Jun 7, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Okay if that headline brought you here on a Friday afternoon then you’re probably expecting something pretty weird and off-the- cuff, well, here it is.
Manchester United’s superstar striker Wayne Rooney is now the face of Mister Potato, the clubs official snack partner.
The England international’s latest role as “the face of Mister Potato” is sure to see plenty of jokes cracked about him across the soccer world.
Rooney has appeared on a poster in Malaysia holding the snack. This picture is sure to bring plenty of amusement to Manchester United’s rival fans, as Rooney is often called out for his appearance and has been described as “the spud-faced nipper” by one publication.
Mister Potato is a large snack company that makes potato chips and other delicious commodities. They are United’s “official snack partner” in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Korea, China, Australia, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Brazil, Paraguay, Peru and Africa.
Those are a whole bunch of places we are about to see Rooney’s grinning face popping up with the words “Mister Potato” emblazoned next to it. Brilliant.
But this reminds me, haven’t some other soccer players got involved with some pretty embarrassing ad campaigns in the past? Oh yes, take a look at these beauties.
David Beckham scribbling with a Sharpie… who thought that would be a good idea?
Thierry Henry tried becoming a musician for French car company Renault…
The acting of former England captain and head coach Kevin Keegan is excruciatingly bad in this old school Brut commercial. Wowza.
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 0
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 4
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 9
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 4
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 5
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8