Jun 15, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
The ongoing game of musical chairs that goes on around transfer time helps make it the “Silly Season” that it is.
We give you Arsenal’s pursuit of Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain.
Word comes today that Arsenal would be willing to spend at record levels for the Argentine striker, who seems to on the outs at the Bernabeu. But there’s the rub; he seems to be.
It’s hard to say who might be on the “ins” and the “outs” because there’s no one in charge of the team.
Real chief Florentino Perez wants Carlo Ancelotti to be Jose Mourinho’s successor. Mourinho, of course, has just landed his second gig at Stamford Bridge (a.k.a., his second chance to be Roman Abramovich’s latest firing).
Ancelotti slotting in at Madrid would be simple enough … except that PSG management (specifically president Nasser Al-Khelaifi) is playing hardball and refusing to let him go.
PSG might be willing to part with Ancelotti … but perhaps only if they can secure Dutch smarty Guus Hiddink, who is the Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala in Dagestan. Now, as you digest all of that, try to remember: this post is all about Higuain (pictured). Higuain, by the way, is nowhere near any of the drama; he’s on the other side of the world, occasionally being a naughty boy while doing his part in Argentina’s ongoing World Cup qualifying.
So all this leaves Arsene Wenger and his boss, Gunner chief and former MLS executive Ivan Gazidis, essentially watched and waiting. They are willing to spend for someone who would fill the biggest need around the Emirates, a high goal producer to finally replace Robin van Persie, or get as close to that as possible.
Yes … it’s a silly (and probably frustrating) season for everyone involved.
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 1
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 2
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0