Jun 14, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
U.S. soccer confirmed that Jurgen Klinsmann has added Real Salt Lake midfielder Kyle Beckerman to the USMNT roster ahead of Tuesday’s qualifier with Honduras.
Real Salt Lake don’t play this weekend, and the World Cup qualifying match is at his home Rio Tinto Stadium, so it’s a perfectly easy addition logistically.
Beckerman has 25 caps for the United States, and has been a favorite of Klinsmann’s for his work ethic and holding midfield ability. He captained the side in the 0-0 friendly against Canada back in January.
Unfortunately for the player, Geoff Cameron’s sparkling performance against Panama this past week will probably make this move irrelevant.
This could mean that Jermaine Jones won’t be as ready as we thought for Tuesday, as concussion recoveries are often hard to predict. However, Graham Zusi will be back from his suspension.
Either way, it’s a nice compliment to Beckerman, and can’t hurt with his club off and zero travel involved.
The U.S. sits in first place in the hexagonal table, with another chance to get points at home, this time off a depleted Honduras side.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 1
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs