Jose Mourinho’s unveiling proves one thing hasn’t changed: It’s still all about himself

Jun 10, 2013, 7:00 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-CHELSEA-MOURINHO Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has proven himself on the touchline. He’s won silverware at the highest level, and as far as tactics and player evaluation is concerned, Chelsea have made a fantastic move bringing him back to Stamford Bridge.

That was true on his first go with Roman Abramovich, and it’s true now.

One other thing hasn’t changed about him though, one thing I could absolutely do without – no matter what the subject, with Jose Mourinho, it’s always about Jose Mourinho.

The man can turn any conversation into something about himself, and everyone not involved with Chelsea is just going to have to get used to it.

Again.

I get it, it’s an unveiling, so the event is focused on Chelsea’s new man. But even there it got a little out of hand.

Jose, can you talk about how it’s similar or different the second time around at Chelsea? “I have the same nature, I’m the same person, I have the same heart, I have the same kind of emotions related to my passion for football and my job,” he said. “But I’m of course a different person. In this moment if I have to describe myself, I describe myself as a very happy person. It’s the first time I arrive in a club where I already love the club.”

Jose, could you talk about your relationship with Roman? “I read and I keep hearing that I was fired, I was sacked, we had a complete breakdown of our relationship – that was not true. Many didn’t believe that but it was a mutual agreement. We thought it was best for both of us, for me and the club.”

Jose, could you talk about how the beginning of this tenure is different than the last? “Nine years is a big difference. When I arrived here in 2004, you pushed me a lot in that first press conference to have a stronger approach, and in this moment the situation is different. You know me, you know my history in the British game, you know my history in the European game, so I don’t think I need that approach, I just want to be calm.”

There are plenty of different directions he could have taken that press conference, but he chose the most self-absorbed approach. He hardly mentioned the club. Heck, if you listened to the press conference on its own without any prior knowledge, you’d have no idea what team he’d just signed on with!

He barely mentioned the players on the club. He did once, but it was still about him. “There are still a few boys from my (first) time (at Chelsea) . It is always good to go back and see these people who gave absolutely everything to me when I was here. But it’s important to tell you – not them, because they know – that there is no privilege for them.”

Mourinho even rebranded himself. He dubbed himself ‘The Happy One.’ Seriously? Can you get more narcisstic than that? If ‘The Special One’ wasn’t bad enough, he had to not only bring it back up, but update it. Yeesh.

It’s always the same with Jose. It’s what drove him out of Real Madrid. It’s what drove him out of Chelsea the first time. Hopefully Roman Abramovich knows what he’s getting into – how can he not – because if Roman doesn’t make it totally about Jose this time around, it will finish just as the first go-around did.

However, if Abramovich does agree to put his manager before his club, his players, and himself, Mourinho could flourish, and so could Chelsea. We’ll just have to deal with the arrogance and self-absorption that’s been so refreshing to be without the last 6 years. Alas, it’s returned to London and the Premier League.

Latest Posts
  1. Antoine Griezmann bursts into the spotlight as Atletico downs Bilbao

Dec 21, 2014, 11:59 PM EST

Antoine+Griezmann+Getafe+CF+v+Club+Atletico+wVX6J_Xdokul

Antoine Griezmann breaks out with three goals in Atletico’s 4-1 result over Athletic Bilbao.

2. A day of Ronaldo: Real Madrid star erects statue of himself, thinks Real can win Champions League again

Dec 21, 2014, 10:21 PM EST

FBL-ESP-LIGA-REALMADRID-BARCELONA FBL-ESP-LIGA-REALMADRID-BARCELONA

Cristiano Ronaldo has made headlines twice today, for erecting a statue of himself and claiming Real Madrid could repeat in the Champions League.

3. WATCH: Tim Howard discusses autobiography ‘The Keeper’

Dec 21, 2014, 8:17 PM EST

tim_howard Getty Images

Tim Howard converses about his recently released autobiography, “The Keeper.”

4. Eyeing France national team call-up, AC Milan’s Jérémy Ménez keeps showing off his skills

Dec 21, 2014, 7:40 PM EST

Jeremy+Menez+qojlhLjziL0m Getty Images

Jeremy Menez has done a fantastic job as AC Milan’s primary attacker, and he’s primarily aiming for the French national team call-up.

5. Manager Ally McCoist exits Rangers, goes on gardening leave

Dec 21, 2014, 6:20 PM EST

Ally McCoist Getty Images

Ally McCoist has left Scottish Championship team Rangers, as the club has recognized the former star striker is now on “gardening leave.”

6. Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge to return from injury in January, according to manager

Dec 21, 2014, 4:55 PM EST

Manchester City Liverpool Soccer AP

According to Brendan Rogers, Liverpool’s prime attacker, Daniel Sturridge, will make his return from a multi-month injury in early January.

7. With his derby success, Adam Johnson thinks Newcastle United fans ‘must hate him’

Dec 21, 2014, 4:05 PM EST

adam_johnson AP

Sunderland winger Adam Johnson on game-winner and Tyne-Wear derby triumphs: “Three years in a row, they must hate me here!”

8. VIDEO: Poor finishing leaves Brendan Rodgers “deflated” despite late draw

Dec 21, 2014, 3:39 PM EST

Rodgers Getty Images

Brendan Rodgers gives his thoughts after a 2-2 draw despite what he called “dominance” on the ball.

9. VIDEO: Arsene Wenger regretfully admits draw with Liverpool fair

Dec 21, 2014, 3:12 PM EST

Wenger AP

With polarizing halves separating the teams, Arsene Wenger said a draw was the correct result based on performance.

10. Cristiano Ronaldo passes up Platini handshake after Ballon d’Or comments

Dec 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST

Ronaldo Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to bring a grudge with him to Morocco.

11. VIDEO: Alan Pardew says he pushed Newcastle too hard late in derby loss

Dec 21, 2014, 1:44 PM EST

Pardew AP

With Newcastle yielding late, Alan Pardew thinks he may have left his team a little too exposed as the clock ticked towards the final minute.

12. Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video)

Dec 21, 2014, 1:08 PM EST

Skrtel Getty Images

Martin Skrtel returned from a nasty injury and took full advantage of the resulting stopptage time.

13. John Brooks, a week after scoring, has forgettable match in 5-0 thumping

Dec 21, 2014, 11:58 AM EST

Brooks Getty Images

A day to forget for the American central defender in Germany’s top flight.

14. Newcastle 0-1 Sunderland: Johnson sinks Newcastle again (video)

Dec 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EST

SunderlandNewcastle

The boyhood Newcastle fan scored at St. James Park for the third year in a row as Sunderland stole the Tyne-Wear derby late.

15. Watch Live: Liverpool vs Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream)

Dec 21, 2014, 10:16 AM EST

Sterling Getty Images

Raheem Sterling looks to be the lone attacking option for Liverpool as Brendan Rodgers has left both his available strikers on the bench.

16. WATCH: Watch Lionel Messi’s silky first touch lead to a stellar goal

Dec 21, 2014, 8:52 AM EST

Messi Getty Images

A magnetizing first touch leads to a meaningless but nonetheless beautiful goal by the man who gives us magic weekly.

17. Watch Live: Newcastle vs Sunderland (Lineups and Live Stream)

Dec 21, 2014, 7:53 AM EST

PardewPoyet Getty Images

The heated Tyne-Wear derby has brought us goals and fireworks of many kinds, and will be no different today as Sunderland looks to win four in a row over Newcastle for the first time ever.

18. Tim Howard says Frank Lampard should leave Man City, start MLS season with NYCFC

Dec 20, 2014, 10:54 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-CRYSTAL PALACE FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-CRYSTAL PALACE

Howard doesn’t think Lampard will start the MLS season with NYCFC, although he says he should.

Week 17: PL Saturday recap