Jose Mourinho’s unveiling proves one thing hasn’t changed: It’s still all about himself

Jun 10, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-CHELSEA-MOURINHO Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has proven himself on the touchline. He’s won silverware at the highest level, and as far as tactics and player evaluation is concerned, Chelsea have made a fantastic move bringing him back to Stamford Bridge.

That was true on his first go with Roman Abramovich, and it’s true now.

One other thing hasn’t changed about him though, one thing I could absolutely do without – no matter what the subject, with Jose Mourinho, it’s always about Jose Mourinho.

The man can turn any conversation into something about himself, and everyone not involved with Chelsea is just going to have to get used to it.

Again.

I get it, it’s an unveiling, so the event is focused on Chelsea’s new man. But even there it got a little out of hand.

Jose, can you talk about how it’s similar or different the second time around at Chelsea? “I have the same nature, I’m the same person, I have the same heart, I have the same kind of emotions related to my passion for football and my job,” he said. “But I’m of course a different person. In this moment if I have to describe myself, I describe myself as a very happy person. It’s the first time I arrive in a club where I already love the club.”

Jose, could you talk about your relationship with Roman? “I read and I keep hearing that I was fired, I was sacked, we had a complete breakdown of our relationship – that was not true. Many didn’t believe that but it was a mutual agreement. We thought it was best for both of us, for me and the club.”

Jose, could you talk about how the beginning of this tenure is different than the last? “Nine years is a big difference. When I arrived here in 2004, you pushed me a lot in that first press conference to have a stronger approach, and in this moment the situation is different. You know me, you know my history in the British game, you know my history in the European game, so I don’t think I need that approach, I just want to be calm.”

There are plenty of different directions he could have taken that press conference, but he chose the most self-absorbed approach. He hardly mentioned the club. Heck, if you listened to the press conference on its own without any prior knowledge, you’d have no idea what team he’d just signed on with!

He barely mentioned the players on the club. He did once, but it was still about him. “There are still a few boys from my (first) time (at Chelsea) . It is always good to go back and see these people who gave absolutely everything to me when I was here. But it’s important to tell you – not them, because they know – that there is no privilege for them.”

Mourinho even rebranded himself. He dubbed himself ‘The Happy One.’ Seriously? Can you get more narcisstic than that? If ‘The Special One’ wasn’t bad enough, he had to not only bring it back up, but update it. Yeesh.

It’s always the same with Jose. It’s what drove him out of Real Madrid. It’s what drove him out of Chelsea the first time. Hopefully Roman Abramovich knows what he’s getting into – how can he not – because if Roman doesn’t make it totally about Jose this time around, it will finish just as the first go-around did.

However, if Abramovich does agree to put his manager before his club, his players, and himself, Mourinho could flourish, and so could Chelsea. We’ll just have to deal with the arrogance and self-absorption that’s been so refreshing to be without the last 6 years. Alas, it’s returned to London and the Premier League.

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 1-1 New York Red Bulls

Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT

Chicago Fire v New York Red Bulls Getty Images

Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.

2. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 3-0 Colorado Rapids

Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT

New York Red Bulls v New England Revolution Getty Images

The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.

3. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 3-0 Toronto FC

Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

D.C. United's Eddie Johnson scored for the first time since being traded to the club this winter. His 84th minute goal left his team's game with Montréal tied, 1-1. (Photo: AP Photos) AP

The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.

4. Southampton’s replacement for Luke Shaw: Ryan Bertand, on loan

Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 3.46.35 PM

24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.

5. Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl

Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 4.26.41 PM

Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.

6. Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández

Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Chicharito Getty Images

Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.

7. Nick De Santis no longer sporting director in Montréal

Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT

500px-Montreal_Impact_(MLS)_logo

Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.

8. Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton

Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

MartinezLukaku Getty Images

Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.

9. NWSL implements cooling break procedure

Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT

NWSL logo

With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.

10. VIDEO: Liverpool fan from New Jersey cries, loses the plot, after meeting Gerrard

Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT

Liverpool fan

Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.

11. Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio

Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT

Brazil Soccer WCup Belgium US AP

Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.

12. Philadelphia Union sign Algerian World Cup star Rais Mbolhi

Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

Germany v Algeria: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.

13. FIFA’s senior vice-president Julio Grondona dies, Argentina mourns

Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT

FBL-WC2014-QUALIFIERS-ARG-VEN Getty Images

One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.

14. Premier League will use vanishing spray for 2014-15 season

Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Morocco Soccer Club World Cup AP

After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.

15. Manchester United’s Luke Shaw agrees he’s not fit enough after Louis van Gaal criticism

Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT

Luke Shaw Andrea Ranocchia AP

Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”

16. PHOTOS: Scantily clad Cristiano Ronaldo poses for record-breaking magazine cover

Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT

ronaldo cover final

Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.

17. VIDEO: Manchester United dominate Inter, win on penalties in Washington D.C.

Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT

International Champions Cup 2014 - Inter Milan v Manchester United Getty Images

United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.

18. Manchester United reach “verbal agreement” on $80 million Arturo Vidal deal

Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Arturo Vidal AP

Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?

19. Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton

Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Colombia v Uruguay: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.