Jun 21, 2013, 4:24 PM EST
The two clubs are inching towards agreeing on a transfer fee as AZ submitted a counter-offer to PSV, confirmed AZ technical director Earnest Stewart, in addition to giving Eindhoven permission to begin discussions with the player. The talks could see Maher leave AZ after scoring seven goals in the league and assisting in five others.
The two youngsters paired wonderfully last season, a year which saw Altidore net 23 league goals and 31 in all competitions.
In Eredivisie league play, of Maher’s five assists, three were on Altidore goals, and two of Maher’s seven scores came on feeds from Jozy. Three of Maher’s five assists in the Dutch Cup went to Alditore.
At just 19 years old, the Dutch U-21 international has a bright future if this past season has anything to say about it.
But what we’re more concerned with is how this affects the U.S. international. AZ were able to capture the Dutch Cup, the KNVB Beker, thanks to eight goals in six matches from Altidore, plus three goals and five assists from his young partner.
However, despite the 23 league goals from Altidore last year, AZ finished just 10th, a sheer disappointment after finding themselves top-5 in the previous four seasons including a league title in 2008/2009.
AZ have higher aspirations than 10th, and with the sale of their young creative force it could mean they shut down the sale side of their transfer dealings. Altidore has been linked with a step up in European soccer after his successful season, with clubs in the Bundesliga and Premier League said to be interested.
If Maher heads out first, AZ may not be inclined to sell both their leading goalscorers from the previous season. Altidore sits on a 4-1/2 year deal that doesn’t end until June of 2015, so there is no requirement for the Dutch club to capitulate.
If AZ do wish to cash in, however, now would be the right time for them to do so given Jozy’s goalscoring record from last season. Just today news broke that Sunderland are “interested” in Altidore – whatever that means – and he apparently is one of the top targets for Paolo Di Canio this summer.
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"