Jun 11, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
There can be no doubt now that Mexico is in some trouble, it’s drive for World Cup 2014 stalled on the side of the road.
There’s still time for Mexico to get it together and find a way into Brazil 2014. But they will have to find a much better version than the uninspired one, so dull around the edges, that played out yet another scoreless draw inside once-fabled Azteca Stadium.
A 0-0 draw against Costa Rica on Tuesday in final round World Cup qualifying will almost certainly cost Jose Manuel “Chepo” de la Torre his job. It certainly should. El Tri, expected to command the final round, six-team qualifying group, has played three home matches now with no goals and, obviously no wins. Overall, the Mexicans are 1-0-5.
Some Golden Generation of Mexican players this is turning out to be. The crowd was chanting “Fuera Chepo!” by the end, calling for the manager’s ouster.
Jamaica and the United States also held Mexico to scoreless draws inside Azteca.
Mexico dominated long stretches of possession Tuesday but rarely did much with it, looking slow, predictable and not one bit creative. No Mexican attacker had a good night Tuesday, stifled repeatedly by Costa Rica’s determined, disciplined and organized five-man back line.
Costa Rica may have even had the higher quality chances over 90 minutes.
Joel Campbell hit the post early for the visitors and, later in the first half, was denied on quality save from Jose de Jesus Corona. Mexico’s goalkeeper was good once again, although a 72nd minute blunder, when the Mexican starter in goal badly misjudged a ball in flight, nearly turned to disaster.
Costa Rica’s Kenny Cunningham got in alone on Corona in the second half but held the ball too long and failed to test Mexico’s ‘keeper.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1