Joe Kinnear is named Newcastle’s director of football – Newcastle fans up in arms

Jun 17, 2013, 8:07 AM EDT

Joe Kinnear Getty Images

Joe Kinnear is back at Newcastle, this time as the club’s director of football.

The 66 year old former manager of the Magpies signed a three year deal that will see him oversee the club’s style of football and handle player recruitment and transfers. Amidst supporters’ fears that he may be inching in to replace Mike Ashley, Kinnear has insisted that he will be working with Ashley and not taking his place.

Kinnear managed Newcastle during the 2008-09 season but left the position after suffering a heart attack. But Kinnear insists that he’s healthy and ready to go now. “I am as fit as a fiddle now,” Kinnear said. “I am in the best physical shape that I have ever been and I have been waiting for the opportunity.”

Many Newcastle supporters are up in arms over the hiring, believing that the man they called ‘Mr. Long Ball’ was one of the worst Newcastle managers of all time, having put the club in a horrible position that led to their relegation from the Premier League at the end of the 2008-09 season.

Fortunately, this time around Kinnear insists his role will be limited to player scouting. Explaining that he has “a bright head,”  Kinnear believes that he can bring in the right players to make Newcastle a successful side. Kinnear explained:

What I can offer is that I believe that I am a very good judge of players, I believe that I am a good tactician and I believe that anything to do with football I have been involved in; I’ve worked with the best, I have been with the best and I intend to make Newcastle far better than they are now.

Anticipating the fears of supporters, Kinnear also made clear that he has “no other agenda” and that “if I see players at the club right now and I believe they are not good enough to be at Newcastle then I intend to move them on.”

It will be interesting to see whether Kinnear supports the French Revolution at Newcastle or whether he looks to rebuild the club around the type of players that epitomize his affinity for the hoof-it game that he imposed during his first tenure at St. James’ Park.

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders

Mar 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EDT

Zach Loyd, FC Dallas Zach Loyd, FC Dallas

A disappointing result for FCD, given Seattle’s lack of Dempsey and Martins, but a great one considering their early red card.

2. MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers

Mar 28, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT

Vancouver Whitecaps Vancouver Whitecaps

Three more points for Vancouver, who win it late on Robert Earnshaw’s Whitecaps debut. He scores for everyone.

3. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy

Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

D.C. United D.C. United

It was the late, late, late show at RFK Stadium, and despite being thoroughly outplayed, D.C. United go home with three points.

4. MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 0-1 Sporting Kansas City

Mar 28, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT

Ike Opara, Sporting Kansas City Ike Opara, Sporting Kansas City

Sporting KC get their first victory of the season, while NYCFC suffer their first defeat of the year — and history.

5. EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Gareth Bale, Wales Gareth Bale, Wales

It wasn’t a great day to be a traditional European giant, but it was a great day to be Gareth Bale and Wales.

6. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Kelyn Rowe, New England Revolution Kelyn Rowe, New England Revolution

A dominant performance — and the three points to match — from the Revs…finally.

7. Orlando City SC field a four-man bench due to injuries, MLS playing through int’l window

Mar 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT

Kaka, Orlando City SC Kaka, Orlando City SC

Think that MLS playing through int’l windows isn’t a big deal? Let’s ask Orlando City what they think about it.

8. If you only read one story on Sol Campbell today, let it be this one.

Mar 28, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Preview Screening of 'Invincibles' Getty Images

Campbell was capped 73 times, and is England’s second-youngest captain. Clearly he knows that, too.

9. WATCH: Gareth Bale just scored a nice free kick for Wales… if you’re into that sort of thing

Mar 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

Israel Wales Euro Soccer AP

A win would give Wales a two-point lead in Group B with a game-in-hand on both Israel and Cyprus.

10. Freddy Adu has joined a new club, this one in Finland

Mar 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EDT

CBMeXdCVIAAteBM-300x225

The Canaries finished in 7th place last season in the Veikkausliiga, Finland’s top-flight.

11. Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter?

Mar 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT

Denmark Soccer Usa AP

Should the States’ losses in friendlies represent anything other than a concern at the lack of US youth readiness for the big stage?

12. Liverpool’s Glen Johnson linked with summer move to, January start date with Barcelona

Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT

Liverpool Training Session Getty Images

This likely comes as a surprise to Liverpool fans, as Johnson is widely treated rightly or wrongly as a scapegoat by Reds supporters.

13. Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT

Mar 28, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Denmark US Soccer AP

Does the embattled USMNT coach have a point? I’m again bracing for the comment section when I say… I think so.

14. Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT

Russia's Igor Akinfeev hit by flare at Montenegro, match later abandoned Getty Images

Given UEFA president Michel Platini’s concerned words and warning about fan violence just this week, could he do something even more harsh?

15. Marsch critical of Klinsmann’s experimentation, lack of USMNT “identity”

Mar 28, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT

Jesse Marsch AP

The States are 1-4 in their last five matches, all four coming on the road (Colombia, Ireland, Chile and Denmark).

16. Injury update: England likely facing Italy without Welbeck, Sterling

Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

England v Slovenia - EURO 2016 Qualifier Getty Images

Both Danny Welbeck and Raheem Sterling will most likely be out of England’s friendly vs. Italy on Tuesday.

Week 30: Headline PL moment