Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part I: Summers away, fishing and “chill” time

Jun 16, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-TOTTENHAM-MAN CITY

The season-to-season cycle can be a brutal grind for players at the highest levels. Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international Clint Dempsey, for instance, is looking forward to his longest break in years – one that stretches almost to a full month!

That is hardly an abundance of time for recuperating and regenerating, mentally and physically. So Dempsey attempts to put the time to full use.

The 30-year-old Texan will soon begin his eighth English Premier League season. (That hardly seems possible! But I double checked; it’s correct.) So there is some precious time off first.

Dempsey will officially be off the clock come late Tuesday night, after the United States wraps up its fifth of five matches that began late last month. Dempsey downshifts into “chill” time following Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier in Salt Lake City; he’ll be off until jetting into Hong Kong with Spurs on July 18 of 19.

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the first of three parts of the interview)

Q: Considering everything going on last summer, a prolonged transfer saga, the possibility that came and went of you landing in Liverpool and then finally making a late arrival into White Hart Lane, you must be looking forward to a much more settled and relaxed summer?

Yeah, I get almost four weeks off, and that’s the longest break I’ve had since I’ve been to Europe. So I’m looking forward to it. … That was definitely very stressful [last summer]. But now things are good. You just want to think about finishing strong with these qualifiers, making sure we qualify for the World Cup and then, by having a good last game, making sure you enjoy your break and that you can really chill.”

Q: How much time do you get to spend in back home in East Texas during your summers?

In the past, it has always depended on how much time was getting off. I was usually only getting about 20 or 22 days off. So I would usually do 10 days in Texas, then I would do 10-12 days in North Carolina. We’ve got a place in North Carolina – that’s where my wife is from.  It’s a good reference point as far as getting back and forth to England.  So I try to split that time evenly, you know, to really get back to my roots.”

Q: Do you try to get away from the game during your summers, or are you such a soccer junkie that you re-watch matches or try to get into pickup games?

No, I get away from hit, man. I do a lot of fishing, and hanging around outside, hanging out with the family, doing some barbecuing, swimming in the pool, playing with the kids. All those types of things. I try not to even keep my phone around; I try to stay away from that. I try not to even watch too much TV. Every now and then I might catch a game that’s on. But for the most part, I really try to chill and get away from it all and spend time with the family. Because there’s not many times when I’m back in Texas, so you don’t get to have those days when you get to be around all your family, like when I was a kid.”

Bonus Q: You mentioned fishing; do you ever fish in England? Do they even fish like that in England?

You can do some fishing there! I just haven’t got into it. They do some carp fishing and some trout fishing. I know there are some big ol’ catfish up there that would be fun to catch. I just haven’t gotten around to going and doing that. I pretty much do most of my fishing at home with my dad, because that’s what we did growing up. We didn’t have a lot of money to go different places, so we would just go camping at the lake. We would go to Lake Sam Rayburn and places like that, and those are definitely some of my best memories as a kid.”

(MORE: Part II … London calling)

(MORE: Part III … Dempsey’s upcoming season at Spurs)

Latest Posts
  1. Paderborn keeps scoring ridiculous goals, keeps winning

Oct 21, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT

Paderborn Getty Images

Paderborn hasn’t stopped winning or scoring insane goals, if you haven’t noticed.

2. VIDEO: Men In Blazer – Balotelli, own goals, and Mark Consuelos

Oct 20, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT

Men In Blazers

Actor Mark Consuelos made his way to the Crap Part of Soho while the Men In Blazers tried to keep the ball out of their own net.

3. Champions League Tuesday preview: City in Russia, Roma hosts Bayern

Oct 20, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT

Bayern AP

Bayern Munich have a very difficult match on the road in Italy, while other matchups in Spain, Russia, and Germany will all prove enjoyable.

4. USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti

Oct 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT

Lloyd AP

Meghan Klingenberg bagged a laser beam for her first US goal and Abby Wambach grabbed two as the Americans will move on to the semifinals.

5. Manchester Police arrest man for flying drone over City vs Spurs match

Oct 20, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT

Photo credit: Greater Manchester Police Photo credit: Greater Manchester Police

Manchester Police confirmed a man was arrested after flying a drone over the match that entertained 45,000 people.

6. Americans Abroad: Johannsson, Cameron, Boyd all return

Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Cameron AP

Aron Johannsson bagged a penalty in his return from groin surgery, while Juan Agudelo continues to search for a new club.

7. Adel Taarabt jabs back after Redknapp’s scathing comments

Oct 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Taarabt Getty Images

Adel Taarabt says the harsh words from manager Harry Redknapp are not only untrue but damaging as a professional.

8. New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach

Oct 20, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT

Raul Getty Images

The New York Cosmos completed a massive signing, beating out a few of his former clubs to nab the Spanish legend as a player and coach.

9. Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November

Oct 20, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT

Jurgen Klinsmann

Despite a solid confirmation from Croatia, the friendly will reportedly not be happening.

10. WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road

Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT

WestBromUnited Getty Images

Manchester United came from behind twice but still must settle for a disappointing result away from home.

11. Teen Lazio striker totals his Lamborghini in Rome

Oct 20, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT

Lambo

19-year-old Lazio striker Keita Balde Diao somehow walked away from what looks to be a major accident. His Lamborghini, however, didn’t.

12. UEFA fines Wales and Galatasary, spare Arsenal

Oct 20, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Arsenal FC v Galatasaray AS - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Unruly fans will cost Wales and Galatasary as UEFA continues to crack down on off-the-pitch incidents.

13. 2014 Homeless World Cup kicks off in Chile

Oct 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT

FBL-CHILE-HOMELESS WORLD CUP Getty Images

The yearly tournament organizes five-a-side matches for people that are homeless or living in extreme poverty.

14. Transfer talk: Multiple PL clubs interested in Andre Ayew

Oct 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

FBL-FRA-LIGUE1-GUINGAMP-MARSEILLE Getty Images

Liverpool, Everton and Swansea City are just a few of the Premier League clubs reportedly looking to sign the Marseille winger.

15. Lukas Podolski: ‘Hell will freeze over’ before playing for Spurs

Oct 20, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-FACUP-ARSENAL-HULL Getty Images

With transfer rumors swirling, the Arsenal forward made it clear that he is #AlwaysAGunner.

16. South Africa rules out hosting Africa Cup of Nations

Oct 20, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT

FBL-AFR2015-SUD-RSA Getty Images

Amidst the Ebola outbreak, South Africa has ruled out hosting the continent’s premier tournament should Morocco back out.

17. Indian player dies after goal celebration

Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Sad news out of India as a young player died after injuring his spinal cord during a celebration.

18. CSKA Moscow striker says Manchester City are ‘very weak’

Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-CSKA-BAYERN Getty Images

Ahmed Musa stirred the pot ahead of his club’s Champions League clash this week, calling out City’s form.

19. Premier League Preview: West Brom vs. Manchester United

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN UTD-WEST BROM Getty Images

Watch the Baggies take on Manchester United today, live at 3:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN.

20. Petr Cech is giving Thibaut Courtois safety tips

Oct 20, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT

Chelsea v Arsenal - Premier League Getty Images

The Chelsea backup is teaching his replacement how to stay safe from head injuries, which have affected both keepers.

Week 8: Saturday PL recap