Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part I: Summers away, fishing and “chill” time

Jun 16, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-TOTTENHAM-MAN CITY

The season-to-season cycle can be a brutal grind for players at the highest levels. Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international Clint Dempsey, for instance, is looking forward to his longest break in years – one that stretches almost to a full month!

That is hardly an abundance of time for recuperating and regenerating, mentally and physically. So Dempsey attempts to put the time to full use.

The 30-year-old Texan will soon begin his eighth English Premier League season. (That hardly seems possible! But I double checked; it’s correct.) So there is some precious time off first.

Dempsey will officially be off the clock come late Tuesday night, after the United States wraps up its fifth of five matches that began late last month. Dempsey downshifts into “chill” time following Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier in Salt Lake City; he’ll be off until jetting into Hong Kong with Spurs on July 18 of 19.

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the first of three parts of the interview)

Q: Considering everything going on last summer, a prolonged transfer saga, the possibility that came and went of you landing in Liverpool and then finally making a late arrival into White Hart Lane, you must be looking forward to a much more settled and relaxed summer?

Yeah, I get almost four weeks off, and that’s the longest break I’ve had since I’ve been to Europe. So I’m looking forward to it. … That was definitely very stressful [last summer]. But now things are good. You just want to think about finishing strong with these qualifiers, making sure we qualify for the World Cup and then, by having a good last game, making sure you enjoy your break and that you can really chill.”

Q: How much time do you get to spend in back home in East Texas during your summers?

In the past, it has always depended on how much time was getting off. I was usually only getting about 20 or 22 days off. So I would usually do 10 days in Texas, then I would do 10-12 days in North Carolina. We’ve got a place in North Carolina – that’s where my wife is from.  It’s a good reference point as far as getting back and forth to England.  So I try to split that time evenly, you know, to really get back to my roots.”

Q: Do you try to get away from the game during your summers, or are you such a soccer junkie that you re-watch matches or try to get into pickup games?

No, I get away from hit, man. I do a lot of fishing, and hanging around outside, hanging out with the family, doing some barbecuing, swimming in the pool, playing with the kids. All those types of things. I try not to even keep my phone around; I try to stay away from that. I try not to even watch too much TV. Every now and then I might catch a game that’s on. But for the most part, I really try to chill and get away from it all and spend time with the family. Because there’s not many times when I’m back in Texas, so you don’t get to have those days when you get to be around all your family, like when I was a kid.”

Bonus Q: You mentioned fishing; do you ever fish in England? Do they even fish like that in England?

You can do some fishing there! I just haven’t got into it. They do some carp fishing and some trout fishing. I know there are some big ol’ catfish up there that would be fun to catch. I just haven’t gotten around to going and doing that. I pretty much do most of my fishing at home with my dad, because that’s what we did growing up. We didn’t have a lot of money to go different places, so we would just go camping at the lake. We would go to Lake Sam Rayburn and places like that, and those are definitely some of my best memories as a kid.”

(MORE: Part II … London calling)

(MORE: Part III … Dempsey’s upcoming season at Spurs)

Latest Posts
  1. Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets

Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT

Don Garber AP

Set to arrive in MLS in 2017, the league’s newest franchise has already sold a staggering number of season tickets.

2. No Turkish delight for Arsenal: Ramsey sent off, Arteta injured, Wenger fumes

Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT

Arsene Wenger, Slaven Bilic AP

Wenger: “It’s very difficult to understand but, in the second half, the performance of the referee was very bad.”

3. Thomas Muller reveals he rejected “astronomical” offer from Manchester United

Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-MAN CITY-BAYERN MUNICH Getty Images

Muller: “The amount that foreign clubs were offering me was astronomical. But Bayern are my club.”

4. Swansea City sign Argentine defender Federico Fernandez

Aug 20, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Argentina v Bosnia-Herzegovina: Group F - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Fernandez arrives from Napoli as Swans sign Argentine center back.

5. Newly appointed Italian soccer president probed by UEFA amid racism claims

Aug 20, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT

Italy Federation Racism AP

Following his alleged racist comments, leader of Italian soccer facing lengthy ban.

6. Wednesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Carvalho to Chelsea, Zaha to Palace

Aug 20, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

Sporting Lisboa's William Carvalho celebrates his goal against Porto during their Portuguese premier league soccer match in Porto Reuters

Arsenal to miss out on Carvalho, Nastasic, as rumors continue to swirl. Check out the latest gossip, here.

7. No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal

Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT

Manchester City v Barcelona - UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Getty Images

Barcelona banned by FIFA from signing any new players from September 2014 to January 2016.

8. Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals

Aug 20, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT

Manchester United v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

Spurs set to hand Red Devils duo escape route from Old Trafford?

9. CONCACAF Champions League Roundup: Champions fall in Panama; Sporting slips at Estelí

Aug 20, 2014, 1:47 AM EDT

concacaf champions league logo

Portland victorious in CCL debut,while Club América affirmed their place as one of the competition’s favorites.

10. Where in the world is Juan Agudelo? “Munich” may soon be the answer

Aug 19, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT

Agudelo Getty Images

21-year-old striker may turn to the 2.Bundesliga to get his young career back on track.

11. Moor’s season-ending injury sends Rapids’ defense into upheaval

Aug 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

Colorado Rapids v Philadelphia Union Getty Images

Injury couldn’t have come at a worse time for slumping Colorado.

12. Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid

Aug 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

gareth_bale AP

James Rodríguez’s opener is pulled back in the 81st minute, sending the rivals to the Calderón even.

13. UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples

Aug 19, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

arsenal_besiktas AP

Steaua Bucharest, Bayer Leverkusen, and Red Bull Salzburg earned first leg wins.

14. PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo

Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Colorado Rapids v FC Dallas Getty Images

Tesho Akindele won the league’s honor, leaving is with one question: How? Teammate Fabián Castillo was clearly FC Dallas’s (and the league’s) best player.

15. Fantasyland: Week One heroes, leaders, busts, three names to monitor

Aug 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Sunderland v Udinese - Pre Season Friendly Getty Images

A pair of Liverpool midfielders let down their owners, while Hull was the key to big, big scores.

16. VIDEO: Ba hits the bar from midfield off opening kickoff vs Arsenal

Aug 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Ba 1

Demba Ba had the gumption to try and score one of the earliest goals of all-time in Besiktas’ UCL match against Arsenal on Tuesday

17. Man says Liverpool tattoo helped him through 19 hours vs sea, sharks

Aug 19, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

Channel 7 via The Mirror Channel 7 via The Mirror

Swimming with sharks, and knowing his fishing companions faced death, Kim Thomsen leaned on the fact that he wasn’t swimming alone.

18. Tuesday transfer rumor roundup: Falcao to Liverpool, Welbeck to Hull?

Aug 19, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Vincent-Aboubakar Getty Images

Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer claims Marco Reus is headed to Manchester United… next summer.

19. Sporting CP confirms swap of Rojo to Manchester United for Nani, money

Aug 19, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT

APTOPIX Brazil Soccer WCup Germany Argentina AP

Hours after apologizing for trying to force a move to Manchester United, Argentina defender Marcos Rojo is commenting on said move.

20. Tim Leiweke denies reports that he’s stepping down in Toronto

Aug 19, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT

MLS Toronto FC Gilberto Soccer AP

The MLSE boss has been good for Toronto FC, bringing in Jermain Defoe and Michael Bradley, and is denying a report that he’s leaving town.

Top five PL goals, Week 1