Jun 14, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Fresh of a huge win – one that might not ordinarily reach “huge” status, but does in season gone sideways, where measures of success must surely be recalibrated – there are fresh concerns to deal with.
Foremost is the concussion injury to Chris Pontius, who will apparently miss Saturday’s home match with Toronto FC. Defenders Ethan White and James Riley are also out. Defender Dejan Jakovic and midfielder Kyle Porter are questionable, all as reported by The Washington Post’s Steven Goff.
Jakovic, a starting center back, would be the most significant loss. We could debate the impact of missing Pontius, a talented midfielder-forward who is having a wickedly tough go of it this season.
Wednesday’s U.S. Open Cup win was good and bad news. The “good” was achieving some relief from the lack of success; the team is still riding that 12-game winless streak. And Dwayne De Rosario’s breakout, a hat trick in the club’s 3-1 win over Philadelphia, propelling the team into the tournament quarterfinals, will put a smile on every La Bara Brava man and woman.
But even that come with this bit of temperance: “De Ro” is 35, and you have to wonder how quickly he’ll recover, how much he will have for Saturday’s critical contest against Toronto. Same for the rest of the club; Toronto will come in far more fresh, playing in its first match in 14 days.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"