Jun 13, 2013, 2:38 PM EST
The New York Cosmos have signed former Spain international Marcos Senna.
The 36 year old center midfielder comes to the States from an 11 year stint at Villareal where he made 296 appearances, scoring 25 times. The Brazilian-born player is perhaps best known for his stellar play as a defensive midfielder during Spain’s Euro 2008 triumph in Austria and Switzerland.
It was there that Senna became a household name, scoring the third penalty of Spain’s 4-2 shootout victory over Italy in the quarter-finals. His classy performances throughout the Euros led to his being named to UEFA’s all-tournament team.
Senna broke the news of his signing on the Cosmos website, saying: “This is a very special moment for me in joining the Cosmos because I face a new challenge, but at the same time it has been a difficult decision to leave Villarreal after 11 seasons.”
So what do you guys think? Impressed that Senna chose an NASL club over a MLS club?
There are three logical explanations for Senna choosing the NASL.
First, he’s likely being paid fairly handsomely by the Cosmos and will serve as the face of the squad moving forward. Second, there’s a chance that Pelé, as Honorary President and a fellow Brazilian, had some influence over Senna. Finally, Senna may no longer have the pace to compete with MLS level athletes.
In 2010-11 Senna suffered from a rash of niggly injuries. He regained his health in 2011-12 to make 31 La Liga appearances but suffered another injury riddled season this past year as the Yellow Submarine competed in the Segunda. That being said, Senna is by no means past his prime, as evidenced by the 10 goals he’s accumulated in the past two seasons.
Fantastic signing by the Cosmos.
- What to expect as USA, Premier League star Geoff Cameron joins ProSoccerTalk 0
- FIFA saga takes new twist: World Cup corruption report to be reviewed 0
- VOTE – Best choice for MLS expansion: Las Vegas, Sacramento or Minneapolis? 9
- Manchester United’s Radamel Falcao suffers new injury setback 0
- Mats Hummels to Manchester United rumors persist. Can it happen in January? 1
- Report: Arsenal have deal in place to sign Chelsea’s Petr Cech 1