Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part III: Shunning complacency, and his second season at Tottenham Hotspur

Jun 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

Italy v USA - International Friendly Getty Images

Hang around Clint Dempsey for a few minutes, and the words “get better” or  “improve” will soon spill out of his soft rural drawl.

These are the words and tenets around which the Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international attacker have built a highly successful career. He seeks out betterment with a no-nonsense, businesslike focus, the way a bomb-sniffing dog, utterly unaware of distraction, diligently scans for the potential menace.

Complacency never an option, Dempsey got better every year at New England, leading to his recruitment at Fulham. Once ensconced at Craven Cottage, Dempsey kept the career curve pointed north, finding more grind and smarts in his game every year, adding to his personal bag of tricks while driving toward the goal of a bigger club.

A club like Spurs.

Dempsey’s first season at White Hart Lane was sure-footed enough. The U.S. man finished third in goals and second in assist with Spurs, starting in 32 matches and appearing in 43 overall.

But the numbers Dempsey would like to repeat: those 17 EPL strikes and 23 in all competitions for Fulham in the breakthrough 2011-12 season. That’s what he wants.

We’ll see …

In time arranged by Spurs and the United States national team, I talked to Dempsey on Saturday. (This is the third of three parts of the interview.)

Q: Your early days at White Hart Lane certainly could have been easier; getting into the team so late and then playing catch-up on fitness is hardly ideal. But manager Andre Villas-Boas seemed to demonstrate faith in your abilities straight away. Did that help push things along?

Yeah. He believed in me, gave me a chance to be out there and try to prove myself. I was unlucky in that first game at home, I would have scored goal in my first game at home [Sept. 20 in Europa League vs. Lazio] if I wasn’t offside. That might have gotten things rolling for me sooner, but it took just a little longer. But then I got my first goal, an away game at Old Trafford. It was first time we won there in quite a few years [since 1989]. So that was a good debut goal to get. So, yeah, he showed faith in me and I tried to repay him by getting some goals in some big games.”

“Toward the end of the stretch, I got my fair share, but obviously I would have liked to have done better and gotten to those levels that I got to in my last year at Fulham. Hopefully, that’s something I can strive for next year at Tottenham.”

Q: Everybody’s name gets tossed into the media’s transfer-madness meat grinder. Yours did in May, and I read that AVB might be willing to part with you because he likes players able to perform strictly defined roles; your game has always been harder to define. I’m wondering if you have any thoughts on that?

You always just go out and try to do the best you can. I’ve been told I can play a number of positions.  I feel like I’m a pretty complete player. But you just try to go work as hard as you can, to fight for your spot and get on the field. That won’t be any different. Far as I know, I will be there for the next three years. I go into preseason doing what I do every year, play hard, try to get into the team, get as many games as possible, get as many goals and assists I can get. That doesn’t change.”

“He tried me in different positions, and told me what he expected of me. And I would try to go out and perform that. Saying that, he did play me, I got quite a few games last season. Quite a few starts. I was happy with my first season. It was the best season I’ve had in the debut seasons at a club, so I’m happy with that. But like I said, I’m looking to try to get to the level of what I did when I was in my last season at Fulham.”

Q: What are your personal expectations for Year 2 at White Hart Lane? Are you the type to set individual targets on number of goals and such?

You want to play for the top four [in league positioning] every year and try to win silverware and get as far as we can in whatever the competitions were in, Europa League, F.A. Cup, Carling Cup and all of them. You try to get better every year. The focus this season is to try to finish in the top four [in the English Premier League], finish as high as possible and try to win something.

“I just try to better myself every year. I want to be better than what I was last season, obviously. I want to play as many games as I can play and start as many as I can, try to help this team do well. The goals are to try to qualify for champions League and try to win some trophies. If I can play a part in that, I’ll be happy.

“So like I said, I just try to get more goals than I got last seasons and more assists than I got last season, but I don’t put a number on it. Obviously, I’d like to get to those levels that I had with my last season at Fulham, when I got those numbers like I did. That would be a great number to shoot for.”

(MORE: Part I looks at Dempsey’s summers away and his ‘chill’ time)

(MORE: Part II … London calling)

Latest Posts
  1. Talented US youngsters sign for Spanish sides Sevilla, Espanyol

Jul 31, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT

Sevilla

Young Americans set to blaze trail in La Liga academies.

2. Ignacio Piatti’s move to Montréal may cost him a place in Copa Libertadores’ final

Jul 31, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT

ignacio_perez_garcia AP

San Lorenzo is in Copa’s finals, but Piatti is unlikely to join them.

3. Can Stevan Jovetic, Scott Sinclair break into Manchester City’s lineup?

Jul 31, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

International Champions Cup 2014 - Manchester City v Liverpool Getty Images

Two players who spent plenty of time on the sidelines last season are pushing to be integral parts of Manuel Pellegrini’s plans.

4. Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history

Jul 31, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT

san_jose_earthquakes_logo

29-year-old Argentina arrives from Tigre, becoming the club’s third Designated Player of all-time.

5. Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million?

Jul 31, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Romelu Lukaku

Everton’s frugality gave way to necessity. Is Lukaku worth it the serious cash they splashed?

6. A list of Manchester United-linked names to consider in silly season

Jul 31, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT

twitter.com/officialsslazio twitter.com/officialsslazio

Remember when Marco Reus, Dries Mertens and Leighton Baines solidified Manchester United’s status in Europe? Us neither.

7. Rhode Island man sues Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark

Jul 31, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT

FBL-ESP-CUP-REALMADRID-ATLETICOMADRID Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo and Christopher Renzi are looking horns over the CR7 trademark.

8. Report: Ochoa to Malaga is on as Mexican goalkeeper replaces Caballero

Jul 31, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Guillermo Ochoa AP

Guillermo Ochoa starred in the 2014 World Cup for Mexico, and now will try to fill Willy Caballero’s shoes at Malaga.

9. Sierra Leone squad banned from traveling as Ebola virus spreads

Jul 31, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Sierra Leone Getty Images

As deadly virus continues to spread, the Seychelles refuse to let Sierra Leone travel for qualifier.

10. Video: Pepe spits on Keita; Latter claims past racial slur

Jul 31, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

Ashley Cole, Pepe AP

Seydou Keita has left Barcelona, but being in a different league has not stopped the animosity between the AS Roma midfielder and Real Madrid’s Pepe.

11. Steven Gerrard: “Luis Suarez too good for Arsenal”

Jul 31, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT

Suarez and Gerrard both nominated for PFA award, as Liverpool dominate. AP

Gerrard: “With all due respect to them, I said to Suarez that he was too good for Arsenal.”

12. SI report: Bayern high on Julian Green, turned down PL loan offers

Jul 31, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Bayern Munich's Julian Green fights for the ball with Al-Merrikh's Ramadan Ajab during their friendly soccer match in Doha Reuters

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said several Premier League teams had interest in 19-year-old American striker Julian Green.

13. Eddie Johnson response to Brian Ching’s criticism? “Scoreboard”

Jul 31, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT

South Korea v United States Getty Images

Ching said his former USMNT teammate needs incentive-laden contracts to thrive, while Johnson claims Ching is jealous.

14. Thursday transfer rumor roundup: Kljestan to Galaxy, USMNT’er to Crew?

Jul 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT

kljestan Getty Images

Jermaine Jones is not the only US midfielder rumored to come home, while two Red Devils are tipped for Madrid.

15. Testimony in death of Michigan referee provides disturbing glimpse into incident

Jul 31, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT

www.hometownlife.com (Bill Bressler) www.hometownlife.com (Bill Bressler)

An altercation between a player and referee in a men’s league game left the official dead. What followed has been anything but pretty.

16. Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches”

Jul 31, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT

Portugal Champions League Soccer AP

The World Cup praise has been flowing for Klinsmann in international circles, though American analysts like Alexi Lalas, Eric Wynalda and others have condemned the manager’s approach as too cautious.

17. Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent”

Jul 31, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Neymar AP

Neymar’s health could be the key to whether Barcelona can weather the Luis Suarez suspension in pursuit of La Liga’s title.

18. Glazer family to make $150 million in Manchester United stock sale

Jul 31, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League

The Red Devils’ owners are making more of the club public following the death of patriarch Malcolm, and the club could lose adidas money if on-field success doesn’t return.

19. Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire

Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT

Jermaine Jones Instagram Jermaine Jones Instagram

Since putting in a good effort for the USMNT at the World Cup, Jones had been sorting out his next career move and partying with celebrities like Paris Hilton and Mike Tyson.

20. MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 1-1 New York Red Bulls

Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT

Chicago Fire v New York Red Bulls Getty Images

Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.