Always the focal point of the attack, Wambach exceeds all expectations in breaking goals record

Jun 20, 2013, 11:32 PM EST

HARRISON, N.J. — With history set as the backdrop, Abby Wambach exceeded even her own expectations.

The U.S. Soccer centennial banners lined the field at Red Bull Arena, celebrating 100 years of the federation’s existence. But 160 was the only number that would matter by night’s end.

Wambach had a hat trick inside 30 minutes and scored a fourth goal in first half stoppage time to reach 160 goals, breaking Mia Hamm’s previous world record of 158.

“My teammates know me super well,” she said. “At halftime they were like, ‘you are such an extremist. You are all or nothing. When you want to do something you just do it.’ I’m very much like my father in that way.”

Wambach credited her teammates for setting her up throughout the night – and throughout her career. Even on a night when the world’s attention focused on Wambach, the 5-foot-11-inch forward couldn’t help but try to pass off the spotlight.

“I really through and through believe it in my heart, I’m only as good as my teammates allow me to be,” Wambach said. “Yes, I score a lot of goals and yes I put myself in positions to score goals, but they do to. And I can’t thank my teammates enough.”

Her teammates, however wouldn’t allow the focus to be anywhere but firmly fixed on the No. 20 shirt in white.

“Honestly, we’re always looking for each other,” said Alex Morgan, who has now assisted 13 of Wambach’s 160 career goals. “Abby, after she scored three, she was like, ‘OK, can we please get it to you now? Can we pass it to you? Let’s go. We’re always looking for each other up top. Making runs for each other, so I think that we play well together; we play selflessly and it has shown in the success of the team.”

Goal No. 159, which gave Wambach sole possession of the record, came when she emphatically headed Megan Rapinoe’s corner kick into the net

“She was on two at that point, so obviously it was going through my head. Just put something good – let her get up there and try to grab something,” Rapinoe said of her thought process on the corner kick.”

Even given Wambach’s prowess, Rapinoe didn’t think the record was reachable pregame.

“I can’t even believe it,” Rapinoe said. “I didn’t think that she was going to have a hat trick tonight, to be honest.”

Now Wambach wants to move on from the hype and focus on getting ready for the 2015 World Cup — a trophy that continues to elude her. And her focus on the record isn’t about herself, it’s about helping Morgan break it “in much less time than I did.”

Latest Posts
  1. Feature on Kevin Alston details Revolution defender’s battle with leukemia

Nov 28, 2014, 7:58 AM EST

New England Revolution v New York Red Bulls - Eastern Conference Final - Leg 1 Getty Images

Vice Sports writer Kevin Koczwara has the story of Alston’s fight with chronic myelogenous leukemia.

2. New England Revolution, 90 minutes from MLS Cup, must simply avoid second-leg disaster vs. Red Bulls

Nov 27, 2014, 11:15 PM EST

Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies

It’s been a long time since the New England Revolution lost by mulitple goals, which the New York Red Bulls must achieve to reach MLS Cup 2014.

3. Europa League roundup: Spurs, Celtic advance; Inter Milan, Fiorentina clinch top spots

Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

The big Europa League sides have begun to advance to the knockout round, with a few more very close to joining them.

4. Everton win Europa League group, qualify for knockout round

Nov 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EST

Toffees seal spot in Europa League knockout rounds after terrific away day display.

5. Five investigated, including three FIFA execs, in World Cup corruption probe

Nov 27, 2014, 3:17 PM EST

64th FIFA Congress 64th FIFA Congress

Three FIFA ExCo members and German legend latest to be under the spotlight.

6. Pele moved to “special care” unit as treatment continues

Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pele AP

Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.

7. English FA charge Dave Whelan after anti-Semitic, racist comments

Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

Barnsley v Wigan Athletic - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.

8. VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League

Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST

Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?

9. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

10. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

11. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

12. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

13. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

14. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

15. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

16. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday