Jun 9, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Two days after reports broke linking Liverpool with a move for Carlos Tevez, Manchester City is now prepared to offer a two year deal to re-sign the Argentine international.
Funny how that happens.
On Thursday, news out of Anfield was that Liverpool were considering a shock move for Tevez as a potential replacement for Luis Suarez, who recently spoke of his desire to leave England.
The natural stumbling block for the Reds was that Tevez, who makes around £200,000 ($305k) per week in wages, could prove to be too expensive. That cost, however, was to be off-set by the transfer of Suarez, whose transfer fee would likely be in the range of £30-40 million ($46m-61m).
Liverpool was believed to be weighing up a bid in the range of £8 million ($12.2m) for the City front-man, who has just one year left on his contract at the Eastlands. Whether such a low bid would be enough to entice the Citizens to sell the striker who scored 17 goals in all competitions last season, however, remained unclear.
But that guess-work was removed this weekend as it is now understood that new City manager Manuel Pellegrini would like to retain Tevez at the Etihad Stadium. Pellegrini will hold talks with Tevez once he returns from international duty with Argentina and is expected to offer the striker a two year contract extension.
City are believed to be keen on reshaping their squad following the departure of Roberto Mancini. Pellegrini is a long time admirer of Tevez and Sergio Aguero, meaning that if sales are to be made it will likely be Edin Dzeko who receives the axe.
Numerous clubs are interested in the Bosnian’s service – including Chelsea, Napoli, Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund – and it is believed that City may even swap Dzeko in a deal for Edinson Cavani or Robert Lewandowski.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 8
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 6
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 4
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1