Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
In a Q&A on Reddit.com, U.S. international Brad Friedel revealed he’s currently taking courses to obtain his coaching badges with hopes of a career on the touchlines.
“I’m currently taking my UEFA A license and I hope to complete this in one year’s time” said the 42-year-old goalkeeper. “And, if successful, I will then move on to my pro license and at that time I will make a decision on what I want to do in regards to coaching/managing. I want to learn as much as I can before I jump into that arena.”
If/when he decides to go into coaching, Friedel will have 15+ club seasons under his belt, having made 447 Premier League appearances as well as 2 seasons in the MLS with the Columbus Crew. He’s been capped 82 times for the United States.
The Tottenham keeper also revealed during the “Ask Me Anything” session that he had hoped for years to end his career in Major League Soccer, but that he continued to get offers from top clubs and therefore it didn’t materialize. Seems like a good problem to have.
Finally, Friedel showed some humor. When asked if a goalkeeper with hair will ever make an appearance for the U.S. national team, he simply replied “No. lol”
He then revealed that “lol” doesn’t stand for “laugh out loud,” it’s in fact an emoticon for a bald goalkeeper with his arms outstretched. Reddit readers took that and ran with it, showing Friedel himself demonstrating the emoticon here. Priceless.
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 1
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 1
- League Cup Roundup: Balotelli saves Liverpool, Newcastle defeat Manchester City 0
- Report: Spanish legend Raul signs with the New York Cosmos 0
- Kolorov: City have been better than United for ‘five or six years’ 0
- MLS Playoffs Knockout Round Preview: Win or go home 1