Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part I: Summers away, fishing and “chill” time

Jun 16, 2013, 5:00 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-TOTTENHAM-MAN CITY

The season-to-season cycle can be a brutal grind for players at the highest levels. Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international Clint Dempsey, for instance, is looking forward to his longest break in years – one that stretches almost to a full month!

That is hardly an abundance of time for recuperating and regenerating, mentally and physically. So Dempsey attempts to put the time to full use.

The 30-year-old Texan will soon begin his eighth English Premier League season. (That hardly seems possible! But I double checked; it’s correct.) So there is some precious time off first.

Dempsey will officially be off the clock come late Tuesday night, after the United States wraps up its fifth of five matches that began late last month. Dempsey downshifts into “chill” time following Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier in Salt Lake City; he’ll be off until jetting into Hong Kong with Spurs on July 18 of 19.

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the first of three parts of the interview)

Q: Considering everything going on last summer, a prolonged transfer saga, the possibility that came and went of you landing in Liverpool and then finally making a late arrival into White Hart Lane, you must be looking forward to a much more settled and relaxed summer?

Yeah, I get almost four weeks off, and that’s the longest break I’ve had since I’ve been to Europe. So I’m looking forward to it. … That was definitely very stressful [last summer]. But now things are good. You just want to think about finishing strong with these qualifiers, making sure we qualify for the World Cup and then, by having a good last game, making sure you enjoy your break and that you can really chill.”

Q: How much time do you get to spend in back home in East Texas during your summers?

In the past, it has always depended on how much time was getting off. I was usually only getting about 20 or 22 days off. So I would usually do 10 days in Texas, then I would do 10-12 days in North Carolina. We’ve got a place in North Carolina – that’s where my wife is from.  It’s a good reference point as far as getting back and forth to England.  So I try to split that time evenly, you know, to really get back to my roots.”

Q: Do you try to get away from the game during your summers, or are you such a soccer junkie that you re-watch matches or try to get into pickup games?

No, I get away from hit, man. I do a lot of fishing, and hanging around outside, hanging out with the family, doing some barbecuing, swimming in the pool, playing with the kids. All those types of things. I try not to even keep my phone around; I try to stay away from that. I try not to even watch too much TV. Every now and then I might catch a game that’s on. But for the most part, I really try to chill and get away from it all and spend time with the family. Because there’s not many times when I’m back in Texas, so you don’t get to have those days when you get to be around all your family, like when I was a kid.”

Bonus Q: You mentioned fishing; do you ever fish in England? Do they even fish like that in England?

You can do some fishing there! I just haven’t got into it. They do some carp fishing and some trout fishing. I know there are some big ol’ catfish up there that would be fun to catch. I just haven’t gotten around to going and doing that. I pretty much do most of my fishing at home with my dad, because that’s what we did growing up. We didn’t have a lot of money to go different places, so we would just go camping at the lake. We would go to Lake Sam Rayburn and places like that, and those are definitely some of my best memories as a kid.”

(MORE: Part II … London calling)

(MORE: Part III … Dempsey’s upcoming season at Spurs)

Latest Posts
  1. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win

Jan 30, 2015, 12:02 PM EST

Pablo Zabaleta Pablo Zabaleta

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the winners and losers in Week 23.

2. Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City

Jan 30, 2015, 11:40 AM EST

Chelsea v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

There are big ones, and there are bigger ones… and this one’s a doozy.

3. Manchester United signs youngster from Scholes-, Giggs-owned semipro side

Jan 30, 2015, 10:54 AM EST

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/

There’s quite a bit of saccharine in this perfect PR story, but it’s a cool tale nonetheless.

4. San Francisco 49ers brass announced as investors in Sacramento Republic

Jan 30, 2015, 10:19 AM EST

sacbee.com sacbee.com

“We have more 49ers season ticket holders in Sacramento than we do in San Francisco,” the 49ers CEO said

5. Man City’s Pellegrini hopes stamping ban will change “top player” Costa

Jan 30, 2015, 9:33 AM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST HAM-MAN CITY Getty Images

The Manchester City manager made the comments during the pre-Chelsea press conference on Friday.

6. Louis van Gaal: No Carrick for month, no new signings, Fletcher is at West Ham

Jan 30, 2015, 8:48 AM EST

Limited but talented, Michael Carrick's virtues are the subject of a constant debate around Manchester United's midfield. The England international, however, is less of a problem than the players who have been chosen to play around him. (Photo: Getty Images) Getty Images

Louis van Gaal’s Red Devils host Leicester City at 10am ET on Saturday.

7. Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more

Jan 30, 2015, 7:46 AM EST

Costa to miss out vs. Palace? Getty Images

This further limits Jose Mourinho’s options for Saturday’s match, and will also keep Costa from a trip to Aston Villa and a visit from Everton.

8. Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season

Jan 30, 2015, 7:35 AM EST

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

Much like their signing and loaning back of Divock Origi at Lille this summer, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers makes an investment in the future.

9. Report: Dani Osvaldo elects for Juventus return, making early Giovinvo exit possible

Jan 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EST

Dani Osvaldo, Inter Milan Dani Osvaldo, Inter Milan

Osvaldo-to-Juventus could mean Giovinco-to-Toronto happens six months early.

10. David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

David Beckham David Beckham

The latest update from Beckham on building a stadium, bringing an MLS team to Miami.

11. DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution

Jan 29, 2015, 7:10 PM EST

Mattia Destro, AS Roma Mattia Destro, AS Roma

What went down on Thursday, the 29th day of this January transfer window? A full recap, inside.

12. Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS

Jan 29, 2015, 5:36 PM EST

Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht

Agudelo is back in MLS, where he probably should have been all along.

13. Russia to cut budget for 2018 World Cup, as economy continues to struggle

Jan 29, 2015, 3:18 PM EST

FIFA FIFA

Putin and Russia have already had to cut costs for the 2018 World Cup.

14. Alexis Sanchez an injury concern for Arsenal

Jan 29, 2015, 2:43 PM EST

Arsenal v Southampton - Premier League

Arsenal’s main man is touch and go for this weekend’s game against Aston Villa.

15. Daniel Sturridge could return from injury for Liverpool this weekend against West Ham

Jan 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Liverpool FC Training Session Liverpool FC Training Session

Liverpool’s leading striker could return to action this Saturday after five months out.

16. How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash?

Jan 29, 2015, 1:02 PM EST

Manchester City v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

With players out and title dreams on the line, how will Chelsea and City line up on Saturday?

17. VIDEO: Jurgen Klinsmann’s a stud, backheels TWO balls at the same time

Jan 29, 2015, 11:43 AM EST

jurgen_klinsmann Getty Images

Watch Klinsmann’s insane piece of skill from the friendly vs. Chile on Wednesday. My word.

Chelsea v Man City: Lampard the hero?