Jun 12, 2013, 9:51 PM EST
Although his latest ailment is completely unrelated to the leg injury that cost Steve Zakuani much of the last two seasons, today’s news represents another roadblock between 25-year-old and his former, elite MLS winger-status.
On Tuesday, Zakuani underwent surgery in Philadelphia for a sports hernia. Read the details from Joshua Mayers and the Seattle Times here. The bottom line: Recovery time will cost the Seattle Sounders attacker the next 6-8 weeks of the season.
It’s not like Zakuani’s season was going swimmingly before this injury. In six games (468 minutes), Zakuani’s failed to score. No shame in that (it’s not like he’s a striker), but with one assist and only two shots on goal, Zakuani’s stats fairly reflect his slow start.
This was supposed to be Zakuani’s big comeback season, and perhaps that can still happen. But after missing almost all of 2011 while spending the last half of 2012 returning to full fitness, Zakuani’s preseason spirits were high.
Finishing the season by tearing up Sean Franklin in the second leg of the conference finals, Zakuani had a proof of concept in place. There were no lingering doubts. There was almost no concern about whether he could return to form. Zakuani was expected to be the Sounders’ regular left winger.
But then he got caught up in the Sounders’ slow start. Then there was illness. Now there’s this minor surgery.
None of it’s major stuff. They’re not even real setbacks. It’s just a collection of annoyances that preventing this Zakuani story from coming full circle.
Now there’s the danger of one annoyance leading to another. With Seattle surging, how difficult will it be for Zakuani to earn his spot back when he returns? Obafemi Martins and Eddie Johnson are inked up top. Lamar Neagle seems the best bet to play wide, Zakuani’s spot. But tied for the team lead in goals (four), is Neagle going to give way to Zakuani?
We’ll find out in two months.
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 0
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 7
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1
- Strike season? Real Salt Lake owner calls free agency “go nowhere conversation” 7