Jose Mourinho’s unveiling proves one thing hasn’t changed: It’s still all about himself

Jun 10, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-CHELSEA-MOURINHO Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has proven himself on the touchline. He’s won silverware at the highest level, and as far as tactics and player evaluation is concerned, Chelsea have made a fantastic move bringing him back to Stamford Bridge.

That was true on his first go with Roman Abramovich, and it’s true now.

One other thing hasn’t changed about him though, one thing I could absolutely do without – no matter what the subject, with Jose Mourinho, it’s always about Jose Mourinho.

The man can turn any conversation into something about himself, and everyone not involved with Chelsea is just going to have to get used to it.

Again.

I get it, it’s an unveiling, so the event is focused on Chelsea’s new man. But even there it got a little out of hand.

Jose, can you talk about how it’s similar or different the second time around at Chelsea? “I have the same nature, I’m the same person, I have the same heart, I have the same kind of emotions related to my passion for football and my job,” he said. “But I’m of course a different person. In this moment if I have to describe myself, I describe myself as a very happy person. It’s the first time I arrive in a club where I already love the club.”

Jose, could you talk about your relationship with Roman? “I read and I keep hearing that I was fired, I was sacked, we had a complete breakdown of our relationship – that was not true. Many didn’t believe that but it was a mutual agreement. We thought it was best for both of us, for me and the club.”

Jose, could you talk about how the beginning of this tenure is different than the last? “Nine years is a big difference. When I arrived here in 2004, you pushed me a lot in that first press conference to have a stronger approach, and in this moment the situation is different. You know me, you know my history in the British game, you know my history in the European game, so I don’t think I need that approach, I just want to be calm.”

There are plenty of different directions he could have taken that press conference, but he chose the most self-absorbed approach. He hardly mentioned the club. Heck, if you listened to the press conference on its own without any prior knowledge, you’d have no idea what team he’d just signed on with!

He barely mentioned the players on the club. He did once, but it was still about him. “There are still a few boys from my (first) time (at Chelsea) . It is always good to go back and see these people who gave absolutely everything to me when I was here. But it’s important to tell you – not them, because they know – that there is no privilege for them.”

Mourinho even rebranded himself. He dubbed himself ‘The Happy One.’ Seriously? Can you get more narcisstic than that? If ‘The Special One’ wasn’t bad enough, he had to not only bring it back up, but update it. Yeesh.

It’s always the same with Jose. It’s what drove him out of Real Madrid. It’s what drove him out of Chelsea the first time. Hopefully Roman Abramovich knows what he’s getting into – how can he not – because if Roman doesn’t make it totally about Jose this time around, it will finish just as the first go-around did.

However, if Abramovich does agree to put his manager before his club, his players, and himself, Mourinho could flourish, and so could Chelsea. We’ll just have to deal with the arrogance and self-absorption that’s been so refreshing to be without the last 6 years. Alas, it’s returned to London and the Premier League.

Latest Posts
  1. Now flush with “Candy Crush” cash, Derby County aiming for Premier League return

Sep 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT

Derby County v Reading - Capital One Cup Third Round Getty Images

As it turns out, Candy Crush was worth a lot of money. So much money, in fact, that Mel Morris bought his boyhood football club.

2. Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico

Sep 3, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT

Panama v United States: Third Place - 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Panama v United States: Third Place - 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup

The USMNT returns to action for the first time since finishing fourth at the 2015 Gold Cup. Their playoff vs. Mexico is 37 days away.

3. Italy’s Serie B to introduce “green cards” for good behavior this weekend

Sep 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT

Modena FC v AC Cesena - Serie B Playoffs Getty Images

This weekend, referees will begin dishing out green cards, which mean absolutely nothing.

4. EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Iceland beat Netherlands (again), are all but qualified

Sep 3, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT

Gylfi Sigurdsson, Iceland & Swansea City FC Gylfi Sigurdsson, Iceland & Swansea City FC

Tiny, tiny Iceland are all but qualified for next summer’s EUROs after beating the might Netherlands…again.

5. England U-21s 1-0 USA U-23s: Defeat in England as Olympic qualifying looms

Sep 3, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Mario Rodriguez, USMNT U-23 Mario Rodriguez, USMNT U-23

With Olympic qualifying less than a month away, final tune-ups are underway for the US U-23 squad.

6. If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer

Sep 3, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT

Jurgen Klinsmann, USMNT Jurgen Klinsmann, USMNT

Jurgen Klinsmann’s latest comments confirm what we’ve assumed all along: he believes he is immune to criticism.

7. VIDEO: Should we be worried about Manchester United after huge overhaul?

Sep 3, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Manchester United v Newcastle United - Premier League Getty Images

Red Devils have ripped apart their title-winning team from 2013. Will things settle down anytime soon?

8. How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru?

Sep 3, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT

Cameron-Austria

Three options for the starting XI at RFK Stadium on Friday.

9. Bayern Munich to set up refugee “training camp” as humanitarian crisis deepens

Sep 3, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwe2ymq2mgvlzdu1owi2mjvkzmiwogy1ztfinwfjy2q5 AP

German champs taking a stand to help the growing number of asylum seekers arriving in Munich.

10. VIDEO: Cicerone scores another screamer in college soccer

Sep 3, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT

Source: @BullsMensSoccer Source: @BullsMensSoccer

After his game-winner from halfway last season, Cicerone is at it again.

11. USMNT move up one spot in latest FIFA World rankings

Sep 3, 2015, 8:40 AM EDT

Michael Bradley, USMNT Michael Bradley, USMNT

Klinsmann’s side move up, but remain out of the top 20.

12. Premier League Deadline Day podcast

Sep 2, 2015, 9:57 PM EDT

DeGea Getty Images

The NBC Deadline Day show is here in podcast form.

13. Martial transfer fee from Manchester United trickles down to French lower tier team

Sep 2, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

Martial Getty Images

A fraction of the transfer fee has made its way to the lower division team in France that helped mold Anthony Martial into the $55 million player he is today.

14. Men In Blazers Podcast: Deadline Day recap and Chelsea loses again

Sep 2, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT

meninblazers

Rog and Davo break down Chelsea’s loss to Crystal Palace and Swansea’s stylish win over Manchester United. Plus, a recap of transfer deadline day.

15. Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal

Sep 2, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT

Guzan Getty Images

Tim Howard looked good for Everton last weekend, but the U.S. coach says it’s too close to the Mexico game to make a change.

16. Ashley Cole is quickly being phased out at Roma

Sep 2, 2015, 5:42 PM EDT

Cole Getty Images

The former Chelsea defender is no longer listed on the team’s website and was left out of both the club’s domestic and European squads.

PST Extra: Analyzing transfer deadline day