Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part II: London calling

Jun 17, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland - Premier League Getty Images

Clint Dempsey will never be one of these American soccer exports who spirits off to England and lets a little too much “England” creep into the voice and the lexicon.

The Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international does acknowledge that his personal arsenal of, uh, “big boy soccer words” may have expanded due to hanging out with so many passers and trappers from England and other lands. Their “words of emphasis,” we’ll call them, are a little different than ours, you know.

Otherwise, Dempsey may live in London and play his gritty brand of soccer at White Hart Lane in the northern reaches of that wonderfully storied megacity, but never look for him to relinquish hold on his roots.

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the second of three parts of the interview.)

Q: You signed with Fulham early in 2007, so at this point you’ve spent the bulk of your adult life living in England. At this point, do you relate to things more like a Texan who takes long visits to England, or more like an Englishman who likes to visit Texas and the States?

Oh, no. The only thing that is difficult when I get back home is getting adjusting to that heat and humidity in Texas. When I get back home, around my family, and my fishing, I’m always a Texan. I’ve got a “Texas” tatted on my elbow. I feel like I’ll be a Texan until I die. Definitely, and American too. I’m not switching up at all.  I’m not going to have my accent change. And I’m definitely looking forward to going back to the States one day.

“Every now and then, there might be a word here or there, like some British cuss words that I may have picked up in the locker rooms. But for most part, I feel like I haven’t changed. I stay who I am.”

Q: It must be nice when some of your family gets over to England to see you play around White Hart Lane. How often does that happen?

They get to come up there a pretty good number of times. My mom and dad will come up two or three times a year, for about two weeks at a time. My brother and sisters, they’ll probably get to come up for a week every year. When I’m in North Carolina, they will come up for a week there. And when I’m in Texas, I get to see them four or five days, but it’s difficult with work and stuff like that. But we do our best to make sure we all see each other as much as possible.”

Q: You said earlier the schedule has you re-joining Spurs for that trip into Hong Kong around July 18 or so. You got into the team so late last summer, the thought of getting an entire preseason with manager André Villas-Boas and all your Tottenham teammates must sound quite nice?

Oh, yeah. It’s always important to get a full preseason with the team and to get on the same page with each other. You want to start the season on a good note, try to get those wins, get yours stats up, because you want to start the season good individually and collectively … I’m looking forward to that, getting into a team already kind of settled and not playing catch-up like last year, getting that full preseason under my belt and hitting the ground running right from the start of the season.”

(MORE: Part I looks at Dempsey’s summers away and his ‘chill’ time)

(MORE: Part III looks at Dempsey’s upcoming season with Spurs)

Latest Posts
  1. Testimony in death of Michigan referee provides disturbing glimpse into incident

Jul 31, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT

www.hometownlife.com (Bill Bressler) www.hometownlife.com (Bill Bressler)

An altercation between a player and referee in a men’s league game left the official dead. What followed has been anything but pretty.

2. Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches”

Jul 31, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT

Portugal Champions League Soccer AP

The World Cup praise has been flowing for Klinsmann in international circles, though American analysts like Alexi Lalas, Eric Wynalda and others have condemned the manager’s approach as too cautious.

3. Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent”

Jul 31, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Neymar AP

Neymar’s health could be the key to whether Barcelona can weather the Luis Suarez suspension in pursuit of La Liga’s title.

4. Glazer family to make $150 million in Manchester United stock sale

Jul 31, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League

The Red Devils’ owners are making more of the club public following the death of patriarch Malcolm, and the club could lose adidas money if on-field success doesn’t return.

5. Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire

Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT

Jermaine Jones Instagram Jermaine Jones Instagram

Since putting in a good effort for the USMNT at the World Cup, Jones had been sorting out his next career move and partying with celebrities like Paris Hilton and Mike Tyson.

6. MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 1-1 New York Red Bulls

Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT

Chicago Fire v New York Red Bulls Getty Images

Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.

7. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 3-0 Colorado Rapids

Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT

New York Red Bulls v New England Revolution Getty Images

The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.

8. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 3-0 Toronto FC

Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

D.C. United's Eddie Johnson scored for the first time since being traded to the club this winter. His 84th minute goal left his team's game with Montréal tied, 1-1. (Photo: AP Photos) AP

The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.

9. Southampton’s replacement for Luke Shaw: Ryan Bertrand, on loan

Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 3.46.35 PM

24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.

10. Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl

Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 4.26.41 PM

Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.

11. Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández

Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Chicharito Getty Images

Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.

12. Nick De Santis no longer sporting director in Montréal

Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT

500px-Montreal_Impact_(MLS)_logo

Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.

13. Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton

Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

MartinezLukaku Getty Images

Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.

14. NWSL implements cooling break procedure

Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT

NWSL logo

With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.

15. VIDEO: Liverpool fan from New Jersey cries, loses the plot, after meeting Gerrard

Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT

Liverpool fan

Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.

16. Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio

Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT

Brazil Soccer WCup Belgium US AP

Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.

17. Philadelphia Union sign Algerian World Cup star Rais Mbolhi

Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

Germany v Algeria: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.

18. FIFA’s senior vice-president Julio Grondona dies, Argentina mourns

Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT

FBL-WC2014-QUALIFIERS-ARG-VEN Getty Images

One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.

19. Premier League will use vanishing spray for 2014-15 season

Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Morocco Soccer Club World Cup AP

After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.

20. Manchester United’s Luke Shaw agrees he’s not fit enough after Louis van Gaal criticism

Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT

Luke Shaw Andrea Ranocchia AP

Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”