Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
Spanish goalkeeper Pepe Reina has insisted he wants to stay at his current club despite interest from Barcelona.
At least for right now.
Reina told Spanish paper AS, “It’s quite clear – I am under contract with Liverpool and right now, there are not going to be any changes.”
There aren’t going to be any changes…right now.
That doesn’t say a whole lot, especially as Liverpool continue to be heavily linked with Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet who had an outstanding season at the Stadium of Light.
It would be silly for Liverpool to keep both men between the sticks next season, and if Mignolet does make his way to Anfield, you have to imagine that Reina would be sold no matter what he wants, and it would be in his best interest to leave as well.
The 30-year-old did go so far as to joke about whether he’d want to play at the Camp Nou next season. “Right now, with Liverpool, it’s going to be difficult as we’re not in the Champions League and so if it’s not in a friendly, it will be quite difficult.”
This is another one of those sagas this summer that will take time to sort out.
- Abby Wambach’s 2011 goal against Brazil voted best moment in U.S. Soccer history 0
- Young’s blast, Evra’s insurance see Manchester United into League Cup semifinals 0
- Late Jarvis, Maiga goals see West Ham past Tottenham, into League Cup semifinals 0
- Welcome to the Midlands: A trip to the heartland of English soccer 1
- Frank Klopas named Montreal Impact head coach 2
- Real Madrid, Barcelona under investigation from EU 2
- Tottenham is using blood spinning treatment on its players, and nobody seems to know if it’s doping (12)
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland (7)
- Intel’s giving Barcelona $25 million for a kit sponsorship you may never see (7)
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit