Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
West Ham United have made their season-long loan deal for Andy Carroll permanent after they completed the move from Liverpool, signing the 24-year-old to a whopping six-year deal.
The Hammers confirmed on their website that the fee, while undisclosed, set a new club record. The Guardian reports the fee is in the £15 million ($23.5 million) range, meaning the Reds are taking a £20 million ($31.3 million) net transfer fee loss on Carroll.
The English striker made headlines when he moved from Newcastle to Liverpool on deadline day in 2011 for a massive £35 million ($55 million), a record for Liverpool, in an attempt to replace Fernando Torres. The Spaniard had moved to Chelsea for £50 million ($78.3 million) that same day.
Last season Carroll proved valuable to West Ham, scoring 7 goals in 26 Premier League matches as the Hammers finished 10th in the Premier League Standing at 6’3″ Carroll provides an imposing presence up front, proving a danger with his head coupled with a powerful left foot.
The West Ham release says the move “represents a significant step for the Club as they prepare to move to the 54,000-seater Olympic Stadium in 2016.”
Carroll told the West Ham official website he’s expecting big things from the club and is happy to be a part of it.
“It’s fantastic for me to be here” said Carroll. “I really enjoyed last season, and that shows in me coming back and making it permanent. The fans, the lads and the Club itself has been great to me, and what I wanted to do was come back here and play football. Since the end of the season I’ve had a lot of time to think, I’ve missed it and that’s why I’m back. Getting promoted the season before last, then finishing where we did – we did great, and it can only get better for us.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 8
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 6
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 4
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1