Jose Mourinho’s unveiling proves one thing hasn’t changed: It’s still all about himself

Jun 10, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-CHELSEA-MOURINHO Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has proven himself on the touchline. He’s won silverware at the highest level, and as far as tactics and player evaluation is concerned, Chelsea have made a fantastic move bringing him back to Stamford Bridge.

That was true on his first go with Roman Abramovich, and it’s true now.

One other thing hasn’t changed about him though, one thing I could absolutely do without – no matter what the subject, with Jose Mourinho, it’s always about Jose Mourinho.

The man can turn any conversation into something about himself, and everyone not involved with Chelsea is just going to have to get used to it.

Again.

I get it, it’s an unveiling, so the event is focused on Chelsea’s new man. But even there it got a little out of hand.

Jose, can you talk about how it’s similar or different the second time around at Chelsea? “I have the same nature, I’m the same person, I have the same heart, I have the same kind of emotions related to my passion for football and my job,” he said. “But I’m of course a different person. In this moment if I have to describe myself, I describe myself as a very happy person. It’s the first time I arrive in a club where I already love the club.”

Jose, could you talk about your relationship with Roman? “I read and I keep hearing that I was fired, I was sacked, we had a complete breakdown of our relationship – that was not true. Many didn’t believe that but it was a mutual agreement. We thought it was best for both of us, for me and the club.”

Jose, could you talk about how the beginning of this tenure is different than the last? “Nine years is a big difference. When I arrived here in 2004, you pushed me a lot in that first press conference to have a stronger approach, and in this moment the situation is different. You know me, you know my history in the British game, you know my history in the European game, so I don’t think I need that approach, I just want to be calm.”

There are plenty of different directions he could have taken that press conference, but he chose the most self-absorbed approach. He hardly mentioned the club. Heck, if you listened to the press conference on its own without any prior knowledge, you’d have no idea what team he’d just signed on with!

He barely mentioned the players on the club. He did once, but it was still about him. “There are still a few boys from my (first) time (at Chelsea) . It is always good to go back and see these people who gave absolutely everything to me when I was here. But it’s important to tell you – not them, because they know – that there is no privilege for them.”

Mourinho even rebranded himself. He dubbed himself ‘The Happy One.’ Seriously? Can you get more narcisstic than that? If ‘The Special One’ wasn’t bad enough, he had to not only bring it back up, but update it. Yeesh.

It’s always the same with Jose. It’s what drove him out of Real Madrid. It’s what drove him out of Chelsea the first time. Hopefully Roman Abramovich knows what he’s getting into – how can he not – because if Roman doesn’t make it totally about Jose this time around, it will finish just as the first go-around did.

However, if Abramovich does agree to put his manager before his club, his players, and himself, Mourinho could flourish, and so could Chelsea. We’ll just have to deal with the arrogance and self-absorption that’s been so refreshing to be without the last 6 years. Alas, it’s returned to London and the Premier League.

Latest Posts
  1. Manchester United to pay Nani’s $8 million wages, in full, during loan spell

Aug 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT

Manchester United's Nani is challenged by Chelsea's Lampard for the ball during their English FA Cup quarter-final soccer match at Old Trafford in Manchester Reuters

Nani is being paid his Manchester United wages in full… to play for Sporting Lisbon.

2. Unsung hero: Luka Modric signs new four-year deal at Real Madrid

Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Before! Before!

The diminutive Croatian midfielder will remain at Real after proving himself in the Spanish capital.

3. Queens Park Rangers sign Dutch international Leroy Fer in $16 million deal

Aug 20, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT

Source: Queens Park Rangers Source: Queens Park Rangers

Fer, 24, is back in the Premier League as QPR capture box-to-box midfielder.

4. Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets

Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT

Don Garber AP

Set to arrive in MLS in 2017, the league’s newest franchise has already sold a staggering number of season tickets.

5. No Turkish delight for Arsenal: Ramsey sent off, Arteta injured, Wenger fumes

Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT

Arsene Wenger, Slaven Bilic AP

Wenger: “It’s very difficult to understand but, in the second half, the performance of the referee was very bad.”

6. Thomas Muller reveals he rejected “astronomical” offer from Manchester United

Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-MAN CITY-BAYERN MUNICH Getty Images

Muller: “The amount that foreign clubs were offering me was astronomical. But Bayern are my club.”

7. Swansea City sign Argentine defender Federico Fernandez

Aug 20, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Argentina v Bosnia-Herzegovina: Group F - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Fernandez arrives from Napoli as Swans sign Argentine center back.

8. Newly appointed Italian soccer president probed by UEFA amid racism claims

Aug 20, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT

Italy Federation Racism AP

Following his alleged racist comments, leader of Italian soccer facing lengthy ban.

9. Wednesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Carvalho to Chelsea, Zaha to Palace

Aug 20, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

Sporting Lisboa's William Carvalho celebrates his goal against Porto during their Portuguese premier league soccer match in Porto Reuters

Arsenal to miss out on Carvalho, Nastasic, as rumors continue to swirl. Check out the latest gossip, here.

10. No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal

Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT

Manchester City v Barcelona - UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Getty Images

Barcelona banned by FIFA from signing any new players from September 2014 to January 2016.

11. Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals

Aug 20, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT

Manchester United v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

Spurs set to hand Red Devils duo escape route from Old Trafford?

12. CONCACAF Champions League Roundup: Champions fall in Panama; Sporting slips at Estelí

Aug 20, 2014, 1:47 AM EDT

concacaf champions league logo

Portland victorious in CCL debut,while Club América affirmed their place as one of the competition’s favorites.

13. Where in the world is Juan Agudelo? “Munich” may soon be the answer

Aug 19, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT

Agudelo Getty Images

21-year-old striker may turn to the 2.Bundesliga to get his young career back on track.

14. Moor’s season-ending injury sends Rapids’ defense into upheaval

Aug 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

Colorado Rapids v Philadelphia Union Getty Images

Injury couldn’t have come at a worse time for slumping Colorado.

15. Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid

Aug 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

gareth_bale AP

James Rodríguez’s opener is pulled back in the 81st minute, sending the rivals to the Calderón even.

16. UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples

Aug 19, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

arsenal_besiktas AP

Steaua Bucharest, Bayer Leverkusen, and Red Bull Salzburg earned first leg wins.

17. PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo

Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Colorado Rapids v FC Dallas Getty Images

Tesho Akindele won the league’s honor, leaving is with one question: How? Teammate Fabián Castillo was clearly FC Dallas’s (and the league’s) best player.

18. Fantasyland: Week One heroes, leaders, busts, three names to monitor

Aug 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Sunderland v Udinese - Pre Season Friendly Getty Images

A pair of Liverpool midfielders let down their owners, while Hull was the key to big, big scores.

19. VIDEO: Ba hits the bar from midfield off opening kickoff vs Arsenal

Aug 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Ba 1

Demba Ba had the gumption to try and score one of the earliest goals of all-time in Besiktas’ UCL match against Arsenal on Tuesday

Top five PL goals, Week 1