Jun 20, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
And now, for something a bit different.
Since Major League Soccer’s announcement of it’s 20th team, New York City Football Club, MLSsoccer.com has been soliciting ideas from readers regarding potential looks and designs for the club’s kit.
The site has done a nice job of highlighting different concepts and has created a gallery that diplays the different offerings. Today, MLS highlighted the designs of Mike Retrum, a designer and lifelong football fan, and we here at Pro Soccer Talk are flat out impressed.
Retrum not only created a crest, but three kits, a goal-keeper get-up and scarves.
The crest features five verticle stripes representing the five boroughs, his own stylized ‘NYC’ type, the Queens crown and a single horizontal stripe representing the boroughs united as one.
The kit utilizes the sky blue of Manchester City (and the sponsor as well) along with black and white accents, a five stripe pattern that mirrors the badge and a ‘Superbia In Proelio’ slogan embroidered at rear collar.
The away kit is charcoal with black, yellow, and sky blue accents, as well as the five stripe pattern and slogan.
The third kit is yellow with black accents, a sash design throwback to 1973, the slogan and the Queens crown embroidered jock tag.
The scarves rock the sky blue home color, the charcoal away color, and utilize the slogan or a bridge logo.
So what do you guys think? Should NYCFC be hiring Mr. Retrum sometime soon? One thing is for sure, the time and effort he put into creating these designs only underscores the incredible passion that American soccer supporters have for the game.
For more information on Mike’s work, visit his website.
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 2
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0
- From Prague, with love: Klinsmann previews USA’s friendly vs. Czech Republic 4
- Record summer: Breaking the transfer window down, by the numbers 0
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 3
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 5