Jun 14, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
French media outlet L’Equipe is reporting on their TV station that Newcastle United midfielder Yohan Cabaye is in Monaco for a medical, and has apparently passed the exam.
Goal.com’s French writer Robin Bairner passed on the news via Twitter, and said the news came from a “sure source” from within Monaco’s medical department.
This is interesting news considering no reports have been made in the last few days of a fee being agreed for, although obviously not everything is made public.
Two days ago, Monaco sporting director Vadim Vasilyev was quoted as saying, “Cabaye? He is a very interesting player.”
Monaco, funded by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev, have already bought up a pair from FC Porto plus highly coveted striker Radamel Falcao.
According to soccer database transfermarkt.com, Cabaye would be worth in the €16.5 million ($22 million) range.
The 27-year-old French midfielder is one of Newcastle’s core players, having made 42 appearances in all competitions last season for the Toon.
Playing for Monaco would mark a return to the French Ligue 1 for Cabaye. He was purchased by Newcastle in January of 2011 from Lille.
Oddly, the report has not appeared on the website for L’Equipe as of this writing.
- Second half heroics from Jaime Penedo give LA Galaxy 1-0 lead ahead of leg two in Tijuana 0
- Home Grown fullback Kevin Ellis delivers Champions League victory for Sporting Kansas City against Cruz Azul 1
- FC Barcelona edge out Manchester City 2-1, as Spaniards reach UEFA Champions League quarterfinal (4-1, agg.) 0
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 2
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Galaxy Take Narrow but Deserved Lead to TJ
- Extending Matt Hedges Contract No-Brainer for FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Takes One Goal Lead Over Cruz Azul in CCL First Leg
- The Big Rivalry: Galaxy, Xolos are Working on it
- Matt Besler KC Sportsman of the Year
- Sounders Sign Former Houston Dynamo Forward Cam Weaver
- Brazil's World Cup Waste Recycling Push
- Falcao's Surgeon Optimistic about Comeback Before the World Cup
- Romario Says FIFA President Sepp Blatter is a Thief
- Julio Cesar Sheds Light on his Toronto FC Move