Jun 13, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
Borussia Dortmund are looking to sell Polish star Robert Lewandowski this summer, as he has one year left on his contract.
Unfortunately, the two are now at an impasse.
With the club having already decreed they will not sell him to rivals Bayern Munich, the players has now told them that’s the only place he wants to go.
Sky Italy’s Tancredi Palmeri is reporting Dortmund accepted a bit of €30 million ($40.1 million) from Real Madrid from the 24-year-old, but he immediately rejected it and said he will only accept a deal to Bayern.
Palmeri’s rather sensationalist tweet:
So now what? Something has to budge.
Option 1: Both sides stand firm. Lewandowski accepts he will stay at Dortmund one more year and will leave at the end of his contract. Dortmund keep him from Bayern for a year, but then get absolutely nothing for their striker when he leaves.
Option 2: Lewandowski capitulates, and Dortmund sell him to a top club for market value – possibly Madrid, or another club in the mix such as Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, or Juventus.
Option 3: Dortmund capitulate, sell Lewandowski to Bayern for a discounted price (they want to pay €25 million for him). They cash in on their asset, but the treble winners get even better.
After it looked certain he would move seamlessly to Bayern Munich this summer, the saga will now most likely not play out for a number of weeks, possibly even until the final few days of the transfer window.
Don’t even be surprised if Lewandowski plays the first half of the season with Borussia Dortmund and then they look to sell in the winter.
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Everton, Manchester United, Liverpool 0
- Report: Garcia’s World Cup ethics report to be released after all 2
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 3
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 6
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1