Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part II: London calling

Jun 17, 2013, 7:30 AM EST

Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland - Premier League Getty Images

Clint Dempsey will never be one of these American soccer exports who spirits off to England and lets a little too much “England” creep into the voice and the lexicon.

The Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international does acknowledge that his personal arsenal of, uh, “big boy soccer words” may have expanded due to hanging out with so many passers and trappers from England and other lands. Their “words of emphasis,” we’ll call them, are a little different than ours, you know.

Otherwise, Dempsey may live in London and play his gritty brand of soccer at White Hart Lane in the northern reaches of that wonderfully storied megacity, but never look for him to relinquish hold on his roots.

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the second of three parts of the interview.)

Q: You signed with Fulham early in 2007, so at this point you’ve spent the bulk of your adult life living in England. At this point, do you relate to things more like a Texan who takes long visits to England, or more like an Englishman who likes to visit Texas and the States?

Oh, no. The only thing that is difficult when I get back home is getting adjusting to that heat and humidity in Texas. When I get back home, around my family, and my fishing, I’m always a Texan. I’ve got a “Texas” tatted on my elbow. I feel like I’ll be a Texan until I die. Definitely, and American too. I’m not switching up at all.  I’m not going to have my accent change. And I’m definitely looking forward to going back to the States one day.

“Every now and then, there might be a word here or there, like some British cuss words that I may have picked up in the locker rooms. But for most part, I feel like I haven’t changed. I stay who I am.”

Q: It must be nice when some of your family gets over to England to see you play around White Hart Lane. How often does that happen?

They get to come up there a pretty good number of times. My mom and dad will come up two or three times a year, for about two weeks at a time. My brother and sisters, they’ll probably get to come up for a week every year. When I’m in North Carolina, they will come up for a week there. And when I’m in Texas, I get to see them four or five days, but it’s difficult with work and stuff like that. But we do our best to make sure we all see each other as much as possible.”

Q: You said earlier the schedule has you re-joining Spurs for that trip into Hong Kong around July 18 or so. You got into the team so late last summer, the thought of getting an entire preseason with manager André Villas-Boas and all your Tottenham teammates must sound quite nice?

Oh, yeah. It’s always important to get a full preseason with the team and to get on the same page with each other. You want to start the season on a good note, try to get those wins, get yours stats up, because you want to start the season good individually and collectively … I’m looking forward to that, getting into a team already kind of settled and not playing catch-up like last year, getting that full preseason under my belt and hitting the ground running right from the start of the season.”

(MORE: Part I looks at Dempsey’s summers away and his ‘chill’ time)

(MORE: Part III looks at Dempsey’s upcoming season with Spurs)

Latest Posts
  1. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

2. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

3. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

4. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

5. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

6. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

7. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

8. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

9. Paul Mitchell named Tottenham’s new head of recruitment

Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

Paul Mitchell

The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.

10. Arsenal 2-0 Dortmund: Sanogo and Sanchez send the Gunners through to the Knockout Stage

Nov 26, 2014, 4:43 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

It was an upbeat display from the Gunners, who move on to the Champions League knockout stage.

11. Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope

Nov 26, 2014, 4:42 PM EST

Reds cough up late goal, but can still advance to the last 16 of the UCL with a win over Basel in their final group game.

12. VIDEO: Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo scores 71st Champions League goal

Nov 26, 2014, 4:10 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL

Watch Ronaldo go level with Raul as he puts some pressure on Messi.

13. At The Half – Arsenal 1-0 Dortmund: Sanogo’s strike the difference

Nov 26, 2014, 3:41 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League

Good start for the Arsenal, scoring early through Yaya Sanogo.

14. Pochettino wants more rest between European and Premier League matches

Nov 26, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Tottenham Hotspur FC Training and Press Conference Getty Images

As Tottenham continue to struggle, Mauricio Pochettino believes his team needs more rest between competitions.

15. Zenit St. Petersburg 1-0 Benfica: Danny strike eliminates Portuguese champs

Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ZENIT-BENFICA Getty Images

The Zenit skipper earned three points for the home side as Benfica’s Champions League dreams ended in St. Petersburg.

16. LIVE – Champions League: Arsenal host Dortmund, Liverpool face Ludogorets

Nov 26, 2014, 1:58 PM EST

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Follow all the action from the UCL’s eight games on Wednesday, right here.

17. Liverpool legend says Simon Mignolet is ‘worse than Dracula’

Nov 26, 2014, 1:13 PM EST

Norwich City v Liverpool - Premier League Getty Images

Former Reds’ goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar had some choice words for the struggling Simon Mignolet as Liverpool’s tumultuous season continues.

18. Arjen Robben: Bayern were ‘brutally punished’ by City

Nov 26, 2014, 12:29 PM EST

Manchester City FC v FC Bayern Muenchen - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

The Bayern star was outshone by Sergio Aguero’s hat trick in Munich’s 3-2 loss to Manchester City.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday