Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
Recently released by Aston Villa, U.S. international Eric Lichaj has signed with Nottingham Forest of the Championship in England.
He becomes the second signing under new manager Billy Davies.
The 24-year-old wing back made 32 appearances in the Premier League with Villa, and will now move his talents The City Ground in Nottingham.
Lichaj has experience in England’s second-tier league, having made 16 appearances for Leeds United on loan during the 2010/2011 season.
“It’s a very good club, who are ambitious to go into the Premier League and that’s where I want to be as well,” Lichaj said. “Nottingham Forest were keen to sign me and I didn’t hesitate at all to come here. I always give 100% no matter what the situation is, that is first and foremost for me.”
The move will give Lichaj a fresh start, having been in the Villa system since 2008. He jumped at the opportunity to play in England despite cutting his collegiate career at UNC short to do so.
Mainly a right-back but also versatile to play on the opposite side, Lichaj has not found himself in contention for a U.S. national team spot since he last made an appearance in June of 2011 under Bob Bradley.
Thanks for all the comments and look forward to starting the new season at Nottingham Forest.—
Eric Lichaj (@EricLichaj) June 19, 2013
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 5
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers