Jose Mourinho’s unveiling proves one thing hasn’t changed: It’s still all about himself

Jun 10, 2013, 7:00 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-CHELSEA-MOURINHO Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has proven himself on the touchline. He’s won silverware at the highest level, and as far as tactics and player evaluation is concerned, Chelsea have made a fantastic move bringing him back to Stamford Bridge.

That was true on his first go with Roman Abramovich, and it’s true now.

One other thing hasn’t changed about him though, one thing I could absolutely do without – no matter what the subject, with Jose Mourinho, it’s always about Jose Mourinho.

The man can turn any conversation into something about himself, and everyone not involved with Chelsea is just going to have to get used to it.

Again.

I get it, it’s an unveiling, so the event is focused on Chelsea’s new man. But even there it got a little out of hand.

Jose, can you talk about how it’s similar or different the second time around at Chelsea? “I have the same nature, I’m the same person, I have the same heart, I have the same kind of emotions related to my passion for football and my job,” he said. “But I’m of course a different person. In this moment if I have to describe myself, I describe myself as a very happy person. It’s the first time I arrive in a club where I already love the club.”

Jose, could you talk about your relationship with Roman? “I read and I keep hearing that I was fired, I was sacked, we had a complete breakdown of our relationship – that was not true. Many didn’t believe that but it was a mutual agreement. We thought it was best for both of us, for me and the club.”

Jose, could you talk about how the beginning of this tenure is different than the last? “Nine years is a big difference. When I arrived here in 2004, you pushed me a lot in that first press conference to have a stronger approach, and in this moment the situation is different. You know me, you know my history in the British game, you know my history in the European game, so I don’t think I need that approach, I just want to be calm.”

There are plenty of different directions he could have taken that press conference, but he chose the most self-absorbed approach. He hardly mentioned the club. Heck, if you listened to the press conference on its own without any prior knowledge, you’d have no idea what team he’d just signed on with!

He barely mentioned the players on the club. He did once, but it was still about him. “There are still a few boys from my (first) time (at Chelsea) . It is always good to go back and see these people who gave absolutely everything to me when I was here. But it’s important to tell you – not them, because they know – that there is no privilege for them.”

Mourinho even rebranded himself. He dubbed himself ‘The Happy One.’ Seriously? Can you get more narcisstic than that? If ‘The Special One’ wasn’t bad enough, he had to not only bring it back up, but update it. Yeesh.

It’s always the same with Jose. It’s what drove him out of Real Madrid. It’s what drove him out of Chelsea the first time. Hopefully Roman Abramovich knows what he’s getting into – how can he not – because if Roman doesn’t make it totally about Jose this time around, it will finish just as the first go-around did.

However, if Abramovich does agree to put his manager before his club, his players, and himself, Mourinho could flourish, and so could Chelsea. We’ll just have to deal with the arrogance and self-absorption that’s been so refreshing to be without the last 6 years. Alas, it’s returned to London and the Premier League.

Latest Posts
  1. City’s Pellegrini concerned at home form after Arsenal, Middlesbrough losses

Jan 25, 2015, 11:33 PM EST

Britain Soccer FA Cup AP

“I am concerned, not because of Chelsea but because we didn’t score in our last two home games,” Pellegrini said.

2. Eto’o passes physical at Sampdoria, move from Everton all but official

Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 PM EST

twitter.com/sampdoria twitter.com/sampdoria

The 33-year-old Cameroonian striker joins a Sampdoria side currently tied for third in the table with 34 points.

3. Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham

Jan 25, 2015, 10:13 PM EST

Liverpool FC Training Session Getty Images

“If he’s not ready for Tuesday then he’ll be back, for sure, against West Ham next weekend,” Rodgers said.

4. Scotland, Wigan mid joins Chicago Fire as third Designated Player

Jan 25, 2015, 9:22 PM EST

twitter.com/chicagofire twitter.com/chicagofire

Maloney turned 32 on Saturday and will be unveiled by Chicago on Monday.

5. Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election

Jan 25, 2015, 8:31 PM EST

FBL-FIFA-BALLONDOR-AWARD Getty Images

Sepp Blatter: Kind of like “The Godfather”. But let’s be clear, we’re talking “The Godfather: Part III”.

6. La Liga & Serie A roundup: Valencia win in top-four battle; Juventus grow title lead to 7

Jan 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EST

Daniel Parejo, Valencia CF Daniel Parejo, Valencia CF

There’s a new top-four team in Spain, while little has changed in Italy, both for good and bad.

7. Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Congo, Equatorial Guinea victorious in group finales, advance

Jan 25, 2015, 4:28 PM EST

Javier Balboa, Equatorial Guinea Javier Balboa, Equatorial Guinea

Two of eight quarterfinals places were clinched on Sunday as the late drama continues at AFCON 2015.

8. Wenger confirms move for Brazilian defender is “very, very close”

Jan 25, 2015, 2:59 PM EST

Paulista Getty Images

A work permit still must be obtained, but Arsenal is on the cusp of securing some defensive depth.

9. Alexandre Lacazette injured at the worst possible time

Jan 25, 2015, 2:07 PM EST

Lacazette Getty Images

With 10 goals in his last six games, all of that is coming to a screeching halt.

10. FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins

Jan 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EST

Rosicky Getty Images

After yesterday’s FA Cup craziness, things were restored to normal today as all three Premier League sides went through, despite some nervy moments.

11. Standard Liege fans get “traitor” Steven Defour sent off

Jan 25, 2015, 11:43 AM EST

Defour Getty Images

Standard Liege fans responded to their former player – now with their arch rivals – in a very mean way. Defour reacted accordingly.

12. Pogba scores again, four in four, and Juventus keeps on churning

Jan 25, 2015, 10:46 AM EST

Pogba Getty Images

Four goals in his last four games has Paul Pogba on top of the world.

13. Aston Villa announces Fabian Delph extension before FA Cup match

Jan 25, 2015, 10:16 AM EST

Delph Getty Images

Aston Villa secured the services of midfielder Fabian Delph, and while that should have been an exciting announcement, the club blew it up a little too much and it fell flat on its face.

14. Report: Roma stalling on Salah could allow others to pounce

Jan 25, 2015, 9:23 AM EST

Salah Getty Images

Mohamed Salah just needed signatures to make him a Roma player, but now the Italian club could be headed in a different direction.

15. Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool

Jan 25, 2015, 7:52 AM EST

Balotelli Getty Images

Which is Balotelli and which is the practice dummy? It sounds like it’s harder for Brendan Rodgers to tell every day.

16. Radamel Falcao’s agent: I wish Sir Alex Ferguson was in charge, not Louis van Gaal

Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Radamel Falcao & Louis van Gaal, Manchester United Radamel Falcao & Louis van Gaal, Manchester United

The bitterness is flowing freely from Falcao’s agent as he plots the Colombian striker’s next move to a “world’s best-seven team.”

17. Italy head coach Antonio Conte supports Sebastian Giovinco’s move to MLS

Jan 24, 2015, 8:45 PM EST

Antonio Conte & Sebastian Giovinco, Juventus Antonio Conte & Sebastian Giovinco, Juventus

If MLS is good enough for Italian national teamers, why isn’t it good enough for U.S. national teamers?

18. La Liga & Serie A roundup: Barcelona, Madrid clubs win; AC Milan continue to free fall

Jan 24, 2015, 7:45 PM EST

Lionel Messi and Neymar, FC Barcelona Getty Images

Barcelona were stunning as they put a half-dozen past Elche, while Real stumbled to victory. Elsewhere, AC Milan are very bad.

19. USMNT U-20s defeat El Salvador, 2-0, qualify for 2015 U-20 World Cup

Jan 24, 2015, 7:04 PM EST

FIFA U20 World Cup Trophy Tour Auckland Getty Images

The Baby Yanks are headed back to the Big Dance this summer.

Top five Premier League goals: Week 22