Jun 14, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Having won the FA Cup last season but also faced with relegation to the Championship, Wigan Athletic will now turn to Owen Coyle to attempt at a Premier League return.
The 46-year-old has managed in the English top flight before, with Bolton, but they were relegated under his management in 2012. Before Bolton, Coyle brought Burnley up to the Premier League via the Championship playoff.
Having managed both Bolton and Burnley previously, it will be the third Lancashire-based club in a row that Coyle has managed.
Chairman Dave Whelan said the deal isn’t 100% complete yet but confirmed Coyle is his choice.
UPDATE: Wigan confirm via their official Twitter account that the deal is completed and the appointment is official.
“We’ve agreed in principle a deal with Owen. We’re just talking to his agent at the moment about getting it finalized” said Whelan. “I’ve got to say of all the candidates to apply I thought he was the best. It should be all signed off today. His agent is here at present talking to (chief executive) Jonathan (Jackson) and get the deal done and he’s operating as from tomorrow morning. He’s got a lot of work on and has got to start immediately.”
Whelan said there were over 40 applicants and three or four finalists, including former England coach Steve McClaren.
One of the Scot’s first competitive fixtures with Wigan will be a chance for silverware in the Community Shield, which pits the FA Cup winners against the Premier League defending champions. Therefore, it will be Manchester United they take on at Wembley on August 11.
His contract is a 1-year rolling contract.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 1
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs