Jun 8, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
20-year-old Colombian striker Olmes Garcia grabbed his third and fourth goals of the season as the brace proves the difference against the LA Galaxy, leading Real Salt Lake to a 3-1 victory.
Garcia’s 4 goals this season have now directly provided 5 points for Real Salt Lake. He scored their only goal of a 1-1 draw with Vancouver, he picked up an 89th minute winner against New England, and this brace grabbed the win against the Galaxy.
Garcia, a 61st minute substitute, left ‘em late. He picked up the winner in the 84th minute with a ridiculously difficult header, redirecting to the far top corner on a cross from outside the box. Then he put it out of reach with his second in stoppage time, staying cool as a cucumber on a one-on-one situation that seemed all too easy.
The win puts Real Salt Lake a point out of first place, with an advantage on goal differential, over FC Dallas.
The win in front of their home crowd not only vindicates a 2-0 loss to the Galaxy earlier this season, but also continues a strong season for a squad that has become a dominating force in MLS despite flying under the radar in the mainstream media while the Galaxy take many of the headlines. The two teams have both found success in two completely different ways the past few seasons.
Landon Donovan scored for Los Angeles just before halftime to draw level at the time, but it wasn’t enough to add to their 21 point total on the season.
The RSL win ended a streak of luck for the away side, with the visitors having won the last four matchups between these two sides.
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs