Jun 15, 2013, 10:38 PM EST
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce told the Daily Mail that “most of the negotiations are done” with Liverpool striker Andy Carroll, and they’re just waiting for the player to put pen to paper.
The London club’s manager explained that both he and the Englishman were out if the country but that they’ve both spoken both to each other and through his agent.
He also explained the two clubs have agreed on a fee, in the range of £15 million ($23.6 million) according to the Mail.
“I’ve no real need to speak to him over his decision” said Big Sam. “I’ve spoken to him enough times so he knows what I think and it’s up to him. He’s back in the next few days so we should have a definitive answer by the end of next week.”
The Mail says West Ham are ready, willing, and able to break their wage structure to sign Carroll, and that he’s also set to make £2 million ($3.14 million) from Liverpool on the sale as a “golden goodbye” payment because he didn’t formally ask to leave.
Carroll, purchased by Liverpool from Newcastle for £35 million ($55 million) 2011, and has largely disappointed at Anfield before being sent on loan to West Ham for all of last year.
The 24-year-old striker enjoyed a prolific season with the Hammers, scoring 7 goals and assisting 4 more, although still clearly not living up to his original price.
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 0
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 6
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 14
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (36)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (21)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (14)