Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EST
In a Q&A on Reddit.com, U.S. international Brad Friedel revealed he’s currently taking courses to obtain his coaching badges with hopes of a career on the touchlines.
“I’m currently taking my UEFA A license and I hope to complete this in one year’s time” said the 42-year-old goalkeeper. “And, if successful, I will then move on to my pro license and at that time I will make a decision on what I want to do in regards to coaching/managing. I want to learn as much as I can before I jump into that arena.”
If/when he decides to go into coaching, Friedel will have 15+ club seasons under his belt, having made 447 Premier League appearances as well as 2 seasons in the MLS with the Columbus Crew. He’s been capped 82 times for the United States.
The Tottenham keeper also revealed during the “Ask Me Anything” session that he had hoped for years to end his career in Major League Soccer, but that he continued to get offers from top clubs and therefore it didn’t materialize. Seems like a good problem to have.
Finally, Friedel showed some humor. When asked if a goalkeeper with hair will ever make an appearance for the U.S. national team, he simply replied “No. lol”
He then revealed that “lol” doesn’t stand for “laugh out loud,” it’s in fact an emoticon for a bald goalkeeper with his arms outstretched. Reddit readers took that and ran with it, showing Friedel himself demonstrating the emoticon here. Priceless.
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 0
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 2
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)