Jun 8, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
New York Red Bulls left back Roy Miller (pictured) is the man of the moment down in Costa Rica, where his goal Friday for the Ticos was the winner over visiting Honduras in the National Stadium of San Jose.
Playing a “winnable” game at home and facing a tough trip into Mexico on Tuesday, this is one Costa Rica absolutely had to have.
The news wasn’t so great for Sierra Leone on Saturday. Sporting Kansas City’s Kei Kamara struck in the 39th minute for what looked like an big goal in African semifinal round qualifying. That gave the home team a 1-0 lead, which gradually evolved into a 2-1 lead late.
But it was absolute heartbreak for Kamara and his teammates when Tunisia’s Fakhreddine Ben Youssef equalized in the 90th minute in Freetown. Now, instead of being right on the Tunisians’ backside for that place in final round qualifying, Sierra Leone sits a distant second, five points behind the leaders with just two matches remaining.
Only the group winner (among a foursome of nations) goes through to final round qualifying later this year in Africa.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England