Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time

Jun 13, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT

Marseille 13 14 Kits Teaser

There’s a massive difference between being innovative and being outrageous.

Ligue 1 side Olympique de Marseille unveiled their new “denim” away kit by Adidas today. It tried at the former, and fell way, way short.

The kit attempts to appear as a denim shirt, complete with a fake stitched-on pocket, and “stitching” around the collar and down the sleeves.

An article in the Metro speculated that Joey Barton, an English midfielder on loan at Marseille, may have inspired the kit, as he’s often seen sporting denim.

There are really no words to describe this disaster of a kit.  It’s an utter travesty.  I would continue, but you get the point. Take a look:

A lot of you say this isn’t so bad. Here’s why I disagree:

It’s not ugly like the Liverpool away kit for this year is ugly. That’s more of a “Martin Freeman just vomited colored yarn all over my shirt” ugly. This is more of a “this is a terrible idea” kind of ugly.

Who honestly wants to play soccer in a jean jacket?

Thankfully, they rescued it a bit with a beautiful home kit that is loud and yet appealing to the eyes at the same time.  The blue and white compliment each other perfectly. I’m a big fan. Their third kit (top right in this picture) also succeeds, sporting light blue with a modern abstract pattern for the background.  Unfortunately, that can’t undo this horrific mistake.

The French side are known for testing the waters with striking kits.  Their third kit from the 2011/2012 season was a failed experiment as well, although last season’s was wonderfully classy.

Adidas has made a hard core attempt at the pocket thing this season.  AC Milan released their kits last month, also made by Adidas, and they ruined a pretty decent gold third kit with a cute little pocket in the same spot. Whyyyyyy.

I applaud Marseille and Adidas for their attempt to be creative and try something new, but this is a fireable offense.

1. ndnut - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I actually kinda like it.

• Kyle Bonn - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM

To each their own, I guess

• joeyt360 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I’ve seen worse denim…like on the US in ’94.

2. aarongrayswitzer - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Without the ridiculous fake pocket it might look kinda cool.

3. mianfr - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Also am ok with it… Really not too shabby.

4. baseballbarrister - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Still better than Liverpool’s

5. nygiantstones - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Hideous at first glance, but it grows on you. I sort of like it…

6. footballer4ever - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:28 AM

It’s not bad at all as it’s made out to be.

7. capsfan19 - Jun 14, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I agree liverpool’s jerseys will give people seizures…

8. twayward - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM

massive overreaction, mr bonn. not that bad. certainly not as tragic — as mentioned above — as the USA acid-washed denim kit.

Can’t recall the year, but the worst kit I can remember is the ar2ena1 lime green away strip with lime green and white hooped socks. Atrocious.

9. wesbadia - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM

What classifies the pocket as a “fake” one, exactly? Does it not have an opening at the top like all “true” pockets do? If it does, I fail to see how the pocket is “fake”…??

I also fail to see how double-stitched patterns qualify this as “denim”. Denim is a material, not a style. The stitching may herald a “denim look”, but it’s not denim. And if we’re basing the aesthetic pleasure of this kit merely on the look of the stitching, then I must say that most soccer kits have double stitching of some sort. I can remember past Barcelona kits having double stitching, and many MLS teams have had it over the past decade as well. It’s really not that unusual.

Overall, an unusual kit, but far from being “ugly” in my eyes.

10. footballer4ever - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder….and uglyness too.

11. mvktr2 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM

When all else fails …

blame Joey Barton!

12. talgrath - Jun 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM

That doesn’t look that bad, I expected something hideous but it’s a deep, dark blue with white stitching. Moving on.

PST Extra: The Manchester derby