Jun 21, 2013, 4:57 PM EDT
According to multiple reports, including from the BBC and Sunday Times, Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet will have a medical at Anfield ahead of a transfer.
The reports set the transfer fee at anywhere between £9-11 million ($13.9-17 million).
It would also displace current Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina, who has stated his intention to stay at Anfield despite rumors of interest from Spanish sides including Barcelona.
Those reporting say the medical is scheduled for Tuesday, as Mignolet is on vacation in Aruba until Monday. If all goes well, the deal could go through in a matter of days and 25-year-old Belgian would be a Red by midweek.
Sunday Times correspondent Jonathan Northcroft:
Mignolet medical mooted for Tuesday – only delay now is that he's on holiday in Aruba until Monday—
Jonathan Northcroft (@JNorthcroft) June 21, 2013
BBC chief soccer writer Phil McNulty:
The question now becomes will Liverpool force Pepe Reina out and try to recoup some of the money they spent on Mignolet, or will they keep Reina and have a competition between the two?
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 4 0
- NWSL mega deal sends Sydney Leroux Dwyer to WNY for rights to Abby Wambach 0
- Prolific U.S. U-17 striker chooses club home in NASL 2
- How will the USMNT line up against Switzerland? 3
- British exec says England could look towards 2030 World Cup bid 1
- MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 2-1 Toronto FC 2