Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part II: London calling

Jun 17, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland - Premier League Getty Images

Clint Dempsey will never be one of these American soccer exports who spirits off to England and lets a little too much “England” creep into the voice and the lexicon.

The Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international does acknowledge that his personal arsenal of, uh, “big boy soccer words” may have expanded due to hanging out with so many passers and trappers from England and other lands. Their “words of emphasis,” we’ll call them, are a little different than ours, you know.

Otherwise, Dempsey may live in London and play his gritty brand of soccer at White Hart Lane in the northern reaches of that wonderfully storied megacity, but never look for him to relinquish hold on his roots.

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the second of three parts of the interview.)

Q: You signed with Fulham early in 2007, so at this point you’ve spent the bulk of your adult life living in England. At this point, do you relate to things more like a Texan who takes long visits to England, or more like an Englishman who likes to visit Texas and the States?

Oh, no. The only thing that is difficult when I get back home is getting adjusting to that heat and humidity in Texas. When I get back home, around my family, and my fishing, I’m always a Texan. I’ve got a “Texas” tatted on my elbow. I feel like I’ll be a Texan until I die. Definitely, and American too. I’m not switching up at all.  I’m not going to have my accent change. And I’m definitely looking forward to going back to the States one day.

“Every now and then, there might be a word here or there, like some British cuss words that I may have picked up in the locker rooms. But for most part, I feel like I haven’t changed. I stay who I am.”

Q: It must be nice when some of your family gets over to England to see you play around White Hart Lane. How often does that happen?

They get to come up there a pretty good number of times. My mom and dad will come up two or three times a year, for about two weeks at a time. My brother and sisters, they’ll probably get to come up for a week every year. When I’m in North Carolina, they will come up for a week there. And when I’m in Texas, I get to see them four or five days, but it’s difficult with work and stuff like that. But we do our best to make sure we all see each other as much as possible.”

Q: You said earlier the schedule has you re-joining Spurs for that trip into Hong Kong around July 18 or so. You got into the team so late last summer, the thought of getting an entire preseason with manager André Villas-Boas and all your Tottenham teammates must sound quite nice?

Oh, yeah. It’s always important to get a full preseason with the team and to get on the same page with each other. You want to start the season on a good note, try to get those wins, get yours stats up, because you want to start the season good individually and collectively … I’m looking forward to that, getting into a team already kind of settled and not playing catch-up like last year, getting that full preseason under my belt and hitting the ground running right from the start of the season.”

(MORE: Part I looks at Dempsey’s summers away and his ‘chill’ time)

(MORE: Part III looks at Dempsey’s upcoming season with Spurs)

Latest Posts
  1. VIDEO: Brazilian team concedes 5th goal, starts throwing haymakers at each other

Apr 27, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT

Placido de Castro players fight

Sometimes words can’t be used to express emotions, so this team resorted to throwing wild haymakers instead.

2. Pablo Zabaleta says Pellegrini deserves more respect after last year’s trophies

Apr 27, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT

Pablo Zabaleta & Manuel Pellegrini, Manchester City FC Getty Images

A friendly reminder that we’re all entirely too knee-jerk with our reactions these days.

3. WATCH: USMNT’s Bobby Wood scores golazo after mazy run through midfield

Apr 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Bobby Wood, Erzgebirge Aue Getty Images

This one is an absolute beauty from Bobby Wood, who’s doing his part to keep Erzgebirge Aue from being relegated out of 2. Bundesliga.

4. How’s Freddy Adu doing in Finland? Watch this every-touch video to find out

Apr 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

Freddy Adu, KuPS Freddy Adu, KuPS

Freddy made his second appearance for KuPS last week, and dare we say it, he looked pretty good. See for yourself.

5. Bournemouth beat Bolton, all but officially seal promotion to the Premier League

Apr 27, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT

Matt Richie, AFC Bournemouth Getty Images

Only an all-time historic meltdown of epic proportions can keep Bournemouth out of the Premier League now.

6. MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay

Apr 27, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Ethan Finlay, Columbus Crew SC Getty Images

Maybe the best player in MLS that you don’t know about, it’s time to recognize Ethan Finlay.

7. MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8

Apr 27, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Jozy Altidore, Toronto FC Jozy Altidore, Toronto FC

28 goals in 9 games means choices aplenty for this week’s MLS Team of the Week.

8. St. Mirren captain accidentally spears teammate in the thigh in “daft prank” gone awry

Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT

St Mirren v Hearts - Scottish Communities League Cup Final Getty Images

Now 21-year-old midfielder John McGinn is set for three weeks on the sidelines, though he also has a heck of a story.

9. The stingiest squad gets stronger: Vermaelen returns to Barca’s top La Liga D

Apr 27, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT

Thomas Vermaelen AP

The 29-year-old Belgian center back joins a unit which has conceded just 19 goals in La Liga play, the best total in the league by six goals.

10. Eden Hazard joins “freestyle” video, calls rabona off crossbar, walks away in victory (video)

Apr 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT

Hazard AP

Hazard is now the PFA’s reigning Player of the Year. We doubt very much this video will make his peers think they voted incorrectly.

11. Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final

Apr 27, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT

America v Montreal Impact - CONCACAF Champions League Getty Images

Backup keeper Erik Kronberg is ineligible for the competition since he was a part of Sporting KC earlier in the tournament.

12. Newcastle legend Shearer takes aim at players, Magpies “mess”; Carver asks for protection

Apr 27, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT

Newcastle United v Swansea City - Premier League Getty Images

The headlines aren’t being kind to Newcastle on Monday morning, and it seems their manager is sick of his players’ performance and grief from supporters.

13. MLS progress report: Checking in on the East-West supremacy battle

Apr 27, 2015, 11:08 AM EDT

Cristian Higuita, Diego Chara AP

True to form, the West is leading. Perhaps not to expectations, but leading nonetheless.

14. Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer

Apr 27, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT

Mourinho Getty Images

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an alternative look at Week 34 in the PL.

15. VIDEO: Premier League Team of the Week — Stars of Round 34

Apr 27, 2015, 10:10 AM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

Find out which club put forth a performance that was second to none in Round 34 of the Premier League.

16. MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final

Apr 27, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT

Andrea Pisanu, Sean Johnson, AP

A potential week-long loan of Chicago Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson to the Montreal Impact for this Wednesday’s second leg of the CONCACAF Champions League final against Club America is not going to happen.

17. VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34

Apr 27, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT

cD05ODdlNmNhY2MwMjRlZWQzNTJhM2ViYTQ1Y2VlY2YzOCZnPTViMDJlZDhlYjcxNDdmN2UxMmYxZTdlMDRmNjAxNzM1 Getty Images

Find out whose star shone above the rest in the Premier League this weekend.

18. 10 things you should know about Premier League new boys Watford

Apr 27, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Elton John. American skippers and Harry Potter. Get to know the Hornets ahead of their PL return.

19. Rodgers unsure whether Sturridge will return for Liverpool this season

Apr 27, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT

Manchester City v Liverpool - Premier League Getty Images

Sturridge and Luis Suarez registered 52 PL goals last season. Liverpool as a team has 47 this season.

Should Chelsea be more entertaining?