Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
What probably was a silly little remark has exploded into a full-blown transfer rumor.
Following his hat-trick in Spain’s U-21 Euro finals victory over Italy, Thiago Alcantara received the match ball for his outstanding performance.
Already linked with a move away from Barcelona, cameras caught images of Thiago’s match ball as he was carrying it out of the stadium. It had been signed by his teammates.
So what’s the big deal?
Someone caught a message on the ball to Thiago written by U-21 teammate and Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea: “Nos vemos en Manchester.”
“See you in Manchester.”
More than likely this was a little quip by de Gea to do nothing more than have a little fun after a big win and maybe nudge Thiago to come his way. No matter the intent, it’s now become a really big deal in the Spanish papers.
Already linked with a move to Manchester United, David Moyes could very well be seriously interested in the immensely talented midfielder.
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 2
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 2
- Eddie Johnson got paid: New D.C. United forward signs Designated Player deal 2
- Is Adam Lallana the man England should build their World Cup dreams around? 0
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Expectations for the Chicago Fire, Back to the MLS Playoffs!
- FC Kansas City Signs First International Player