Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Like last week, Round 16 was abbreviated in Major League Soccer due to the international matches, so there was little movement in this week’s ranking:
19. Chivas USA – The Carolina Railhawks took down slow-starting Chivas in the U.S. Open Cup. So, there’s goes that opportunity, too.
18. D.C. United – Seriously, guys? You lost at home to Toronto? Don’t make us move you into last place, bumping Chivas USA! Don’t make us do it!
17. Toronto FC – To all TFC fans who read the comment above: No offence, guys! The 2-1 win at RFK was quite worthy on your part. Well done.
16. Chicago Fire – Mike Magee’s next chance to make an inspirational difference is up Wednesday as Round 17 kicks off with Colorado visiting Toyota Park.
15. San Jose Earthquakes – Mark Watson’s first match as interim manager was anything but forgettable; the Earthquakes got a road win and almost saw their manager instigate a brawl on the sidelines.
14. Vancouver Whitecaps – Hard to peg the team’s 4-3 win over New England. Martin Rennie’s team fell behind at home, but did rally against the 10-man Revs. Kenny Miller’s re-emergence as a goal scorer will certainly help things around BC Place.
13. Columbus – We’ll see if the Crew can continue to heroically rally around their debilitating injuries. The men in yellow certainly did last week as Dominic Oduro had a goal and an assist in a win over Montreal.
12. Philadelphia Union – After tumbling out of the U.S. Open Cup last week, Jack McInerney and Co. get a high-profile afternoon in a nationally televised match Sunday at PPL Park (pictured) against New York.
11. New England Revolution – Jay Heaps’ young team certainly did not react well after going a man down to Andrew Farrell’s red card. Vancouver hit three goals over the next 20 minutes as the visitors fell, 4-3.
10. Colorado Rapids – Atiba Harris’ reckless challenge was costly, leaving his team down a man and making a major difference in the Rapids’ highly contentious loss to San Jose.
9. LA Galaxy – Bruce Arena’s team is slumping, and a trip Wednesday into Jeld-Wen Field is hardly a “slump-busting” place these days. Pablo Mastroeni’s arrival from Colorado will be a talker.
8. New York Red Bulls – The club just announced a friendly against Lyon for July 16, and that should be a swell occasion. More immediately, an ESPN Sunday afternoon date is ahead as Mike Petke’s team travels just south to PPL Park outside Philadelphia.
7. Seattle Sounders – If nothing else, the Sounders should be well-rested for this weekend’s big visit to Rio Tinto to face Real Salt Lake; the club will have had 13 full days off before kicking off in Utah. Midfielder Osvaldo Alonso is healing but remains questionable.
6. Real Salt Lake – The team was idle in Round 16, but it was a big week anyway. They eliminated Charleston in the U.S. Open Cup, played host to the U.S. national team and saw Kyle Beckerman added to Jurgen Klinsmann’s roster for tonight’s qualifier.
5. Houston Dynamo – Dominic Kinnear’s team had the weekend off following last week’s elimination by FC Dallas in the Open Cup.
4. Sporting Kansas City – If Sporting KC is to get where it wants to be, they’ll have to handle the big matches at home better. Period. Last week, Orlando City SC eliminated Peter Vermes team at Sporting Park, so there will be a new U.S. Open Cup champion this year.
3. Montreal Impact – Marco Schallibaum’s team had a big opportunity to pick up road points at tired and injury-depleted Columbus, but couldn’t exploit it.
2. FC Dallas – The team has three top-shelf strikers, but circumstance conspired to keep all three off the field for most of the 1-0 loss to Portland.
1. Portland Timbers – Darlington Nagbe had an absolute peach of a goal and goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts’ save just before the break was one of the best in MLS this year as the Timbers took down Dallas, 1-0, in a battle of Western Conference leaders.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
It wasn’t a great day to be a traditional European giant, but it was a great day to be Gareth Bale and Wales.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
A dominant performance — and the three points to match — from the Revs…finally.
Mar 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Think that MLS playing through int’l windows isn’t a big deal? Let’s ask Orlando City what they think about it.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
Campbell was capped 73 times, and is England’s second-youngest captain. Clearly he knows that, too.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EDT
The Canaries finished in 7th place last season in the Veikkausliiga, Finland’s top-flight.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
Should the States’ losses in friendlies represent anything other than a concern at the lack of US youth readiness for the big stage?
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
This likely comes as a surprise to Liverpool fans, as Johnson is widely treated rightly or wrongly as a scapegoat by Reds supporters.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT
Does the embattled USMNT coach have a point? I’m again bracing for the comment section when I say… I think so.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT
The States are 1-4 in their last five matches, all four coming on the road (Colombia, Ireland, Chile and Denmark).
Mar 27, 2015, 11:35 PM EDT
Roundup of Euro 2016 qualifying matches from Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Both Danny Welbeck and Raheem Sterling will most likely be out of England’s friendly vs. Italy on Tuesday.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
Sweden’s Zlatan Ibrahmovic buries a strange one.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
England trounced Lithuania 4-0 in a Euro qualifier for their seventh-straight win since the World Cup, and captain Wayne Rooney likes what future lies ahead for his country.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:42 PM EDT
22-year-old Ventura Alvarado asserts that he would like to play for USMNT in the long term.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Manager Chris Coleman say Gareth Bale is only focused on the Wales’ “job in hand.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Suarez doesn’t think he could be classified as hooligan after his biting incidents.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The New England Revolution have been on the losing end early in the season before.
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top 0
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 6
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7