Jun 13, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Life is good for USL Pro club Orlando City.
After purchasing a new plot of land for a future stadium and weeks of being rumored as one of the possible destinations for Major League Soccer’s next club, the Florida-based outfit eliminated Sporting Kansas City from the U.S. Open Cup last night by a score of 1-0.
Last year’s Champions were dumped out at home after Orlando City striker Tan Long netted in the second minute of play. It was the second MLS scalp the Lions have taken this season, having beaten the Colorado Rapids 3-0 on May 28th in the third round of play.
The hosts came into the match looking to make amends for their previous match, a 2-1 home loss to Montreal on June 1st. But with Graham Zusi, Matt Besler, Kei Kamara all out on international duty, Sporting lacked the punch to get the job done despite registering 18 shots in defeat.
Peter Vermes’ side came close through C.J. Sapong and Paulo Nagamura but goalkeeper Orlando City Miguel Gallardo was up to the task. The 28 year old netminder was simply fantastic on the night.
With the victory, Orlando City extend their unbeaten streak to 14 matches and have sealed their place in the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals where they will face the winner of Chicago and Columbus. The last time a lower league side won the U.S. Open Cup was in 1999 when the Raging Rhinos of Rochester beat the Colorado Rapids 2-0.
Here’s how the rest of U.S. Open Cup action panned out:
- Carolina Railhawks upped their unbeaten streak to five matches by knocking off Chivas USA, 3-1 in extra time
- A cracking volley by Michael Nanchoff handed Portland a 2-0 win over Tampa Bay
- New England continued its offensive onslaught beating the Red Bulls 4-2
- Kenny Cooper’s brace helped FC Dallas to a 3-0 victory over rival Houston
- Real Salt Lake came from two goals down to crush Charleston Battery 5-2 in extra time
- D.C. United beat Philadelphia 3-1 behind a Dwayne De Rosario hat-trick
Here’s the U.S. Open Cup fixture list for the Round of 16:
- Real Salt Lake v. Carolina
- D.C. United v. New England
- Chicago/Columbus v. Orlando City
- FC Dallas v. Portland
Aug 23, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Four games on the go, but goals are scarce. Watch them all live, here.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT
American goalkeeper Brad Guzan helped Aston Villa stay unbeaten by keeping Newcastle at bay in a scoreless draw at Villa Park.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
West Ham’s second London derby in as many weeks provides a chance at win No. 1.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Can the Swans sweep aside new boys Burnley? Watch live, right here.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
Both teams go in search of their first victory of the season. Watch live, here.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Will Leicester surprise another Premier League power, or will Chelsea look just as strong as they did in Monday’s dismantling of Burnley?
Aug 23, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
The Scot has apologized, but fresh allegations claim that Mackay used an offensive Asian slur to describe Cardiff owner Vincent Tan.
Aug 23, 2014, 8:32 AM EDT
There are no casualties among the stadium staff in a scary incident at Donbass Arena.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:10 AM EDT
Aston Villa and Newcastle United’s starting lineups are unchanged from opening weekend, and the most notable change is on the Magpies bench.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
How and where to watch every single PL game live online or via the app.
Aug 23, 2014, 2:52 AM EDT
April’s 3-0 loss at Goodison was the low point of Arsenal’s 2013-14 season.
Aug 23, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
The Blues are heavy favorites to stay perfect through two rounds.
Aug 23, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
With one game per week, Chelsea’s players have a chance to settle into their roles.
Aug 23, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Two goals while playing with 10 send Dallas joint-top of the Western Conference.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:51 PM EDT
The league’s second round kicks off at Villa Park and ends with the main event on Merseyside.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:12 PM EDT
List of things Cristiano Ronaldo can’t do: Throw a proper punch.
Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Dallas is undefeated since May, while RSL has a chance to temporarily move clear atop the Western Conference.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
Dallas versus Real Salt Lake, Sporting hosting D.C. see the conferences’ best go head-to-head.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Early Mandzukic goal gives Atlético its fifth trophy under Simeone.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Toffees and Gunners clash, Liverpool head to Man City, London derby time and much more.
- Aston Villa 0-0 Newcastle: Guzan saves a point as Villa moves top 0
- ‘Powerful explosions’ rock Shakhtar Donetsk’s home stadium in Ukraine 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 2 0
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 2-1 Real Salt Lake 0
- MLS Weekend Preview: Trio of marque marquee matches begins Friday in Frisco 0
- Early Mandzukic goal sees Atlético defeat Real Madrid, claim Spanish Super Cup 1