Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EST
Recently released by Aston Villa, U.S. international Eric Lichaj has signed with Nottingham Forest of the Championship in England.
He becomes the second signing under new manager Billy Davies.
The 24-year-old wing back made 32 appearances in the Premier League with Villa, and will now move his talents The City Ground in Nottingham.
Lichaj has experience in England’s second-tier league, having made 16 appearances for Leeds United on loan during the 2010/2011 season.
“It’s a very good club, who are ambitious to go into the Premier League and that’s where I want to be as well,” Lichaj said. “Nottingham Forest were keen to sign me and I didn’t hesitate at all to come here. I always give 100% no matter what the situation is, that is first and foremost for me.”
The move will give Lichaj a fresh start, having been in the Villa system since 2008. He jumped at the opportunity to play in England despite cutting his collegiate career at UNC short to do so.
Mainly a right-back but also versatile to play on the opposite side, Lichaj has not found himself in contention for a U.S. national team spot since he last made an appearance in June of 2011 under Bob Bradley.
Thanks for all the comments and look forward to starting the new season at Nottingham Forest.—
Eric Lichaj (@EricLichaj) June 19, 2013
- Stoke City 3-2 Chelsea: Assaidi’s screamer hands Potters massive win 0
- Southampton 1-1 Manchester City: Osvaldo’s wonder-goal pegs back Citizens 1
- WATCH: Daniel Osvaldo scores Goal of the Season contender, as Saints peg back Man City – Video 0
- Manchester United 0-1 Newcastle: Red Devils slip up once again 2
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (39)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (23)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (21)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)