Jose Mourinho’s unveiling proves one thing hasn’t changed: It’s still all about himself

Jun 10, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-CHELSEA-MOURINHO Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has proven himself on the touchline. He’s won silverware at the highest level, and as far as tactics and player evaluation is concerned, Chelsea have made a fantastic move bringing him back to Stamford Bridge.

That was true on his first go with Roman Abramovich, and it’s true now.

One other thing hasn’t changed about him though, one thing I could absolutely do without – no matter what the subject, with Jose Mourinho, it’s always about Jose Mourinho.

The man can turn any conversation into something about himself, and everyone not involved with Chelsea is just going to have to get used to it.

Again.

I get it, it’s an unveiling, so the event is focused on Chelsea’s new man. But even there it got a little out of hand.

Jose, can you talk about how it’s similar or different the second time around at Chelsea? “I have the same nature, I’m the same person, I have the same heart, I have the same kind of emotions related to my passion for football and my job,” he said. “But I’m of course a different person. In this moment if I have to describe myself, I describe myself as a very happy person. It’s the first time I arrive in a club where I already love the club.”

Jose, could you talk about your relationship with Roman? “I read and I keep hearing that I was fired, I was sacked, we had a complete breakdown of our relationship – that was not true. Many didn’t believe that but it was a mutual agreement. We thought it was best for both of us, for me and the club.”

Jose, could you talk about how the beginning of this tenure is different than the last? “Nine years is a big difference. When I arrived here in 2004, you pushed me a lot in that first press conference to have a stronger approach, and in this moment the situation is different. You know me, you know my history in the British game, you know my history in the European game, so I don’t think I need that approach, I just want to be calm.”

There are plenty of different directions he could have taken that press conference, but he chose the most self-absorbed approach. He hardly mentioned the club. Heck, if you listened to the press conference on its own without any prior knowledge, you’d have no idea what team he’d just signed on with!

He barely mentioned the players on the club. He did once, but it was still about him. “There are still a few boys from my (first) time (at Chelsea) . It is always good to go back and see these people who gave absolutely everything to me when I was here. But it’s important to tell you – not them, because they know – that there is no privilege for them.”

Mourinho even rebranded himself. He dubbed himself ‘The Happy One.’ Seriously? Can you get more narcisstic than that? If ‘The Special One’ wasn’t bad enough, he had to not only bring it back up, but update it. Yeesh.

It’s always the same with Jose. It’s what drove him out of Real Madrid. It’s what drove him out of Chelsea the first time. Hopefully Roman Abramovich knows what he’s getting into – how can he not – because if Roman doesn’t make it totally about Jose this time around, it will finish just as the first go-around did.

However, if Abramovich does agree to put his manager before his club, his players, and himself, Mourinho could flourish, and so could Chelsea. We’ll just have to deal with the arrogance and self-absorption that’s been so refreshing to be without the last 6 years. Alas, it’s returned to London and the Premier League.

Latest Posts
  1. Manchester City’s Zabaleta believes Diego Costa luckily escaped red card

Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT

manchester-city-pablo-zabaleta Getty Images

Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta thinks the referee let Diego Costa off without a red card during their encounter that spurred a red card for the Argentine.

2. Barcelona stays undefeated with 5-0 drubbing of Levante

Sep 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT

FC Barcelona v SL Benfica - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Barcelona beat Levante 5-0 on Sunday to continue their winning streak in all competitions.

3. Joe Hart’s Manchester City future in limbo, Liverpool may target the goalkeeper

Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT

Can England start to churn out talents such as Joe Hart from SGP on a regular basis? Getty Images

Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.

4. Merseyside police to explore racist comments at Mario Balotelli

Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT

hi-res-133f09d31924ea9d682e1f1a8a3ffef1_crop_north Getty Images

More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.

5. Mesut Ozil, Danny Welbeck brandish skills in 3-0 win over Aston Villa

Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT

Mesut Özil returns for Arsenal as they attempt to reclaim the top of the Premier League table with a win over Stoke. AP

Mesut Ozil and Danny Welbeck scored and assisted each other during the Gunners 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

6. WATCH: Alessandro Florenzi embraces grandmother in stands after goal

Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Unknown Getty Images

Alessandro Florenzi hugged and kissed his grandmother in the Stade Olimpico stands following his goal in AS Roma’s 2-0 victory over Cagliari.

7. Roberto Martinez on Crystal Palace loss: ‘We didn’t have that real drive about us’

Sep 21, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT

Martinez AP

Everton manager Roberto Martinez laments loss to Crystal Palace, saying that his squad lost its drive for victory.

8. Daniel Sturridge reacts to Lampard’s equalizer against Chelsea

Sep 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Lampard Getty Images

One England international paid respects to another as a legend scored an emotional goal for his new team against his old.

9. Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

Lampard AP

We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.

10. Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

Zabaleta AP

Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.

11. Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Visitors overwhelm Goodson with deadly counters (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

PalaceEverton

Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.

12. Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter

Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT

Balotelli AP

Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.

13. VIDEO: Angel Di Maria scores stunning chip for Manchester United

Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

ManchesterUnited AP

Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.

14. Watch Live: Everton vs. Crystal Palace (Lineups)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Everton Getty Images

Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.

15. Watch Live: Manchester City vs. Chelsea (Lineups)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT

Costa AP

Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.

16. Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

LCFCvMUFC Getty Images

Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.

17. Tottenham 0-1 West Brom: Baggies get off the bottom with deserved win (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

WestBrom Getty Images

Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.

18. Leeds United makes move for manager Darko Milanic

Sep 21, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT

Milanic Getty Images

Championship side Leeds is dipping into Eastern Europe to find their new manager.

19. Goals flying as Manchester United lead Leicester City 2-1 before 20 minutes

Sep 21, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT

ManchesterUnited Getty Images

King Power Stadium is bursting with attacking skill as three goals have come within the opening 20 minutes.

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals