Jun 13, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
There’s a massive difference between being innovative and being outrageous.
Ligue 1 side Olympique de Marseille unveiled their new “denim” away kit by Adidas today. It tried at the former, and fell way, way short.
The kit attempts to appear as a denim shirt, complete with a fake stitched-on pocket, and “stitching” around the collar and down the sleeves.
An article in the Metro speculated that Joey Barton, an English midfielder on loan at Marseille, may have inspired the kit, as he’s often seen sporting denim.
There are really no words to describe this disaster of a kit. It’s an utter travesty. I would continue, but you get the point. Take a look:
A lot of you say this isn’t so bad. Here’s why I disagree:
It’s not ugly like the Liverpool away kit for this year is ugly. That’s more of a “Martin Freeman just vomited colored yarn all over my shirt” ugly. This is more of a “this is a terrible idea” kind of ugly.
Who honestly wants to play soccer in a jean jacket?
Thankfully, they rescued it a bit with a beautiful home kit that is loud and yet appealing to the eyes at the same time. The blue and white compliment each other perfectly. I’m a big fan. Their third kit (top right in this picture) also succeeds, sporting light blue with a modern abstract pattern for the background. Unfortunately, that can’t undo this horrific mistake.
Adidas has made a hard core attempt at the pocket thing this season. AC Milan released their kits last month, also made by Adidas, and they ruined a pretty decent gold third kit with a cute little pocket in the same spot. Whyyyyyy.
I applaud Marseille and Adidas for their attempt to be creative and try something new, but this is a fireable offense.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 1
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 4
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 3