Jun 15, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Statistics are hardly the straw the stirs soccer the way it does so many other American sports. But there are certainly numbers the rise above others in significance.
Periodically, I like to pour carefully through the stack of stats and draw a circle around a few of them.
From Major League Soccer’s latest stats pack, here are some potentially talkers, and what makes them so.
- San Jose bully-boy center back Victor Bernardez will miss Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier versus the United States for a yellow card accumulation (well, “accumulation” being two when it comes to World Cup qualifying). A surprise? Nah … not if you consider than Bernardez is tied atop the leaders with six cautions.
- A big difference in FC Dallas this year and FC Dallas’ version of 2012: the ability to see out the results, to properly manage matches in late minutes. Result: Dallas is a league-best 6-0-0 in one-goal games.
- Bruce Arena and the Galaxy may be correct to complain about the alleged foul that led to Marcelo Sarvas’ dodgy yellow card late in last week’s match against Real Salt Lake. (We went over that one here.) But! … Sarvas does foul a lot. And he has probably deserved another card or two along the way for persistent fouling. So, karmic justice? Either way, he leads the league in fouls committed with 42.
- Dallas’ David Ferreira (pictured) leads the league in fouls suffered with 43. But Columbus’ Eddie Gaven is second with 38, and he has played in two or three fewer matches than the leaders around him. That just helps underscore how much the Crew will miss that guy; Gaven recently suffered an ACL tear.
- Most eye-popping stat out there: There have been 12 own goals in MLS this year. Vancouver has four of them! Man, they should kick one to start the match just to get the damn thing over with.
- You know how everybody kept expecting this big goalkeeper battle in New York once Ryan Meara got past his injury, and how we thought he was almost ready in preseason? Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles has started more matches (16) than any other player in the league.
- New England’s Bobby Shuttleworth has the league’s top saves percentage, 80.4. Tough to say, but longtime Revs backstopper Matt Reis is going to have a tough, tough time ever getting that job back.
- D.C. United has gone 295 minutes without a goal in league matches. Not to worry; they’ve got some time before matching New England’s 394-minute scoreless skid earlier this year.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Employees have been disciplined and now Cardiff owner Vincent Tan is after a former employee.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:37 AM EDT
With Brendan Rodgers having steered Liverpool to unthinkable Premier League heights, Arsene Wenger believes the deciders should instead look to the league’s trenches to give out its postseason award.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
Week one of the NWSL season sees Seattle atop of the league, but an import from Spain snagged her own headlines for Western New York.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
It took six-and-a-half weeks, but last year’s Supporters’ Shield winners have their first victory of the season.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Three matches the shoot up the title, Champions League races:
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
One location is the clear favor for No. 24, but down to one slot, the competition could pick up.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Like his players, City’s boss has plenty of questions to answer after Wednesday’s disappointment.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
If Atlanta, Miami aren’t good sports towns, it may not matter. The doubts critics have cast on the league’s Southeast excursion may be irrelevant.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Top four hopes over for Everton?
Apr 16, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Real win Copa del Rey as Barcelona’s bad run continues:
Apr 16, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
One more spot in MLS’s planned expansion is gone, with Atlanta set to begin play in 2017.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Two late goals gave Sunderland a lead, one City pulled back just before full-time.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Eagles soar to safety, but Everton’s Champions League dreams are in ruins:
Apr 16, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Two of Serie A’s most productive scorers may not be at this summer’s World Cup. Llorente wonders why.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Which Liverpool player picked up the Player of the Week accolade?
Apr 16, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Both sides look to cash in on matches in hand at the Etihad.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Can Tim Howard and the Toffees win their eighth-straight game? Watch live online, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Having MLS teams share their home with NFL sides could be a smart move ahead of the next wave of expansion:
Apr 16, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Find out who made the PL Team of the Week, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Two PL matches take place on Wednesday, with both set to impact the top and bottom of the standings:
- NWSL Digest: Reign, Flash flying as we move past Week 1 0
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 3
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 3
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6