Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part II: London calling

Jun 17, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland - Premier League Getty Images

Clint Dempsey will never be one of these American soccer exports who spirits off to England and lets a little too much “England” creep into the voice and the lexicon.

The Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international does acknowledge that his personal arsenal of, uh, “big boy soccer words” may have expanded due to hanging out with so many passers and trappers from England and other lands. Their “words of emphasis,” we’ll call them, are a little different than ours, you know.

Otherwise, Dempsey may live in London and play his gritty brand of soccer at White Hart Lane in the northern reaches of that wonderfully storied megacity, but never look for him to relinquish hold on his roots.

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the second of three parts of the interview.)

Q: You signed with Fulham early in 2007, so at this point you’ve spent the bulk of your adult life living in England. At this point, do you relate to things more like a Texan who takes long visits to England, or more like an Englishman who likes to visit Texas and the States?

Oh, no. The only thing that is difficult when I get back home is getting adjusting to that heat and humidity in Texas. When I get back home, around my family, and my fishing, I’m always a Texan. I’ve got a “Texas” tatted on my elbow. I feel like I’ll be a Texan until I die. Definitely, and American too. I’m not switching up at all.  I’m not going to have my accent change. And I’m definitely looking forward to going back to the States one day.

“Every now and then, there might be a word here or there, like some British cuss words that I may have picked up in the locker rooms. But for most part, I feel like I haven’t changed. I stay who I am.”

Q: It must be nice when some of your family gets over to England to see you play around White Hart Lane. How often does that happen?

They get to come up there a pretty good number of times. My mom and dad will come up two or three times a year, for about two weeks at a time. My brother and sisters, they’ll probably get to come up for a week every year. When I’m in North Carolina, they will come up for a week there. And when I’m in Texas, I get to see them four or five days, but it’s difficult with work and stuff like that. But we do our best to make sure we all see each other as much as possible.”

Q: You said earlier the schedule has you re-joining Spurs for that trip into Hong Kong around July 18 or so. You got into the team so late last summer, the thought of getting an entire preseason with manager André Villas-Boas and all your Tottenham teammates must sound quite nice?

Oh, yeah. It’s always important to get a full preseason with the team and to get on the same page with each other. You want to start the season on a good note, try to get those wins, get yours stats up, because you want to start the season good individually and collectively … I’m looking forward to that, getting into a team already kind of settled and not playing catch-up like last year, getting that full preseason under my belt and hitting the ground running right from the start of the season.”

(MORE: Part I looks at Dempsey’s summers away and his ‘chill’ time)

(MORE: Part III looks at Dempsey’s upcoming season with Spurs)

Latest Posts
  1. Three reasons Canada could surprise Group B (and beyond) at Gold Cup

Jul 7, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT

TORONTO, ON- JUNE 16  -   Tesho Akindele battles for a ball with Chad Bertrand as Team Canada plays Dominica in the second leg of World Cup qualifying   at BMO Field in Toronto.  June 16, 2015.        (Steve Russell/Toronto Star via Getty Images) Getty Images

Their “no-name” defense hasn’t allowed a goal in four matches, and Canada could surprise you this month.

2. United States midfielder Lauren Holiday announces plans to retire with Women’s World Cup title in hand

Jul 7, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT

VANCOUVER, BC - JULY 05:   Lauren Holiday #12 of the United States celebrates as she scores her first goal in the first half against Japan  in the FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015 Final at BC Place Stadium on July 5, 2015 in Vancouver, Canada.  (Photo by Jeff Vinnick/Getty Images) Getty Images

Lauren Holiday, 27, scored the eventual game-winning goal in the 2015 Women’s World Cup final.

3. Lampard talks club, challenge, Gerrard: “For me this is as much of a challenge as Chelsea was, as Man City was” (video)

Jul 7, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT

Source: New York City FC Source: New York City FC

“For me this is as much of a challenge as Chelsea was, as Man City was,” Lampard said. “I play football to win.”

4. 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks…

Jul 7, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT

Championship - 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup Getty Images

PST’s staff predict how the Gold Cup will play out as the USA, Mexico and Costa Rica clash to become CONCACAF champs.

5. 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Forwards

Jul 7, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT

England v USA: Group C - 2010 FIFA World Cup Getty Images

Altidore and Dempsey will lead the attack. But who else is in reserve?

6. Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals?

Jul 7, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT

Is he in the top five of superstars to join North America’s top-flight since the DP rule was introduced?

7. 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders

Jul 7, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT

Mix Diskerud, USMNT Mix Diskerud, USMNT

Will Yedlin start on the right? Have Bradley and Mix got the center locked down?

8. Reflecting on Michael Bradley from 1-99, as he hits 100 USMNT caps vs. Honduras

Jul 7, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT

Michael Bradley, USMNT Getty Images

A man who’ll go down as one of the USMNT’s all-time greats hits 100 caps tonight. A few thoughts on Il Generale.

9. Gold Cup Today: USMNT face Honduras, Panama vs. Haiti kick things off – Day 1

Jul 7, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT

Honduras v United States Getty Images

Day 1 of the 2015 Gold Cup is here, as the U.S. starts its title defense with a showdown in Texas.

10. 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Defenders

Jul 7, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT

Ghana v USA: Group G - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

The center back pairing is the big conundrum heading into the Gold Cup. Here’s a look at the eight defenders.

11. 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Goalkeepers

Jul 7, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT

United States Training Session Getty Images

Who will be the starter for Klinsmann in July?

12. Transfer Rumor Roundup: Darmian to Manchester United, Clasie to Southampton

Jul 7, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Malta v Italy - EURO 2016 Qualifier Getty Images

As PL teams continue to return to preseason, more moves are taking shape. Here’s the latest gossip.

13. Micronesia concede 114 times in three games, hammered 46-0 by Vanuatu

Jul 7, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT

Source: @vanuafoot Source: @vanuafoot

Three heavy defeats in four days at the Pacific Games for Micronesia, as Vanuatu’s Jean Kaltack scored 16 times in one game. One game.

14. Chelsea and Tottenham to battle for Wembley Stadium as temporary home

Jul 7, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT

Aerial Views Of The London 2012 Olympic Venues Getty Images

Blues eyeing up England’s national stadium for three seasons, but so are Spurs.

15. Manchester City signs Turkish teen sensation Enes Unal

Jul 6, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT

Chikhura Sachkhere Vs Bursaspor Getty Images

The youngest ever player to score in Turkey’s Super Lig will now try to find the back of the net at the Etihad.

16. 2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too

Jul 6, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT

Jurgen Klinsmann, USMNT Getty Images

While the rest of CONCACAF closes the gap on the USA and Mexico, it’s time for the USMNT to show they’re still improving, too.

17. New York City mayor could give USWNT ticker tape parade in Manhattan

Jul 6, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT

United States AP

Are Abby Wambach and Carli Lloyd the next athletes to be seen parading down the Canyon of Heroes?

18. Study names Raheem Sterling most valuable young player in Europe

Jul 6, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT

Liverpool v Newcastle United - Premier League Getty Images

The only question is, who’s willing to pay the price?

19. After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics

Jul 6, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT

150706-Wambach-Ellis Getty Images

Will Abby Wambach play at the 2016 Olympics in Rio? She hasn’t yet said.

20. Real Madrid rejects FC Porto bid for Iker Casillas

Jul 6, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT

Real Madrid CF v Getafe CF - La Liga Getty Images

The goalkeeper’s agent has said Casillas would like a move to Portugal, but Real is playing hardball.

PST Extra: Done deals & transfer gossip