Jun 13, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
There’s a massive difference between being innovative and being outrageous.
Ligue 1 side Olympique de Marseille unveiled their new “denim” away kit by Adidas today. It tried at the former, and fell way, way short.
The kit attempts to appear as a denim shirt, complete with a fake stitched-on pocket, and “stitching” around the collar and down the sleeves.
An article in the Metro speculated that Joey Barton, an English midfielder on loan at Marseille, may have inspired the kit, as he’s often seen sporting denim.
There are really no words to describe this disaster of a kit. It’s an utter travesty. I would continue, but you get the point. Take a look:
A lot of you say this isn’t so bad. Here’s why I disagree:
It’s not ugly like the Liverpool away kit for this year is ugly. That’s more of a “Martin Freeman just vomited colored yarn all over my shirt” ugly. This is more of a “this is a terrible idea” kind of ugly.
Who honestly wants to play soccer in a jean jacket?
Thankfully, they rescued it a bit with a beautiful home kit that is loud and yet appealing to the eyes at the same time. The blue and white compliment each other perfectly. I’m a big fan. Their third kit (top right in this picture) also succeeds, sporting light blue with a modern abstract pattern for the background. Unfortunately, that can’t undo this horrific mistake.
Adidas has made a hard core attempt at the pocket thing this season. AC Milan released their kits last month, also made by Adidas, and they ruined a pretty decent gold third kit with a cute little pocket in the same spot. Whyyyyyy.
I applaud Marseille and Adidas for their attempt to be creative and try something new, but this is a fireable offense.
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 3
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014