Joe Kinnear is named Newcastle’s director of football – Newcastle fans up in arms

Jun 17, 2013, 8:07 AM EST

Joe Kinnear Getty Images

Joe Kinnear is back at Newcastle, this time as the club’s director of football.

The 66 year old former manager of the Magpies signed a three year deal that will see him oversee the club’s style of football and handle player recruitment and transfers. Amidst supporters’ fears that he may be inching in to replace Mike Ashley, Kinnear has insisted that he will be working with Ashley and not taking his place.

Kinnear managed Newcastle during the 2008-09 season but left the position after suffering a heart attack. But Kinnear insists that he’s healthy and ready to go now. “I am as fit as a fiddle now,” Kinnear said. “I am in the best physical shape that I have ever been and I have been waiting for the opportunity.”

Many Newcastle supporters are up in arms over the hiring, believing that the man they called ‘Mr. Long Ball’ was one of the worst Newcastle managers of all time, having put the club in a horrible position that led to their relegation from the Premier League at the end of the 2008-09 season.

Fortunately, this time around Kinnear insists his role will be limited to player scouting. Explaining that he has “a bright head,”  Kinnear believes that he can bring in the right players to make Newcastle a successful side. Kinnear explained:

What I can offer is that I believe that I am a very good judge of players, I believe that I am a good tactician and I believe that anything to do with football I have been involved in; I’ve worked with the best, I have been with the best and I intend to make Newcastle far better than they are now.

Anticipating the fears of supporters, Kinnear also made clear that he has “no other agenda” and that “if I see players at the club right now and I believe they are not good enough to be at Newcastle then I intend to move them on.”

It will be interesting to see whether Kinnear supports the French Revolution at Newcastle or whether he looks to rebuild the club around the type of players that epitomize his affinity for the hoof-it game that he imposed during his first tenure at St. James’ Park.

Latest Posts
  1. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

2. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

3. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

4. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

5. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

6. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

7. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

8. Paul Mitchell named Tottenham’s new head of recruitment

Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

Paul Mitchell

The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.

9. Arsenal 2-0 Dortmund: Sanogo and Sanchez send the Gunners through to the Knockout Stage

Nov 26, 2014, 4:43 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

It was an upbeat display from the Gunners, who move on to the Champions League knockout stage.

10. Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope

Nov 26, 2014, 4:42 PM EST

Reds cough up late goal, but can still advance to the last 16 of the UCL with a win over Basel in their final group game.

11. VIDEO: Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo scores 71st Champions League goal

Nov 26, 2014, 4:10 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL

Watch Ronaldo go level with Raul as he puts some pressure on Messi.

12. At The Half – Arsenal 1-0 Dortmund: Sanogo’s strike the difference

Nov 26, 2014, 3:41 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League

Good start for the Arsenal, scoring early through Yaya Sanogo.

13. Pochettino wants more rest between European and Premier League matches

Nov 26, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Tottenham Hotspur FC Training and Press Conference Getty Images

As Tottenham continue to struggle, Mauricio Pochettino believes his team needs more rest between competitions.

14. Zenit St. Petersburg 1-0 Benfica: Danny strike eliminates Portuguese champs

Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ZENIT-BENFICA Getty Images

The Zenit skipper earned three points for the home side as Benfica’s Champions League dreams ended in St. Petersburg.

15. LIVE – Champions League: Arsenal host Dortmund, Liverpool face Ludogorets

Nov 26, 2014, 1:58 PM EST

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Follow all the action from the UCL’s eight games on Wednesday, right here.

16. Liverpool legend says Simon Mignolet is ‘worse than Dracula’

Nov 26, 2014, 1:13 PM EST

Norwich City v Liverpool - Premier League Getty Images

Former Reds’ goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar had some choice words for the struggling Simon Mignolet as Liverpool’s tumultuous season continues.

17. Arjen Robben: Bayern were ‘brutally punished’ by City

Nov 26, 2014, 12:29 PM EST

Manchester City FC v FC Bayern Muenchen - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

The Bayern star was outshone by Sergio Aguero’s hat trick in Munich’s 3-2 loss to Manchester City.

18. Victor Moses out up to eight weeks with injury

Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Stoke City v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Stoke City will be without their on-loan winger as the Nigerian international is sidelined with a thigh injury.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday