Jun 21, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
When Barcelona failed give enough playing time to Thiago Alcantara this past season, they unknowingly allowed the 21-year-old midfield prodigy to slip through their fingers like sand.
With his release clause now at a meager £17 million ($26.2 million) thanks to a playing time clause in his contract, Manchester United – who were already in pursuit of the midfielder – leaped at the opportunity to snatch up someone who is close to being considered a world-class passer. That price is basically a no-brainer.
According to Miguel Delaney of ESPN, Barcelona are making a last-ditch effort to retain some ownership in Thiago. Delaney says Barca are thought to have made an even more cut-rate offer to United with the Manchester club writing in a buy-back clause in exchange.
The Catalan giants have basically no leverage, as the Red Devils can activate Thiago’s release clause at any time and whisk him away to Old Trafford. The only leverage they would have in this deal is to offer United a price at less than his release clause in return for the buy-back option.
Most likely David Moyes will laugh this one out of the negotiating room, as the release clause is now so low that saving a few million pounds won’t be worth relinquishing future control over the player.
It’s only a matter of time before the Spaniard makes his way to England, but now the question is will United bite on the new offer from Barcelona.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes