Jun 20, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
People in China love David Beckham.
Like, really, really love the guy. As in, you-may-be-my-friend-now-but-if-you-get-in-my-way-of-getting-close-to-David-Beckham-I-might-just-have-to-tag-you-with-an-elbow-to-the-dome-piece, kind of way.
Which is exactly what happened today when the soccer God/underwear model/footie entreprenuer showed up at China’s Tongji University.
Nearly 1,000 fans had gathered at the school stadium to welcome Beckham, who was scheduled to meet with the university’s soccer team as part of a seven day promotional tour for China’s Super League, for whom he has been hired as an image ambassador.
Unfortunately, all hell broke loose and the meeting never happened.
When the retired footballer’s ride pulled up the crowd went positively bananas, storming the stadium gate and breaking through police and guards. A stampede ensued with people getting muscled to the ground leaving a trail of lost shoes and broken hearts.
After seven people were injured – three police officers, two university security guards and two students – officials decided it would be best to cancel the event. Chu Dan, one of the soccer players scheduled to hang with Becks, described the event as being “too crazy.”
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 3
- VIDEO: PST Extra analyzes how Deadline Day played out across the Premier League 0
- Arsenal’s striker fears grow: Danny Welbeck has surgery, out long-term 5
- USMNT move up one spot in latest FIFA World rankings 1
- Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal 7
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0