things which would excite you. We can think about all kinds of things.”
If Fellaini were to be persuaded to join Wenger, it would smash Arsenal’s transfer record of £15 million ($23.4 million) paid for Russian striker Andrey Arshavin.
The 25-year-old scored 11 goals and assisted 6 others in 31 Premier League appearances for Everton this past season.
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 0
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 0
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 0
- Report: Houston Dynamo the front-runner to land Erick ‘Cubo’ Torres 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Man United’s romp, Arsenal’s form and more 0
- Dreams do come true: DC United seal deal for new stadium they will call home 0