Jun 21, 2013, 7:20 PM EST
When Barcelona failed give enough playing time to Thiago Alcantara this past season, they unknowingly allowed the 21-year-old midfield prodigy to slip through their fingers like sand.
With his release clause now at a meager £17 million ($26.2 million) thanks to a playing time clause in his contract, Manchester United – who were already in pursuit of the midfielder – leaped at the opportunity to snatch up someone who is close to being considered a world-class passer. That price is basically a no-brainer.
According to Miguel Delaney of ESPN, Barcelona are making a last-ditch effort to retain some ownership in Thiago. Delaney says Barca are thought to have made an even more cut-rate offer to United with the Manchester club writing in a buy-back clause in exchange.
The Catalan giants have basically no leverage, as the Red Devils can activate Thiago’s release clause at any time and whisk him away to Old Trafford. The only leverage they would have in this deal is to offer United a price at less than his release clause in return for the buy-back option.
Most likely David Moyes will laugh this one out of the negotiating room, as the release clause is now so low that saving a few million pounds won’t be worth relinquishing future control over the player.
It’s only a matter of time before the Spaniard makes his way to England, but now the question is will United bite on the new offer from Barcelona.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 20
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)