Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part III: Shunning complacency, and his second season at Tottenham Hotspur

Jun 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EST

Italy v USA - International Friendly Getty Images

Hang around Clint Dempsey for a few minutes, and the words “get better” or  “improve” will soon spill out of his soft rural drawl.

These are the words and tenets around which the Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international attacker have built a highly successful career. He seeks out betterment with a no-nonsense, businesslike focus, the way a bomb-sniffing dog, utterly unaware of distraction, diligently scans for the potential menace.

Complacency never an option, Dempsey got better every year at New England, leading to his recruitment at Fulham. Once ensconced at Craven Cottage, Dempsey kept the career curve pointed north, finding more grind and smarts in his game every year, adding to his personal bag of tricks while driving toward the goal of a bigger club.

A club like Spurs.

Dempsey’s first season at White Hart Lane was sure-footed enough. The U.S. man finished third in goals and second in assist with Spurs, starting in 32 matches and appearing in 43 overall.

But the numbers Dempsey would like to repeat: those 17 EPL strikes and 23 in all competitions for Fulham in the breakthrough 2011-12 season. That’s what he wants.

We’ll see …

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the third of three parts of the interview.)

Q: Your early days at White Hart Lane certainly could have been easier; getting into the team so late and then playing catch-up on fitness is hardly ideal. But manager Andre Villas-Boas seemed to demonstrate faith in your abilities straight away. Did that help push things along?

Yeah. He believed in me, gave me a chance to be out there and try to prove myself. I was unlucky in that first game at home, I would have scored goal in my first game at home [Sept. 20 in Europa League vs. Lazio] if I wasn’t offside. That might have gotten things rolling for me sooner, but it took just a little longer. But then I got my first goal, an away game at Old Trafford. It was first time we won there in quite a few years [since 1989]. So that was a good debut goal to get. So, yeah, he showed faith in me and I tried to repay him by getting some goals in some big games.”

“Toward the end of the stretch, I got my fair share, but obviously I would have liked to have done better and gotten to those levels that I got to in my last year at Fulham. Hopefully, that’s something I can strive for next year at Tottenham.”

Q: Everybody’s name gets tossed into the media’s transfer-madness meat grinder. Yours did in May, and I read that AVB might be willing to part with you because he likes players able to perform strictly defined roles; your game has always been harder to define. I’m wondering if you have any thoughts on that?

You always just go out and try to do the best you can. I’ve been told I can play a number of positions.  I feel like I’m a pretty complete player. But you just try to go work as hard as you can, to fight for your spot and get on the field. That won’t be any different. Far as I know, I will be there for the next three years. I go into preseason doing what I do every year, play hard, try to get into the team, get as many games as possible, get as many goals and assists I can get. That doesn’t change.”

“He tried me in different positions, and told me what he expected of me. And I would try to go out and perform that. Saying that, he did play me, I got quite a few games last season. Quite a few starts. I was happy with my first season. It was the best season I’ve had in the debut seasons at a club, so I’m happy with that. But like I said, I’m looking to try to get to the level of what I did when I was in my last season at Fulham.”

Q: What are your personal expectations for Year 2 at White Hart Lane? Are you the type to set individual targets on number of goals and such?

You want to play for the top four [in league positioning] every year and try to win silverware and get as far as we can in whatever the competitions were in, Europa League, F.A. Cup, Carling Cup and all of them. You try to get better every year. The focus this season is to try to finish in the top four [in the English Premier League], finish as high as possible and try to win something.

“I just try to better myself every year. I want to be better than what I was last season, obviously. I want to play as many games as I can play and start as many as I can, try to help this team do well. The goals are to try to qualify for champions League and try to win some trophies. If I can play a part in that, I’ll be happy.

“So like I said, I just try to get more goals than I got last seasons and more assists than I got last season, but I don’t put a number on it. Obviously, I’d like to get to those levels that I had with my last season at Fulham, when I got those numbers like I did. That would be a great number to shoot for.”

(MORE: Part I looks at Dempsey’s summers away and his ‘chill’ time)

(MORE: Part II … London calling)

Latest Posts
  1. Radamel Falcao’s agent: I wish Sir Alex Ferguson was in charge, not Louis van Gaal

Jan 24, 2015, 10:35 PM EST

Radamel Falcao & Louis van Gaal, Manchester United Radamel Falcao & Louis van Gaal, Manchester United

The bitterness is flowing freely from Falcao’s agent as he plots the Colombian striker’s next move to a “world’s best-seven team.”

2. Italy head coach Antonio Conte supports Sebastian Giovinco’s move to MLS

Jan 24, 2015, 8:45 PM EST

Antonio Conte & Sebastian Giovinco, Juventus Antonio Conte & Sebastian Giovinco, Juventus

If MLS is good enough for Italian national teamers, why isn’t it good enough for U.S. national teamers?

3. La Liga & Serie A roundup: Barcelona, Madrid clubs win; AC Milan continue to free fall

Jan 24, 2015, 7:45 PM EST

Lionel Messi and Neymar, FC Barcelona Getty Images

Barcelona were stunning as they put a half-dozen past Elche, while Real stumbled to victory. Elsewhere, AC Milan are very bad.

4. USMNT U-20s defeat El Salvador, 2-0, qualify for 2015 U-20 World Cup

Jan 24, 2015, 7:04 PM EST

FIFA U20 World Cup Trophy Tour Auckland Getty Images

The Baby Yanks are headed back to the Big Dance this summer.

5. Sunday’s FA Cup preview: Arsenal, West Ham hope to avoid fate similar to other PL sides

Jan 24, 2015, 5:45 PM EST

FA Cup trophy FA Cup trophy

A number of PL giants fell on Saturday, leaving Arsenal, West Ham and Aston Villa shaking in their boots.

6. Jurgen Klinsmann names 23-man roster for USMNT friendlies vs. Chile, Panama

Jan 24, 2015, 4:54 PM EST

Jurgen Klinsmann & DeAndre Yedlin, USMNT Getty Images

The squad is set for the first games of 2015, following a late addition and a number of cuts.

7. Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Ivory Coast, Cameroon in 1-1 draws as Group D up for grabs

Jan 24, 2015, 4:20 PM EST

Bakary Sako, Mali Bakary Sako, Mali

After four games played, absolutely nothing separates any of the four teams in Group D. Nothing.

8. Mourinho on loss: “Me and the players must feel ashamed”

Jan 24, 2015, 3:23 PM EST

Chelsea v Bradford City - FA Cup Fourth Round Getty Images

“Frustration is not the right word, embarrassed would be more appropriate.”

9. Transfer rumor roundup: Cisse to China, Paulista to Arsenal official?

Jan 24, 2015, 2:51 PM EST

Newcastle United v Everton - Premier League Getty Images

Catch up on all the latest rumors and gossip, right here.

10. Ronaldo sees red as Bale saves Real

Jan 24, 2015, 2:08 PM EST

ron.red Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off for Real Madrid, but Gareth Bale saved three points with a late-game penalty.

11. FA Cup roundup: Top-three Premier League teams all eliminated at home

Jan 24, 2015, 1:16 PM EST

che.bra Getty Images

Chelsea, Manchester City and Southampton were all upset in one of the craziest rounds in FA Cup history.

12. Manchester City 0-2 Middlesbrough: Premier League champions shocked at home

Jan 24, 2015, 12:29 PM EST

boro Getty Images

Another Premier League giant is out of the FA Cup as Middlesbrough got the result of a lifetime.

13. Third-tier Bradford City come from behind to stun Chelsea 4-2

Jan 24, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

Chelsea v Bradford City - FA Cup Fourth Round Getty Images

Madness at Stamford Bridge as The Bantams came from two goals down to knock Chelsea out of the FA Cup.

14. LIVE – Manchester City down 1-0 to Championship side Middlesbrough

Jan 24, 2015, 11:38 AM EST

bamford Getty Images

Middlesbrough are poised to knock the defending Premier League champions out of the FA Cup.

15. LIVE – Goals galore at St. Mary’s as Palace lead 3-2 at half

Jan 24, 2015, 11:04 AM EST

Southampton v Crystal Palace - FA Cup Fourth Round Getty Images

Southampton and Crystal Palace combined to score five first-half goals in a wild FA Cup match.

16. WATCH: Gylfi Sigurdsson finds top corner from distance

Jan 24, 2015, 9:49 AM EST

gylf Getty Images

Unfortunately, the strike wasn’t enough to save Swansea City from defeat.

17. Mancini asked about Yaya Toure despite the Man City man’s status at the Etihad

Jan 24, 2015, 9:23 AM EST

Newcastle United v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

Knowing that Mancini knows Yaya well, we’ll present the comments in case something comes up.

18. Altidore ready for “incredible challenge” at Toronto FC; Klinsmann admits “There’s a lot at stake”

Jan 24, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

Italy US Soccer AP

Jurgen Klinsmann knows that Altidore’s move to MLS is a risk and an opportunity.

19. Report: Controversial midfielder Morrison agrees to deal with Lazio

Jan 24, 2015, 7:50 AM EST

Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

For every backheel volley highlight, there was a story like his nearly fighting Wilfried Zaha in an England U-21 match.

20. English football set to break record number of sackings in one season

Jan 23, 2015, 11:10 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST BROM-CRYSTAL PALACE Getty Images

Check out the stats behind the sacks as the League Managers Association releases its quarterly report.

Top five Premier League goals: Week 22