Jun 20, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
And now, for something a bit different.
Since Major League Soccer’s announcement of it’s 20th team, New York City Football Club, MLSsoccer.com has been soliciting ideas from readers regarding potential looks and designs for the club’s kit.
The site has done a nice job of highlighting different concepts and has created a gallery that diplays the different offerings. Today, MLS highlighted the designs of Mike Retrum, a designer and lifelong football fan, and we here at Pro Soccer Talk are flat out impressed.
Retrum not only created a crest, but three kits, a goal-keeper get-up and scarves.
The crest features five verticle stripes representing the five boroughs, his own stylized ‘NYC’ type, the Queens crown and a single horizontal stripe representing the boroughs united as one.
The kit utilizes the sky blue of Manchester City (and the sponsor as well) along with black and white accents, a five stripe pattern that mirrors the badge and a ‘Superbia In Proelio’ slogan embroidered at rear collar.
The away kit is charcoal with black, yellow, and sky blue accents, as well as the five stripe pattern and slogan.
The third kit is yellow with black accents, a sash design throwback to 1973, the slogan and the Queens crown embroidered jock tag.
The scarves rock the sky blue home color, the charcoal away color, and utilize the slogan or a bridge logo.
So what do you guys think? Should NYCFC be hiring Mr. Retrum sometime soon? One thing is for sure, the time and effort he put into creating these designs only underscores the incredible passion that American soccer supporters have for the game.
For more information on Mike’s work, visit his website.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3