Jun 20, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
People in China love David Beckham.
Like, really, really love the guy. As in, you-may-be-my-friend-now-but-if-you-get-in-my-way-of-getting-close-to-David-Beckham-I-might-just-have-to-tag-you-with-an-elbow-to-the-dome-piece, kind of way.
Which is exactly what happened today when the soccer God/underwear model/footie entreprenuer showed up at China’s Tongji University.
Nearly 1,000 fans had gathered at the school stadium to welcome Beckham, who was scheduled to meet with the university’s soccer team as part of a seven day promotional tour for China’s Super League, for whom he has been hired as an image ambassador.
Unfortunately, all hell broke loose and the meeting never happened.
When the retired footballer’s ride pulled up the crowd went positively bananas, storming the stadium gate and breaking through police and guards. A stampede ensued with people getting muscled to the ground leaving a trail of lost shoes and broken hearts.
After seven people were injured – three police officers, two university security guards and two students – officials decided it would be best to cancel the event. Chu Dan, one of the soccer players scheduled to hang with Becks, described the event as being ”too crazy.”
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers