Jun 14, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
Southampton found a gem as they signed center back Dejan Lovren from Olympique Lyon from France’s Ligue 1. He can also play right back if needed.
The 23-year-old set the Saints back €10 million ($13.3 million). It’s the second-highest transfer fee Southampton has paid for a player, behind the purchase of Gaston Ramirez last summer for €15.7 million ($21 million).
Lovren has 17 caps for the Croatian national team, and has two goals for them, including this howitzer, the first of two late goals for the Croats to pip Wales 2-1 back in March. The national side also boasts names such as Luka Modric, Mario Mandzukic, and Lovren’s partner at the back Vedran Corluka.
The defender said it was always a goal of his to come to England. “After three-and-a-half years in France, it was a dream to play in the Premier League. Now the dream has come true. I have it in my mind to do something big, and I see the same thing in the club.”
He also confirmed the deal on Twitter.
Lovren will partner at Southampton with Maya Yoshida and Jose Fonte at the back, as well as January addition Vegard Forren.
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season