Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
Recently released by Aston Villa, U.S. international Eric Lichaj has signed with Nottingham Forest of the Championship in England.
He becomes the second signing under new manager Billy Davies.
The 24-year-old wing back made 32 appearances in the Premier League with Villa, and will now move his talents The City Ground in Nottingham.
Lichaj has experience in England’s second-tier league, having made 16 appearances for Leeds United on loan during the 2010/2011 season.
“It’s a very good club, who are ambitious to go into the Premier League and that’s where I want to be as well,” Lichaj said. “Nottingham Forest were keen to sign me and I didn’t hesitate at all to come here. I always give 100% no matter what the situation is, that is first and foremost for me.”
The move will give Lichaj a fresh start, having been in the Villa system since 2008. He jumped at the opportunity to play in England despite cutting his collegiate career at UNC short to do so.
Mainly a right-back but also versatile to play on the opposite side, Lichaj has not found himself in contention for a U.S. national team spot since he last made an appearance in June of 2011 under Bob Bradley.
Thanks for all the comments and look forward to starting the new season at Nottingham Forest.—
Eric Lichaj (@EricLichaj) June 19, 2013
- 2015 Gold Cup: Three things we learned from the USA’s 2-1 victory over Honduras 0
- USMNT 2-1 Honduras: Dempsey brace enough for sloppy Yanks 1
- LOGO: Atlanta United unveils logo, makes name official at Tuesday event 2
- FOLLOW LIVE: USMNT begins Gold Cup defense versus Honduras (Lineups) 0
- WATCH: President Obama calls & congratulates USWNT, invites team to White House 0
- 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks… 1