Jose Mourinho’s unveiling proves one thing hasn’t changed: It’s still all about himself

Jun 10, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-CHELSEA-MOURINHO Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has proven himself on the touchline. He’s won silverware at the highest level, and as far as tactics and player evaluation is concerned, Chelsea have made a fantastic move bringing him back to Stamford Bridge.

That was true on his first go with Roman Abramovich, and it’s true now.

One other thing hasn’t changed about him though, one thing I could absolutely do without – no matter what the subject, with Jose Mourinho, it’s always about Jose Mourinho.

The man can turn any conversation into something about himself, and everyone not involved with Chelsea is just going to have to get used to it.

Again.

I get it, it’s an unveiling, so the event is focused on Chelsea’s new man. But even there it got a little out of hand.

Jose, can you talk about how it’s similar or different the second time around at Chelsea? “I have the same nature, I’m the same person, I have the same heart, I have the same kind of emotions related to my passion for football and my job,” he said. “But I’m of course a different person. In this moment if I have to describe myself, I describe myself as a very happy person. It’s the first time I arrive in a club where I already love the club.”

Jose, could you talk about your relationship with Roman? “I read and I keep hearing that I was fired, I was sacked, we had a complete breakdown of our relationship – that was not true. Many didn’t believe that but it was a mutual agreement. We thought it was best for both of us, for me and the club.”

Jose, could you talk about how the beginning of this tenure is different than the last? “Nine years is a big difference. When I arrived here in 2004, you pushed me a lot in that first press conference to have a stronger approach, and in this moment the situation is different. You know me, you know my history in the British game, you know my history in the European game, so I don’t think I need that approach, I just want to be calm.”

There are plenty of different directions he could have taken that press conference, but he chose the most self-absorbed approach. He hardly mentioned the club. Heck, if you listened to the press conference on its own without any prior knowledge, you’d have no idea what team he’d just signed on with!

He barely mentioned the players on the club. He did once, but it was still about him. “There are still a few boys from my (first) time (at Chelsea) . It is always good to go back and see these people who gave absolutely everything to me when I was here. But it’s important to tell you – not them, because they know – that there is no privilege for them.”

Mourinho even rebranded himself. He dubbed himself ‘The Happy One.’ Seriously? Can you get more narcisstic than that? If ‘The Special One’ wasn’t bad enough, he had to not only bring it back up, but update it. Yeesh.

It’s always the same with Jose. It’s what drove him out of Real Madrid. It’s what drove him out of Chelsea the first time. Hopefully Roman Abramovich knows what he’s getting into – how can he not – because if Roman doesn’t make it totally about Jose this time around, it will finish just as the first go-around did.

However, if Abramovich does agree to put his manager before his club, his players, and himself, Mourinho could flourish, and so could Chelsea. We’ll just have to deal with the arrogance and self-absorption that’s been so refreshing to be without the last 6 years. Alas, it’s returned to London and the Premier League.

Latest Posts
  1. Sporting KC, Portland dominate in CONCACAF Champions League

Sep 24, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT

2013 MLS Cup - Real Salt Lake v Sporting Kansas City Getty Images

Sporting KC and the Portland Timbers both won easily in their CONCACAF Champions League group play matches.

2. MUST SEE: Full highlights of Liverpool’s epic penalty shootout

Sep 23, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Liverpool v Middlesbrough - Capital One Cup Third Round Getty Images

Watch the full, 15-round, 30-shot penalty shootout between Liverpool and Middlesbrough.

3. WATCH: Cristiano Ronaldo scores four as Madrid rout Elche

Sep 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Real Madrid CF v Elche CF - La Liga Getty Images

The 2013 Ballon d’Or winner awarded to the world’s best footballer now has nine goals in five games this season for Real Madrid.

4. Toronto FC breaks ground for stadium renovations

Sep 23, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Photo from Toronto FC. Photo from Toronto FC.

The two-phase plan is expected to be completed by May of 2016 and will cost an estimated $120 million.

5. Report: LA Galaxy eyeing move for Andrea Pirlo

Sep 23, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT

Comments Off
    Italy Training & Press Conference - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

The 35-year-old midfielder won the World Cup with Italy in 2006 and is regarded as one of the best playmakers of his generation.

6. WATCH: Michael Bradley rips MLS, referees

Sep 23, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT

FBL-WC-2014-MATCH45-USA-GER Getty Images

The Toronto FC midfielder and U.S. international was fined for his harsh comments regarding the refereeing in Toronto’s draw with Chicago.

7. League Cup Roundup: Liverpool survive 15-round shootout, Arsenal out

Sep 23, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT

Liverpool v Middlesbrough - Capital One Cup Third Round Getty Images

Anfield played host to a match that saw two extra-time goals and a penalty shootout that went 15 rounds before the Reds could claim their place in the fourth round.

8. UEFA to investigate Partizan Belgrade for anti-Semitic banner

Sep 23, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

FK Partizan v Neftci PFK - UEFA Europa League Getty Images

The Serbian club’s supporters were seen waving a banner displaying an anti-Semitic phrase during their Europa League match against Tottenham.

9. VIDEO: Jozy Altidore scores League Cup goal against Stoke

Sep 23, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

Altidore is off and running for the 2014-15 season, watch his goal.

10. Three out of five is bad: CSKA Moscow faces racism charge for fan acts

Sep 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

imgres

UEFA has already ruled — based on previous offenses — that CSKA’s match against Bayern Munich next week will be played in an empty stadium.

11. Manchester City’s Pellegrini won’t rule out Lampard loan extension

Sep 23, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Frank Lampard AP

What would Lampard want? Hard to tell from the weekend’s goal celebration or lack thereof?

12. ESPN sends Clint Dempsey out to ask people about USMNT captain (video)

Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

clint_dempsey AP

You do get the feeling they had to do a bunch of work to find people who failed to recognize Dempsey, if only because of the interviews that made the final cut.

13. League Cup third round preview: What qualifies as an upset?

Sep 23, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT

Britain Soccer League Cup AP

The possibilities for juicy upsets aren’t dancing through the slate of third round matches, but there’s plenty to look forward to…

14. Gyan to speak on journalist beating and refute human sacrifice rumors in press conference

Sep 23, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT

Brazil Soccer WCup Portugal Ghana AP

Ghana national teamer and Al Ain striker Asamoah Gyan has called a press conference to refute non-sensical claims that he killed his friend to gain magical powers.

15. Anfield $164m expansion approved; Liverpool’s home to near 59,000 cap

Sep 23, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

_77766716_lfc_view01_final

Anfield has been Liverpool’s home since 1892, and the new construction is slated to finish in time for the start of the 2016/17 season.

16. PST’s Major League Soccer power rankings: Double(d) vision edition

Sep 23, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT

Sounders Union Soccer AP

Oh, the challenges that await a man altering another man’s power rankings.

17. US Soccer stands by Solo stance; Media backlash keeps on coming

Sep 23, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT

Mexico v United States Getty Images

Hope Solo advocates have been angered by some columns claiming she shouldn’t be playing, while a national pundit gives his take on the story

18. PST’s Major League Soccer player of the week: No question who was tops

Sep 23, 2014, 8:09 AM EDT

Bradley Wright-Phillips AP

Bradley Wright-Phillips, you may now step forward to collect your prize of Internet-based high-fives.

19. FIFA-outlined new head injury protocol will go up for vote

Sep 23, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT

West Ham United v Liverpool - Premier League Getty Images

It’s hard to imagine the new head safety measures won’t pass quickly, and reports say they could be in effect by October.

20. ICYMI: Insane 90-yard volley sets Bundesliga record for longest goal

Sep 23, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT

Stoppelkamp AP

Newly-promoted Paderborn is shocking the Bundesliga and providing quite the show in the process.

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals