Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part I: Summers away, fishing and “chill” time

Jun 16, 2013, 5:00 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-TOTTENHAM-MAN CITY

The season-to-season cycle can be a brutal grind for players at the highest levels. Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international Clint Dempsey, for instance, is looking forward to his longest break in years – one that stretches almost to a full month!

That is hardly an abundance of time for recuperating and regenerating, mentally and physically. So Dempsey attempts to put the time to full use.

The 30-year-old Texan will soon begin his eighth English Premier League season. (That hardly seems possible! But I double checked; it’s correct.) So there is some precious time off first.

Dempsey will officially be off the clock come late Tuesday night, after the United States wraps up its fifth of five matches that began late last month. Dempsey downshifts into “chill” time following Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier in Salt Lake City; he’ll be off until jetting into Hong Kong with Spurs on July 18 of 19.

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the first of three parts of the interview)

Q: Considering everything going on last summer, a prolonged transfer saga, the possibility that came and went of you landing in Liverpool and then finally making a late arrival into White Hart Lane, you must be looking forward to a much more settled and relaxed summer?

Yeah, I get almost four weeks off, and that’s the longest break I’ve had since I’ve been to Europe. So I’m looking forward to it. … That was definitely very stressful [last summer]. But now things are good. You just want to think about finishing strong with these qualifiers, making sure we qualify for the World Cup and then, by having a good last game, making sure you enjoy your break and that you can really chill.”

Q: How much time do you get to spend in back home in East Texas during your summers?

In the past, it has always depended on how much time was getting off. I was usually only getting about 20 or 22 days off. So I would usually do 10 days in Texas, then I would do 10-12 days in North Carolina. We’ve got a place in North Carolina – that’s where my wife is from.  It’s a good reference point as far as getting back and forth to England.  So I try to split that time evenly, you know, to really get back to my roots.”

Q: Do you try to get away from the game during your summers, or are you such a soccer junkie that you re-watch matches or try to get into pickup games?

No, I get away from hit, man. I do a lot of fishing, and hanging around outside, hanging out with the family, doing some barbecuing, swimming in the pool, playing with the kids. All those types of things. I try not to even keep my phone around; I try to stay away from that. I try not to even watch too much TV. Every now and then I might catch a game that’s on. But for the most part, I really try to chill and get away from it all and spend time with the family. Because there’s not many times when I’m back in Texas, so you don’t get to have those days when you get to be around all your family, like when I was a kid.”

Bonus Q: You mentioned fishing; do you ever fish in England? Do they even fish like that in England?

You can do some fishing there! I just haven’t got into it. They do some carp fishing and some trout fishing. I know there are some big ol’ catfish up there that would be fun to catch. I just haven’t gotten around to going and doing that. I pretty much do most of my fishing at home with my dad, because that’s what we did growing up. We didn’t have a lot of money to go different places, so we would just go camping at the lake. We would go to Lake Sam Rayburn and places like that, and those are definitely some of my best memories as a kid.”

(MORE: Part II … London calling)

(MORE: Part III … Dempsey’s upcoming season at Spurs)

Latest Posts
  1. David Moyes earns first win as Real Sociedad manager

Nov 28, 2014, 11:10 PM EST

Real Sociedad de Futbol v Elche FC - La Liga Getty Images

A Carlos Vela hat trick helped the ex-Manchester United manager earn his first win in La Liga.

2. Falcao and Rojo ready to return for United against Hull City

Nov 28, 2014, 10:15 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST BROM-MAN UTD Getty Images

Loius van Gaal’s side received a huge boost with the news of the return of injured stars Radamel Falcao and Maros Rojo.

3. Red Bulls’ season could rest on the shoulders of Tim Cahill

Nov 28, 2014, 9:05 PM EST

New England Revolution v New York Red Bulls - Eastern Conference Final - Leg 1 Getty Images

With Bradley Wright-Phillips out due to yellow card accumulation, it could be up to Tim Cahill to produce for New York.

4. Real Madrid release statement criticizing Platini’s comments

Nov 28, 2014, 8:10 PM EST

FBL-EURO-2016-POR-ARM Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo’s club was upset after the UEFA president said he believed a world champion should win the Ballon d’Or.

5. Can Thibaut Courtois surpass Manuel Neuer as the world’s best?

Nov 28, 2014, 7:04 PM EST

Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers - Premier League Getty Images

According to Gary Neville, there may soon be a changing of the guards for best goalkeeper in the world.

6. Arsene Wenger: Gunners to buy during transfer window

Nov 28, 2014, 6:13 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-ARSENAL-MAN UTD Getty Images

No team has been hit harder by injuries than Arsenal, who will look to bolster their squad during the January transfer window.

7. UEFA schedules disciplinary hearing after pitch invasions at Spurs match

Nov 28, 2014, 5:20 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C3-TOTTENHAM-PARTIZAN Getty Images

Tottenham’s Europa League match against Partizan Belgrade was briefly suspended after multiple fans stormed the pitch.

8. Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Chelsea

Nov 28, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

FC Schalke 04 v Chelsea FC - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Sunderland face a daunting task as they host a Chelsea side that hasn’t lost since a friendly on August 3rd.

9. Geoff Cameron talks Thanksgiving, Stoke City vs. Liverpool and more

Nov 28, 2014, 3:50 PM EST

USA Training & Press Conference - 2014 FIFA World Cup Getty Images

Cameron talks turkey, playing at one of his favorite stadiums, sickness bugs and more in his first piece for PST.

10. Liverpool’s Rodgers calls himself the bettor’s choice to get fired

Nov 28, 2014, 2:13 PM EST

Bulgaria Soccer Champions League AP

It’s no surprise that the Liverpool manager is feeling the heat after the Reds 12th place start.

11. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester United, Chelsea, QPR

Nov 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Rooney bagged what turned out to be the game-winner as United go fourth. Getty Images

Here’s how PST’s lead writer and editor sees things panning out this weekend.

12. VIDEO: Seattle Sounders supporters, culture getting just recognition

Nov 28, 2014, 1:20 PM EST

MLS Galaxy Sounders Soccer AP

It’s a vibrant and informative take on the big following in Seattle, one that even Sounders haters can respect for its size, dedication and creativity.

13. Top Five storylines for Week 13 of the Premier League

Nov 28, 2014, 12:35 PM EST

Manchester City v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Top Four and Bottom Three match-ups take the battle for Premier League places to a different level this weekend.

14. WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 13

Nov 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch all the PL games during Week 13.

15. Premier League Preview: Manchester United vs. Hull City

Nov 28, 2014, 11:52 AM EST

Manchester United v Hull City - Premier League Getty Images

Hull City is looking for a historic win when they visit surging Manchester United on Saturday.

16. Sure there’s “interest throughout Europe”, but where is the best spot for Jozy Altidore?

Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST

Altidore Getty Images

We pick three clubs in three countries that could be a landing spot for the out-of-favor Sunderland striker in the January transfer window.

17. Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Arsenal

Nov 28, 2014, 10:10 AM EST

West Bromwich Albion's Reid shouts at Arsenal's Cazorla during their English Premier League soccer match in London Reuters

The Baggies are coming off losses to Chelsea and Newcastle, and are four points back of eighth place Arsenal. The NBCSN match kicks at 745am ET.

18. Pick just three?!? FIFPro World XI midfielder shortlist is Juve-heavy, really good

Nov 28, 2014, 9:37 AM EST

FC Internazionale Milano v Juventus - Serie A Getty Images

Spain (4) and Germany (3) are the only nations with multiple members.

19. Roy Keane’s time with Aston Villa has come to an end

Nov 28, 2014, 8:35 AM EST

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

Manchester United’s legendary midfielder will stay in his assistant coach role for Ireland, spend more time with his family.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday