Jun 21, 2013, 7:20 PM EST
When Barcelona failed give enough playing time to Thiago Alcantara this past season, they unknowingly allowed the 21-year-old midfield prodigy to slip through their fingers like sand.
With his release clause now at a meager £17 million ($26.2 million) thanks to a playing time clause in his contract, Manchester United – who were already in pursuit of the midfielder – leaped at the opportunity to snatch up someone who is close to being considered a world-class passer. That price is basically a no-brainer.
According to Miguel Delaney of ESPN, Barcelona are making a last-ditch effort to retain some ownership in Thiago. Delaney says Barca are thought to have made an even more cut-rate offer to United with the Manchester club writing in a buy-back clause in exchange.
The Catalan giants have basically no leverage, as the Red Devils can activate Thiago’s release clause at any time and whisk him away to Old Trafford. The only leverage they would have in this deal is to offer United a price at less than his release clause in return for the buy-back option.
Most likely David Moyes will laugh this one out of the negotiating room, as the release clause is now so low that saving a few million pounds won’t be worth relinquishing future control over the player.
It’s only a matter of time before the Spaniard makes his way to England, but now the question is will United bite on the new offer from Barcelona.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:42 AM EST
Four weeks ago, Benny Feilhaber wasn’t starting for Kansas City. Now, the former U.S. international’s experiencing a postseason revival.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:18 PM EST
Nine matches. 32 goals. All in one place.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Olave, Johnson, and Espindola left, but despite what this year’s narrative said, RSL didn’t rebuild. They merely reloaded.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
What do you remember about the team’s penalty kick win over the LA Galaxy?
Dec 4, 2013, 8:41 PM EST
Peter Vermes’ MLS Cup finalist can still press and pressure – but there are more winning ways in the playbook now:
Dec 4, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Back at RFK at the turn of the new Millennium, staunch defense helped KC to its one and only MLS Cup:
Dec 4, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
Arsenal stays four clear while Everton sparks debate as to whether they upgraded after David Moyes’ departure.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
Moyes says lack of “fortune” hurt United after Red Devils lose yet another home game:
Dec 4, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
The visitors hit Southampton with quick breaks, coming away with a win and proving that possession is, in fact, just nine-tenths of the law.
West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Two from Yaya Touré and an opener from Kun Agüero helped City address their road demons.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Spurs sent a dagger into the hearts of Fulham fans, who saw their club put in an inspired performance only to be sunk by a pair of beautiful strikes from unlikely heroes.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:03 PM EST
Hazard’s masterclass pushes Chelsea over the line against spirited Black Cats:
Dec 4, 2013, 4:55 PM EST
Four goals and an assist for Luis Suárez as Liverpool ran wild over Norwich.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
Gunners keep firing as they stay top of the tree with comfortable win over Tigers:
Dec 4, 2013, 4:50 PM EST
Peter Crouch and company failed to produce a breakthrough despite owning nearly every chance and plenty of possession.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
With five minutes left to play, Bryan Oviedo clinched the winner for Everton, keeping them above Manchester United in the table.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Second win in three sees Swansea bring Newcastle’s run to an end in Wales.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
35 minutes was all it took for Luis Suárez to score his third hat trick in three seasons against Norwich.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
USMNT striker opens the scoring… but Chelsea come roaring back. Watch live:
Dec 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Third place City hope to cure the road woes when they visit The Hawthorns.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Molnar, Meola the heroes for Kansas City – video 0
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)