Jun 13, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
There’s a massive difference between being innovative and being outrageous.
Ligue 1 side Olympique de Marseille unveiled their new “denim” away kit by Adidas today. It tried at the former, and fell way, way short.
The kit attempts to appear as a denim shirt, complete with a fake stitched-on pocket, and “stitching” around the collar and down the sleeves.
An article in the Metro speculated that Joey Barton, an English midfielder on loan at Marseille, may have inspired the kit, as he’s often seen sporting denim.
There are really no words to describe this disaster of a kit. It’s an utter travesty. I would continue, but you get the point. Take a look:
A lot of you say this isn’t so bad. Here’s why I disagree:
It’s not ugly like the Liverpool away kit for this year is ugly. That’s more of a “Martin Freeman just vomited colored yarn all over my shirt” ugly. This is more of a “this is a terrible idea” kind of ugly.
Who honestly wants to play soccer in a jean jacket?
Thankfully, they rescued it a bit with a beautiful home kit that is loud and yet appealing to the eyes at the same time. The blue and white compliment each other perfectly. I’m a big fan. Their third kit (top right in this picture) also succeeds, sporting light blue with a modern abstract pattern for the background. Unfortunately, that can’t undo this horrific mistake.
Adidas has made a hard core attempt at the pocket thing this season. AC Milan released their kits last month, also made by Adidas, and they ruined a pretty decent gold third kit with a cute little pocket in the same spot. Whyyyyyy.
I applaud Marseille and Adidas for their attempt to be creative and try something new, but this is a fireable offense.
- Premier League roundup: Boxing Day madness as Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool win (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-1 Queens Park Rangers: Gunners overcome Giroud red card to hold off R’s 1
- Manchester United 3-1 Newcastle United: Rooney stars as Red Devils cruise 0
- Watch Live: Arsenal vs. Queens Park Rangers (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- LIVE – Premier League, at the half: Boxing Day madness, as goals continue to fly in 0
- Chelsea 2-0 West Ham United: Blues win on Boxing Day, extend lead at summit 1