Jun 13, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo today decided that his name wasn’t in the papers enough.
Amid rumors of a move away from Real Madrid to places such as Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain, or even a record-shattering switch to Monaco, social media raised more questions than answered about Ronaldo’s future.
The Portugese superstar took to Twitter to announce his current stance at the Bernabeau is shaky at best.
All the news about my renewal with Real Madrid are false.—
Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) June 13, 2013
Vague enough for you?
Despite the rumors of his departure, there were also reports that he desires to stay at Madrid. Club president Fiorentino Perez said he believes Ronaldo wishes to remain at the club.
“I am going to be as clear as possible. My aim, Cristiano’s aim, and the aim of all Real Madrid fans is that he carries on playing here for many years to come” said Perez. “When so many people want the same thing, then it usually turns out to be the case. I myself and Real Madrid both want that. The player, Cristiano Ronaldo, also wants that. Without a shadow of a doubt, that is what Cristiano wants too.”
Whether he wants to stay or not, Ronaldo at least wished to stir the pot by tweeting a vague yet telling 11 words. It says nothing about his desires to remain at the club or move abroad. It says nothing about whether he’s talked to anybody and gotten nowhere or if he has yet to even begin negotiations. What it does say is that he’s decided the best tactic is to take it public that nothing has been completed, or even probably talked about at this point.
Whether out of frustration or a desire to gain a tactical advantage, Ronaldo’s tweet has certainly sent the media into a frenzy.
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 1
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 2
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)