Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part I: Summers away, fishing and “chill” time

Jun 16, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-TOTTENHAM-MAN CITY

The season-to-season cycle can be a brutal grind for players at the highest levels. Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international Clint Dempsey, for instance, is looking forward to his longest break in years – one that stretches almost to a full month!

That is hardly an abundance of time for recuperating and regenerating, mentally and physically. So Dempsey attempts to put the time to full use.

The 30-year-old Texan will soon begin his eighth English Premier League season. (That hardly seems possible! But I double checked; it’s correct.) So there is some precious time off first.

Dempsey will officially be off the clock come late Tuesday night, after the United States wraps up its fifth of five matches that began late last month. Dempsey downshifts into “chill” time following Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier in Salt Lake City; he’ll be off until jetting into Hong Kong with Spurs on July 18 of 19.

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the first of three parts of the interview)

Q: Considering everything going on last summer, a prolonged transfer saga, the possibility that came and went of you landing in Liverpool and then finally making a late arrival into White Hart Lane, you must be looking forward to a much more settled and relaxed summer?

Yeah, I get almost four weeks off, and that’s the longest break I’ve had since I’ve been to Europe. So I’m looking forward to it. … That was definitely very stressful [last summer]. But now things are good. You just want to think about finishing strong with these qualifiers, making sure we qualify for the World Cup and then, by having a good last game, making sure you enjoy your break and that you can really chill.”

Q: How much time do you get to spend in back home in East Texas during your summers?

In the past, it has always depended on how much time was getting off. I was usually only getting about 20 or 22 days off. So I would usually do 10 days in Texas, then I would do 10-12 days in North Carolina. We’ve got a place in North Carolina – that’s where my wife is from.  It’s a good reference point as far as getting back and forth to England.  So I try to split that time evenly, you know, to really get back to my roots.”

Q: Do you try to get away from the game during your summers, or are you such a soccer junkie that you re-watch matches or try to get into pickup games?

No, I get away from hit, man. I do a lot of fishing, and hanging around outside, hanging out with the family, doing some barbecuing, swimming in the pool, playing with the kids. All those types of things. I try not to even keep my phone around; I try to stay away from that. I try not to even watch too much TV. Every now and then I might catch a game that’s on. But for the most part, I really try to chill and get away from it all and spend time with the family. Because there’s not many times when I’m back in Texas, so you don’t get to have those days when you get to be around all your family, like when I was a kid.”

Bonus Q: You mentioned fishing; do you ever fish in England? Do they even fish like that in England?

You can do some fishing there! I just haven’t got into it. They do some carp fishing and some trout fishing. I know there are some big ol’ catfish up there that would be fun to catch. I just haven’t gotten around to going and doing that. I pretty much do most of my fishing at home with my dad, because that’s what we did growing up. We didn’t have a lot of money to go different places, so we would just go camping at the lake. We would go to Lake Sam Rayburn and places like that, and those are definitely some of my best memories as a kid.”

(MORE: Part II … London calling)

(MORE: Part III … Dempsey’s upcoming season at Spurs)

Latest Posts
  1. Men in Blazers podcast: A Night of 1,000 Stars

Sep 22, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT

IMG_9209_edit_facebook

Rog and Davo welcomed guest after guest for a very special pod.

2. Manuel Pellegrini accuses Chelsea of being a “small team”

Sep 22, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT

Manchester City v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

Pellegrini on City’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea: “I think we played 90 minutes against a small team trying to defend.”

3. Report: Sami Khedira to seal $20 million Arsenal move in January

Sep 22, 2014, 8:32 AM EDT

sami_khedira Getty Images

German midfielder would be exactly what Arsenal need. Will he arrive in January?

4. Report: West Ham join QPR in chase for Toronto’s Jermaine Defoe

Sep 22, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT

jermain_defoe Getty Images

Will Defoe be heading back to England at the end of the 2014 MLS season? Reports suggest its likely.

5. MLS Sunday review: Toronto FC ease to victory against lowly Chivas USA

Sep 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT

toronto_fc AP

Toronto FC vs. Chivas USA was the only MLS match to occur on Sunday.

6. La Liga and Serie A roundup: Real Madrid smokes Deportivo, Juve downs Milan

Sep 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT

cristiano_ronaldo AP

Roundup of Serie A and La Liga matches from the weekend.

7. Manchester City’s Zabaleta believes Diego Costa luckily escaped red card

Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT

manchester-city-pablo-zabaleta Getty Images

Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta thinks the referee let Diego Costa off without a red card during their encounter that spurred a red card for the Argentine.

8. Barcelona stays undefeated with 5-0 drubbing of Levante

Sep 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT

FC Barcelona v SL Benfica - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Barcelona beat Levante 5-0 on Sunday to continue their winning streak in all competitions.

9. Joe Hart’s Manchester City future in limbo, Liverpool may target the goalkeeper

Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT

Can England start to churn out talents such as Joe Hart from SGP on a regular basis? Getty Images

Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.

10. Merseyside police to explore racist comments at Mario Balotelli

Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT

hi-res-133f09d31924ea9d682e1f1a8a3ffef1_crop_north Getty Images

More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.

11. Mesut Ozil, Danny Welbeck brandish skills in 3-0 win over Aston Villa

Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT

Mesut Özil returns for Arsenal as they attempt to reclaim the top of the Premier League table with a win over Stoke. AP

Mesut Ozil and Danny Welbeck scored and assisted each other during the Gunners 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

12. WATCH: Alessandro Florenzi embraces grandmother in stands after goal

Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Unknown Getty Images

Alessandro Florenzi hugged and kissed his grandmother in the Stade Olimpico stands following his goal in AS Roma’s 2-0 victory over Cagliari.

13. Roberto Martinez on Crystal Palace loss: ‘We didn’t have that real drive about us’

Sep 21, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT

Martinez AP

Everton manager Roberto Martinez laments loss to Crystal Palace, saying that his squad lost its drive for victory.

14. Daniel Sturridge reacts to Lampard’s equalizer against Chelsea

Sep 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Lampard Getty Images

One England international paid respects to another as a legend scored an emotional goal for his new team against his old.

15. Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

Lampard AP

We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.

16. Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

Zabaleta AP

Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.

17. Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Visitors overwhelm Goodson with deadly counters (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

PalaceEverton

Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.

18. Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter

Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT

Balotelli AP

Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.

19. VIDEO: Angel Di Maria scores stunning chip for Manchester United

Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

ManchesterUnited AP

Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals