Jun 8, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
New York Red Bulls left back Roy Miller (pictured) is the man of the moment down in Costa Rica, where his goal Friday for the Ticos was the winner over visiting Honduras in the National Stadium of San Jose.
Playing a “winnable” game at home and facing a tough trip into Mexico on Tuesday, this is one Costa Rica absolutely had to have.
The news wasn’t so great for Sierra Leone on Saturday. Sporting Kansas City’s Kei Kamara struck in the 39th minute for what looked like an big goal in African semifinal round qualifying. That gave the home team a 1-0 lead, which gradually evolved into a 2-1 lead late.
But it was absolute heartbreak for Kamara and his teammates when Tunisia’s Fakhreddine Ben Youssef equalized in the 90th minute in Freetown. Now, instead of being right on the Tunisians’ backside for that place in final round qualifying, Sierra Leone sits a distant second, five points behind the leaders with just two matches remaining.
Only the group winner (among a foursome of nations) goes through to final round qualifying later this year in Africa.
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes