Jun 13, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
More news that the sport of soccer is positively thriving in the United States – Tuesday night’s World Cup Qualifier between the U.S. and Panama was the second most-watched and second highest-rated FIFA World Cup qualifying or international friendly match telecast.
The 2-0 U.S. triumph at CenturyLink Field in Seattle recorded an average audience of 1.436 million viewers and was seen in 888,000 households, based on a 0.8 household U.S. rating according to Nielsen Media.
The Southern California soccer hot-bed of San Diego was once again the top market for the match telecast with a rating of 2.5, while Seattle-Takoma (2.5), Baltimore (2.1), Hartford-New Haven (1.9), and Nashville (1.9) rounded out the Top 5.
Tuesday’s viewership was bested only by the March 26th World Cup Qualifier between the U.S. and Mexico, which ended in a 0-0 draw at the famed Azteca Stadium. That telecast delivered the record average audience with 2.385 million viewers and was seen in 1.644 million households, based on a 1.4 household U.S. rating.
The next date for American soccer to make itself heard is on Tuesday, June 18th when the U.S. takes on Honduras in the final World Cup Qualifying match before the summer. That match can be viewed live from Rio Tinto Stadium on ESPN or the WatchESPN app.
Here are some other broadcast numbers in recent U.S. history that show just how big the game has become stateside -
- The 2010 World Cup Final between Spain and the Netherlands drew a record 24.3 million U.S. viewers (U.S. v. Ghana drew 19.4m)
- The 2011 Women’s World Cup Final between Japan and the U.S. drew a record 13.458 million U.S. viewers
- The 2011 Champions League Final between Manchester United and Barcelona drew a record 4.2 million U.S. viewers
- The 2012 MLS match between Seattle and Portland drew 880,000 U.S. viewers (3rd largest audience)
- The May 2012 Manchester United v. Manchester City match drew a record 1.033 million U.S. viewers
- The 2012 European Championship Final between Italy and Spain drew drew 2.968 million U.S. viewers (2nd largest)
Oct 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
Previewing the last weekend of full-tilt MLS competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Lille and Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama thinks it would be dangerous to hold the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ebola outbreak.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Brazil’s national football team has a new code of conduct under manager Dunga.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Wonderful touch and power utilized on a first-class goal from Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Harry Kane notched a hat trick in Tottenham’s Europa League victory over Asteras Tripoli, and he then found himself manning the goal as a netminder following a Hugo Lloris red card.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Lille and Everton played to a 0-0 draw at Stade Pierre-Mauroy in Europa League group stage competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Manchester City’s Frank Lampard could be fit to play against West Ham in Premier League competition on Saturday.
Cristiano Ronaldo on El Clasico: ‘I won’t be playing against Messi. I’ll be playing against Barcelona.’
Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“I won’t be playing against Messi — I’ll be playing against Barcelona,” says Ronaldo, concerning his duel with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers likes what Mario Balotelli has to offer, but he’s unsure if the forward will last a while at Anfield.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Will the Blues lose their first game of the season away at Old Trafford on Sunday? JPW and Prindi analyze that and more.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Little Eddie won’t have a say in who he supports, but it’s all for a good cause.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Free agent Valdes arrives to “train with the first team” at United.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?
Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT
Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.
Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 10
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 6
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0