Jun 21, 2013, 7:20 PM EST
When Barcelona failed give enough playing time to Thiago Alcantara this past season, they unknowingly allowed the 21-year-old midfield prodigy to slip through their fingers like sand.
With his release clause now at a meager £17 million ($26.2 million) thanks to a playing time clause in his contract, Manchester United – who were already in pursuit of the midfielder – leaped at the opportunity to snatch up someone who is close to being considered a world-class passer. That price is basically a no-brainer.
According to Miguel Delaney of ESPN, Barcelona are making a last-ditch effort to retain some ownership in Thiago. Delaney says Barca are thought to have made an even more cut-rate offer to United with the Manchester club writing in a buy-back clause in exchange.
The Catalan giants have basically no leverage, as the Red Devils can activate Thiago’s release clause at any time and whisk him away to Old Trafford. The only leverage they would have in this deal is to offer United a price at less than his release clause in return for the buy-back option.
Most likely David Moyes will laugh this one out of the negotiating room, as the release clause is now so low that saving a few million pounds won’t be worth relinquishing future control over the player.
It’s only a matter of time before the Spaniard makes his way to England, but now the question is will United bite on the new offer from Barcelona.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:06 PM EST
The Rapids finally confirm the man who guided them through the preseason would replace Óscar Pareja.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:40 PM EST
Big wins for Man United, Chelsea and Cardiff on a stellar Saturday of PL action:
Mar 8, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Sporting’s title defense begins at CenturyLink Field, with MLS’s first game of the 2014 season available on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Goals from Eto’o, Hazard and Ba with two hands Chelsea crucial win, as title race intensifies:
Mar 8, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
Barca could find themselves in third place by the end of the weekend, after losing 1-0 to Valladolid.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
American forward Johannsson does it again, scores beauty to put AZ ahead:
Mar 8, 2014, 1:01 PM EST
The Fulham manager is convinced that his side can avoid the drop. But is that sort of optimism misplaced?
Mar 8, 2014, 12:10 PM EST
Other sides fighting the drop will be thrilled that Stoke and Norwich split the points available at Carrow Road.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
Massive London derby at the Bridge, can Chelsea extend their lead at the top? Watch live, here:
Mar 8, 2014, 12:04 PM EST
Fulham remain dead last in the league after losing to fellow strugglers Cardiff – who themselves aren’t yet out of the woods.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:03 PM EST
Saints seal hard-fought win, as Eagles continue to battle at the wrong end of the table:
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Moyes’ offense clicks as United turn on the style against the Baggies:
Mar 8, 2014, 9:42 AM EST
West Brom are in real danger of being relegated after losing to Manchester United at the Hawthorns.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:38 AM EST
Gunners seals FA Cup semi spot for first time since 2009:
Mar 8, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Both Cardiff and Fulham are in desperate need of all three points – but will either manage to claim victory?
Mar 8, 2014, 9:25 AM EST
Is it a relegation dogfight or simple pursuit of safety? Check out Norwich – Stoke and decide for yourself.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:20 AM EST
Can the Eagles seal a big win to climb clear of the bottom three? Will Saints get back on track? Watch live, here:
Mar 8, 2014, 7:53 AM EST
Since his appointment as Tottenham manager, Tim Sherwood has elevated the side from seventh into fifth. But how much praise does he truly deserve?
Mar 8, 2014, 7:12 AM EST
Find out how to watch every single PL game live online of via the app:
Mar 8, 2014, 7:03 AM EST
West Brom are becoming masters of the late draw. Will they be able to catch United unawares?
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla