Jun 13, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
More news that the sport of soccer is positively thriving in the United States – Tuesday night’s World Cup Qualifier between the U.S. and Panama was the second most-watched and second highest-rated FIFA World Cup qualifying or international friendly match telecast.
The 2-0 U.S. triumph at CenturyLink Field in Seattle recorded an average audience of 1.436 million viewers and was seen in 888,000 households, based on a 0.8 household U.S. rating according to Nielsen Media.
The Southern California soccer hot-bed of San Diego was once again the top market for the match telecast with a rating of 2.5, while Seattle-Takoma (2.5), Baltimore (2.1), Hartford-New Haven (1.9), and Nashville (1.9) rounded out the Top 5.
Tuesday’s viewership was bested only by the March 26th World Cup Qualifier between the U.S. and Mexico, which ended in a 0-0 draw at the famed Azteca Stadium. That telecast delivered the record average audience with 2.385 million viewers and was seen in 1.644 million households, based on a 1.4 household U.S. rating.
The next date for American soccer to make itself heard is on Tuesday, June 18th when the U.S. takes on Honduras in the final World Cup Qualifying match before the summer. That match can be viewed live from Rio Tinto Stadium on ESPN or the WatchESPN app.
Here are some other broadcast numbers in recent U.S. history that show just how big the game has become stateside -
- The 2010 World Cup Final between Spain and the Netherlands drew a record 24.3 million U.S. viewers (U.S. v. Ghana drew 19.4m)
- The 2011 Women’s World Cup Final between Japan and the U.S. drew a record 13.458 million U.S. viewers
- The 2011 Champions League Final between Manchester United and Barcelona drew a record 4.2 million U.S. viewers
- The 2012 MLS match between Seattle and Portland drew 880,000 U.S. viewers (3rd largest audience)
- The May 2012 Manchester United v. Manchester City match drew a record 1.033 million U.S. viewers
- The 2012 European Championship Final between Italy and Spain drew drew 2.968 million U.S. viewers (2nd largest)
Aug 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
We continue our look at what each PL team needs to do in the final few days of the window.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
All the details you need to know, as the UCL group stage draw takes place on Thursday.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
England international reportedly chased by several PL clubs, as Spurs join the suitors.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:16 AM EDT
Rooney handed the armband by Hodgson, as new-look England head into a brave new era.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
“I play a lot of Football Manager,” Gomis said.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Reports indicate Chelsea striker Diego Costa has suffered a hamstring injury that will keep him out of the side for four to six weeks.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o has announced his retirement from international football.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
The BBC is reporting that Calum Chambers, Danny Rose and Fabian Delph are all set for England call-ups.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Lazio is most interested in the American’s services but the recent injury casts doubt on the likelihood of a transfer.
Aug 27, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
QPR and Aston Villa followed Manchester United’s lead in crashing out of the League Cup to clubs from the Football League.
Aug 27, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Ludogorets defender Cosmin Moti took the gloves and saved two penalties to help his side advance to the Champions League group stage.
Aug 27, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at five more clubs and how they will wheel and deal before the window slams shut.
Aug 27, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
The loss of Giroud skyrockets the possibility of Wenger soon moving to sign another pure striker.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Reports across Europe claim that Xabi Alonso has reached an agreement with Bayern Munich.
Aug 27, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
“The hardest thing is knowing when to say goodbye,” Xabi Alonso said.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
Balotelli aims big as new Liverpool signing speaks out.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Guardiola gives Muller a piece of his mind during Bayern’s open practice session.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Fazio heads to White Hart Lane on four-year deal from Sevilla.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
As conflict continues between Israel, Hamas, UEFA has stepped in to postpone qualifier.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
Following United’s embarrassing 4-0 defeat to a third-tier team, the UK media have not been kind.
- Transfer needs – Manchester United, Newcastle, QPR, Southampton, Stoke 0
- Preview: Possible “Groups of Death” galore in UEFA Champions League draw 1
- Wayne Rooney named new England captain as youthful squad selected 1
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 0
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0