Jun 21, 2013, 4:57 PM EST
According to multiple reports, including from the BBC and Sunday Times, Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet will have a medical at Anfield ahead of a transfer.
The reports set the transfer fee at anywhere between £9-11 million ($13.9-17 million).
It would also displace current Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina, who has stated his intention to stay at Anfield despite rumors of interest from Spanish sides including Barcelona.
Those reporting say the medical is scheduled for Tuesday, as Mignolet is on vacation in Aruba until Monday. If all goes well, the deal could go through in a matter of days and 25-year-old Belgian would be a Red by midweek.
Sunday Times correspondent Jonathan Northcroft:
Mignolet medical mooted for Tuesday – only delay now is that he's on holiday in Aruba until Monday—
Jonathan Northcroft (@JNorthcroft) June 21, 2013
BBC chief soccer writer Phil McNulty:
The question now becomes will Liverpool force Pepe Reina out and try to recoup some of the money they spent on Mignolet, or will they keep Reina and have a competition between the two?
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league still at impasse as talks go down to the wire 0
- 2015 MLS Season Preview: Top 10 Newcomers 0
- Tuesday Premier League Preview: New managers square off in Midlands derby 0
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2