Jun 20, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
Chelsea defender and Brazil international David Luiz confirmed via Chelsea’s website he has a broken nose, and will require surgery which he will undergo after the Confederations Cup is completed.
It couldn’t have been that hard to diagnose seeing how much blood gushed from his face after colliding with Thiago Silva during Brazil’s match with Mexico.
The two both went up for a clear in the Brazil box and banged heads, with Luiz’s face running into the back of Silva’s.
It kept Luiz off the pitch for several minutes and forced him off twice while he tried to stop the bleeding and changed shirts two separate times due to blood stains. The 26-year-old was desperate to return to the field, pointing and asking to go back, but the medical staff and referees would not allow him to return until the bleeding had been taken care of.
“Yes, my nose is broken, but that’s part of the game” said Luiz. “Now I’ll have to wait until the end of the competition and undergo surgery to fix it.”
- LIVE Transfer Ticker – Deadline Day updates 0
- Reports: Manchester United nearing cut-price loan for Falcao 4
- Toronto FC fire Ryan Nelsen thanks to disappointing position and disparaging comments 1
- Leicester City 1-1 Arsenal: Home side holds strong for draw 3
- Done deal: Chelsea sign Loic Remy from QPR 0
- Tottenham 0-3 Liverpool: Familiar scenes as Reds storm Spurs in London 4