Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Spanish goalkeeper Pepe Reina has insisted he wants to stay at his current club despite interest from Barcelona.
At least for right now.
Reina told Spanish paper AS, “It’s quite clear – I am under contract with Liverpool and right now, there are not going to be any changes.”
There aren’t going to be any changes…right now.
That doesn’t say a whole lot, especially as Liverpool continue to be heavily linked with Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet who had an outstanding season at the Stadium of Light.
It would be silly for Liverpool to keep both men between the sticks next season, and if Mignolet does make his way to Anfield, you have to imagine that Reina would be sold no matter what he wants, and it would be in his best interest to leave as well.
The 30-year-old did go so far as to joke about whether he’d want to play at the Camp Nou next season. “Right now, with Liverpool, it’s going to be difficult as we’re not in the Champions League and so if it’s not in a friendly, it will be quite difficult.”
This is another one of those sagas this summer that will take time to sort out.
- MLS Snapshot: Houston Dynamo 4-4 Sporting Kansas City 0
- MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 4-0 Real Salt Lake 0
- MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew SC 4-1 Philadelphia Union 0
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 2
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3