Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Fans in England have been calling for a while now that the final of the coveted FA Cup should be placed after the close of the season, and not before the final fixtures as it has been for many years.
With the release of the Barclays Premier League fixtures Wednesday, the Football Association (FA) listened to the plea of both fans and media alike, choosing May 17 for the date at Wembley, a full weekend after the final fixtures of the league season.
The match has been situated in the midst of league fixtures since 2010. FA general secretary Alex Horne citing the recent Champions League finals at Wembley following all league seasons as one of the reasons the Cup final was temporarily moved from its end-of-season seat.
Now it will return to its usual place, much to the delight of fans, which Horne said persuaded the FA to make the change. “We’re aware fans and media have been calling for the FA Cup final to have a day to itself and we’re delighted that this is going to happen for 2014″ said Horne.
Last season, Roberto Martinez (pictured) led Wigan Athletic to FA Cup glory in a shock victory over Manchester City, only to see them relegated to the Championship three days later.
Two year before, City won the Cup on the same day Manchester United clinched the league title.
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 0
- MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Molnar, Meola the heroes for Kansas City – video 0
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 17
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)