Jun 13, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo today decided that his name wasn’t in the papers enough.
Amid rumors of a move away from Real Madrid to places such as Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain, or even a record-shattering switch to Monaco, social media raised more questions than answered about Ronaldo’s future.
The Portugese superstar took to Twitter to announce his current stance at the Bernabeau is shaky at best.
All the news about my renewal with Real Madrid are false.—
Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) June 13, 2013
Vague enough for you?
Despite the rumors of his departure, there were also reports that he desires to stay at Madrid. Club president Fiorentino Perez said he believes Ronaldo wishes to remain at the club.
“I am going to be as clear as possible. My aim, Cristiano’s aim, and the aim of all Real Madrid fans is that he carries on playing here for many years to come” said Perez. “When so many people want the same thing, then it usually turns out to be the case. I myself and Real Madrid both want that. The player, Cristiano Ronaldo, also wants that. Without a shadow of a doubt, that is what Cristiano wants too.”
Whether he wants to stay or not, Ronaldo at least wished to stir the pot by tweeting a vague yet telling 11 words. It says nothing about his desires to remain at the club or move abroad. It says nothing about whether he’s talked to anybody and gotten nowhere or if he has yet to even begin negotiations. What it does say is that he’s decided the best tactic is to take it public that nothing has been completed, or even probably talked about at this point.
Whether out of frustration or a desire to gain a tactical advantage, Ronaldo’s tweet has certainly sent the media into a frenzy.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0